• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

some picks from hunting with my bear

maim

Staff member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 apex xtx
2011 apex xtx
2009 phaser rtx/x
1997 et410t/r
1988 vk 540
i have been moose hunting all season with my uncle and his buddies. did not see anything on the weeks holidays that i took :o| . kept trying every weekend untill the end of the season. season ended today.

got the call from my uncle tuesday. it was along the lines of "the cow is down" :Rockon: (moose) and proceded to tell me it is in a nasty spot. wanted me to go in and drive my bike to the moose. as i work 3:30pm-12:00am i phoned my boss and told him i was going to be very late wensday because of this moose. he has hunted and hauled before so he understood. as they wanted to use my bike to haul it they wanted me to drive it whitch i was fine with.

get to the camp at 8:00am and have breakfast. there are 6 of us to haul this cow moose, uncle bruce, jhon, mousey, norm, stan and myself. load the bike into the boat and the trailer my dad had made for hauling with a trimoto into the other boat.

now we unload at the trail. it is my uncled snowmobile trail for his trapline so it isnt too bad. stan and my uncle head out for the moose while the rest of us get to cut trail for the bike to get it as close as possible. scar up my bike some on a rock at horn lake going around a big rock (my poor rims). tried to superman one hill on the bike going over a rock. had to winch it 1/4 the way up at the top of one hill on way in. lost the trailer tip bolt bouncing through some holes, thank god we found it.

picture of jhon(closest), norm and mouse(farthest) making trail.
DSC01772.jpg

get to the last hill before the moose. scout the hill and decide i did not want to take my bike over those rocks. good thing, on the other side it was a 65-70 degree slope as we found out. parked the bike there and proceeded to walk to the moose. time is now 2:00pm.

pic at the bike before we went to moose
DSC01773.jpg

pick of the bike. you can see the scratch on the rear rim where it hit the rock.
DSC01774.jpg

walked the 1/4 mile to the moose. our timeing was excellent as it was ready to pack to the bike. i packed out the quarter with the blue pack frame and the one they where cutting on in the picture.
DSC01775.jpg
a picture of the head as she was a big one.
DSC01776.jpg

got the moose to the bike and trailer in about 1-1.5hrs. drove the bike back with a heavy load in the trailer. had to winch 3 times to get back to horn lake. from horn lake to where moose was shot was .76 mile according to gps. by bike try 3km of lumps, rocks and logs with hairpin corners and side hills thrown in for giggles.

pick of bike while taking a break by horn lake.
DSC01777.jpg

my uncle norm and mouse taking a break.
DSC01778.jpg

me with bike at same break.
DSC01779.jpg

had one spot of fun between there and boat. was coming down a hill to a creek with the brakes on. guess i was using the fronts a little too heavy as the trailer gave me a shove and the bike and the trailer formed a tepee with me hanging on to the bike. :ORC didnt get a pic as i was occupied and the camera was in my pocket.

got down to the boat on the lake where the camp is at 5:00pm. sent moose back 1st with a load of stuff off of the bike in another boat. bike was back at camp by 6:00pm.

pick of stan (left) mouse and the bike in the boat.
DSC01780.jpg

cooked supper and left camp by 7:15pm. dropped jhon off at home and made it to work by 9:00pm

not too bad a day in all. the 26" swamplites made the job much easyer with the added ground clearance and traction. total damage to the bike is a twisted trailer hitch (minor), scratcing my new rim (cosmetic) and loosing 2 screws for the l/s fender support. the sore shoulderand back muscles are just a small bounus. it was a fun day!

nice photo's,i love moose hunting pics,looks like the terrain is pretty smooth up there,its a bonus when hauling a moose out.we got a cow & calf this year at around 9:00 am in the third week and we were out of the bush at 10:00 pm that night,very bad hole.hunting was much harder this year for some reason,this is the first time in years that we havent killed the first weekend,looks like alot of hunters had the same thing to say,must be all that warm weather we got.one of my friend got a 65'' bull last weekend in the hearst area,apparently its an ontario record,i saw the rack and its impressive,well glad you's guys got youre moose,now we have to wait another 10 months before we can do it again

didn't have time totake pictures in the rough stuff. too busy picking a line to drive through that wouldn't flip the trailer.

nice that you got yours as well. we got a calf too but that was an easy one. it fell on shore so we could park the boat next to it. missed the cow with it though.

the cow in the pics was shot on the very top of a damn big hill. we rested and took time at the smooth spots. at the holes and rocks we where too busy to stop and take pictures.

moose hunting and snowmobiling are my two favorites pastimes,those yammis can really haul too,this year i had my new grizzly 700 s.e,didnt haul the moose out with it but had a blast getting to my favourite spots,mud,swamps,water,you name it,in our group,the policy is whoever shoots the moose,he hauls it out,luckily,we have 4 grizz,2 kodiaks,1 big bear and an oddball,a polaris 2 stroke chain drive,everytime we take it out for a run,theres maintenance to do after,funny

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg