• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Speeding ticket

Yep and the OFSC wants to increase police presence and enforcement. Many in the south of the province think a stronger police presence is a good thing. No thanks!

Its why I like the north but around towns you have to slow down even here! They set up speed traps in town rarely but outside of town they leave us alone.

There's also a lot of trail in Ontario where you'd be hard pressed to carry 50Km/h between turns and still be on your side.

Unfortunately it all boils down to lawsuits in the end and this is a way for the OFSC and Province to reduce the risks to themselves.

As it is, I rarely if ever look at my speedo unless I'm approaching an area that is rumored to be radar popular, and during the week, I don't even bother looking down.

Sasquatch said:
Yep and the OFSC wants to increase police presence and enforcement. Many in the south of the province think a stronger police presence is a good thing. No thanks!
Its why I like the north but around towns you have to slow down even here! They set up speed traps in town rarely but outside of town they leave us alone.

Where did you hear or read about this Sasquatch? And when you say "Many" in the south want this, who are you referring too, the OFSC or permit buyer such as myself?

Is there any speed enforcement with ATVs on trails where they are allowed?

Hehehehe.you complane about speedingtickets.in Norway it is not legal to ride a snowmobile.exeptions is in a few fishingtrails and permits to your cabin.the fines ar from 8000 nkr and up!(1500$)

Crewchief47 said:
There's also a lot of trail in Ontario where you'd be hard pressed to carry 50Km/h between turns and still be on your side.

Unfortunately it all boils down to lawsuits in the end and this is a way for the OFSC and Province to reduce the risks to themselves.

As it is, I rarely if ever look at my speedo unless I'm approaching an area that is rumored to be radar popular, and during the week, I don't even bother looking down.

I agree, I never watch my speedo...

Well we got stopped again in North Bay Thursday at 830 in the morning by OPP sitting at a road crossing in a crew-cab. They checked everything but really seemed seemed interested in chin straps.

Curious, they checked on chin straps? You are talking about the chin straps on a helmet? I wear mine all the time and understand it is a safety feature so your helmet can't come off but can they really give you a ticket for that? You could be technically wearing a helmet even if you don't do up the chin strap. :dunno:

Not saying its smart to ride without doing it up but do know people that have a hard time with the strap and just don't bother with it. They say the helmet is too tight to come off anyway.

I keep hearing of guys getting tickets in the area for noisy exhaust. Both from Cops and Trail Wardens. It annoys me they sit on railways...I can see that its straight and safe to carry a speed. Where they need to be, if anywhere, is the tight and twisty's. The amount of times I come around a corner and some clown is on my side of the trail or about to lock skiis with me... I much prefer to ride at night.

A few weekends back on route from Whitney to Harcourt, a Friend and me stopped at a T just back from the stop sign to take a leak etc. I watched 3 different sleds come over this hill, miss the turn off, panic and lock em up and have to reverse to make the turn that we were on, almost hitting their friends. Thank god we sat back from the stop or they would have T-boned our sleds.

Also, I heard on lakes they can sit in channels where its a no wake zone in the summer and ticket you for not following posted speeds. It's all money grab BS.

Pykie said:
I keep hearing of guys getting tickets in the area for noisy exhaust. Both from Cops and Trail Wardens. It annoys me they sit on railways...I can see that its straight and safe to carry a speed. Where they need to be, if anywhere, is the tight and twisty's. The amount of times I come around a corner and some clown is on my side of the trail or about to lock skiis with me... I much prefer to ride at night.

A few weekends back on route from Whitney to Harcourt, a Friend and me stopped at a T just back from the stop sign to take a leak etc. I watched 3 different sleds come over this hill, miss the turn off, panic and lock em up and have to reverse to make the turn that we were on, almost hitting their friends. Thank god we sat back from the stop or they would have T-boned our sleds.

Also, I heard on lakes they can sit in channels where its a no wake zone in the summer and ticket you for not following posted speeds. It's all money grab BS.

I agree..almost got killed by a "motorcross wannabee yesterday in the woods on an inside turn. On my side he was. I'm pissed off. Tearing up the trails is one thing but getting a sled slammed into your or my son's body is another.
If you guys want to speed,motorcross,loud exhust...join the race circuits. Don't complain about safety rules. Public roads have them as well as every other thing in life. Just too many sleds on the trails now for any safe riding with no rules on the trails.

Now I remember why I don't ride groomed trails. Gotta love Newfoundland. All crown land. Lets hope it stays that way.

Pykie said:

Never heard that one before? Not sure how a chrag, if it was written up that way in the winter would ever stick?
I agree in part that most is just a money grab, but I also believe their presence does make a difference, especially helping keep the drunks off the trails. ;)!

Wow that's crazy I've been hearing more and more guys getting speeding tickets cops on rail beds on sleds with radars. Lakes too!? That's crazy there is no speed limit for boats.......yet.......we are all screwed have to start mountain riding.

Hey does the Street racing law in Ontario apply to sled speeding as well? 50km/h over speed limit and you loose your license?

On a side note We got stopped by Quebec Police the other day they were on 4 wheelers and they checked license registration trail passes vins etc they were very thorough and friendly and I like that kind of presence the friendly we like you guys here just making sure your sleds aren't stolen cause that happens a ot kind of presence. Makes me feel welcome and safe but being harassed for speeding on a wide open straight.....

Murse said:
Wow that's crazy I've been hearing more and more guys getting speeding tickets cops on rail beds on sleds with radars. Lakes too!? That's crazy there is no speed limit for boats.......yet.......we are all screwed have to start mountain riding.

Hey does the Street racing law in Ontario apply to sled speeding as well? 50km/h over speed limit and you loose your license?

The only place on a lake where they could possibly ticket you (which I have never heard of in my 40yrs of sledding) is if you are running in the OFSC staked part (ie: the trail across a lake)

And no, you cannot loose your license or have your sled impounded if you are doing 50 over the posted 50km/hr speed limit on a trail.
Around towns or cities is a different story, then it would most likely fall under a careless or dangerous driving charge.

Back