• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spark Plugs

TurboMatt

Pro
Just wanted your thoughts on spark plugs.
This last week I was out in the Big Horns and had some starting problems with my '07 turbo Apex. It uses a Attitude fuel controller. I was using CR10EK plugs gapped to .020" It was EXTREMELY COLD this week.
Friday morning- it was like -10deg, in the morning. Sled started, barely, sounded like it was only running on 3 cyl for about 5 min, just let it idle and warm up, finally started firing correctly, ran fine all day.
Sat. morning- -10 deg out again this morning. Fired real hard again, ran for about 20 sec, died. It did this about 4-5 more times. Then nothing, couldn't even get it to pop. Tried it on & off all day, nothing, didn't really care it was New Year's day & I wanted to watch football anyways, I'll worry about it tomarrow.
Sun morning- Drove down the hill to try and find new plugs. No one had CR10EK's or CR10E's , all they had were CR9E's. I'm pretty sure this is the stock plug or close to it.Wanting at least salvage a little riding on this trip I bought them with the intent to just turn down the boost and ride. I put these plugs in and the sled fired right up. I left the gap at what they came out of the box at(looked like about .030")
Sled ran fine. I ran it all day Monday on these plugs, running about 8psi. No sputter, spark blow out, or the like.

Now the big question: How crazy would it be to leave these plugs in. I must say, I'm getting really sick of taking this thing apart. If I just planned on running around 11-13psi max on pump gas do you think I would be OK with these plugs? Or should I just bite the bullet and change them out?
Also, theoretically wouldnt the CR9E'a start easier since they are hotter?

Sorry for the long post.

God if I can remember but I think I am on stock plugs switching away from the 10's per the reccomendation on this site to use stock plugs to help keep it firing when in boost.

CR10EK can't handle much boost without better ignition module.

Stock plugs are best. But if u upgrade your ignition module so high that it can give enough spark for CR10EK then theyll work better. But I don't think it's needed. HP gains aren't so much.

For stock engines CR10EK are better

I originally tried the CR10EK's in my Apex when I went from a stage2 to 3. First dyno run started to experience misfires & power flatlining due to what I now believe to be the spark getting blown out at higher boost levels. Wasted alot of time and $$$ chasing my tail trying to figure it out... thought it was the setup or fuel problem, air problem, whatever.
Once FPP Justin heard what plugs I had installed, he quickly slapped me around for it and made me put in the stock plugs gapped at 0.018" and instant fix.
Couldn't believe it, 2-3 HP gain my a$$... maybe on a stocker with less turbulent combustion pressures.

mbarryracing said:
I originally tried the CR10EK's in my Apex when I went from a stage2 to 3. First dyno run started to experience misfires & power flatlining due to what I now believe to be the spark getting blown out at higher boost levels. Wasted alot of time and $$$ chasing my tail trying to figure it out... thought it was the setup or fuel problem, air problem, whatever.
Once FPP Justin heard what plugs I had installed, he quickly slapped me around for it and made me put in the stock plugs gapped at 0.018" and instant fix.
Couldn't believe it, 2-3 HP gain my a$$... maybe on a stocker with less turbulent combustion pressures.

What plugs are the stock plugs anyways? Is it CR9EB or just CR9E?

In extreme cold weather the 10s are just too cold, they run too cold to burn off carbon from the electrodes and they will foul before the engine is warm enough to burn the spark plugs clean.
.017-.018 inches or 0.4-0.5 cm is where you have to set your plug gap if you intend to run any amount of boost past 15 lbs IMO.
I ran 0.45 cm with the 10ers. Changed out the 10s after 2 seasons just for piece of mind, now I run 9ers now set at the same gap. They will take 20+ lbs without spark breakdown.

plugs

which plugs & what gap on a rx1 with boost , i am useing the 10's
at this time maybe i am wasting my money on these ?
thanks

Back