• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

spot GPS

r6chiro

Veteran
Has anyone has any experience with the spot GPS. I think the call search and rescue feature may be a good thing.

THanks

There've been 2 cases in Alaska where it saved a life. Don't have to worry about cell coverage.

I bought one last year and love it. I ride most of the time in areas with no cell coverage and it works great. The check in feature to pass on a message that I am okay and may be late is nice. Keeps the wife from worrying where I am. The tracking feature is a nice way to keep track of where I have been as well.

Nainduck is that a polar bear you have by the neck, nice well done

you can get the devices for next to nothing - (there is a SPOT 2 out now too)

The subscription is $10 per month - I wish I could turn it off during the summer......

So what are the main differences from the first generation to the second generation and is it worth it?

Thers 2 levels of service in canada anyways, the tracking service costs extra but the basic service you can still send the OK and HELP

Just purchased the new spot 2 gps. Once I tried to activate it, turns out there is a recall. They are sending me the return shipping package. New units supposed to be ready early 2010. Just a heads up. Cost was 169 US.

SPOT Vs. PLB - no comparison

I use to have a SPOT and I returned it as it was not reliable. SPOT is better than nothing but if you want something that can save your life as a measure of last resort - get an ACR PLB. I have attached the following video that compares the differences. Is your life worth $500?

I hope I never need to use it but if I do I am confident help will be on the way. Invest ten minutes and watch this video.

Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2IQrQxmv00

Back