• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper LTX SE or XF 7000?

I think both sleds would be fine, however the Yamaha probably has better out of the box clutch calibration. My Dad's XF7000 runs well, but could use some clutching. As far as clutch durability goes the Yamaha will probably be better, however with the changes they have made and the power the engine puts out the AC clutches will probably be fine as well.

It might all come down to what color or hood design you like better or what dealer you would rather deal with if you have trouble after the sale.

That is possible but you'd hafta find a belt that works. The issue with the cat clutches is mainly caused from the secondary tho. The primary on the 7000 runs roughly #*$&@ cool as the viper as far as temp.

Why would someone buy a Viper for 250$ more? Are Yamaha clutches worth that? Artic claims to have better clutching and the reviews ( on Snowtrax and Snowmobile.com anyway ) Say that the artic cat has more aggressive clutching. The colors are cool too, I am just curious and wanted to ask the question. Are the XF's having same little issues as the Vipers? Quick search on Artic chat doesn't reveal too much that I can see.

I am bracing for impact on this one....

Pick your colour, both should be good sleds. Yamaha clutches work and belts last (Yamaha belts are cheeper as well) even though 3 Star builds for both (all) manufactures.
As far as issues Cat guys are have gotten more willing to (accept) than we are.

I'm personally very impressed with the cat 7000 sleds, first of all they put a nice storage tunnel bag on them, they have the goggle bag and come with a heated seat, non of which came on my ltx se with the exception of the little sandwich bag on the tunnel. The 7000 sleds are not blowing belts, pretty sure cat has solved that on their sleds and the fact that it uses the yammi engine makes it a bit smoother. I can understand why reviews say that the cat clutching felt more aggressive, they are running lighter weights than the viper which makes it very jumpy down low and it will really lunge out on you but after that it over revs and looses power where the viper did not. I rode side by side a decent amount last year with an xf7000 and to be honest once they both had clutch kits (viper and 7000) the 7000 was quicker out of the hole and better in the deep snow. Cat clutches are still inefficient as far as heat and longevity, but I've seen over and over again where they make for a faster sled

First of all this is a year old thread. Why do I think a Yamaha has more value? It comes down to better Warranty with no deductible and the clutches which are longer lasting and can be rebuilt with parts from Yamaha. Many of the wear parts in cat clutches are not available. They are both awesome sleds and up to now AC has Yamaha beat in response time for issues. Heated seat and bag on limiteds sure makes it a tough choice.

I could have went either way coming off an Apex and never owning a Cat.
It came down to $ for me, bought a leftover '14 ZR7000 Ltd.
The little extras as mentioned were a nice bonus.

Attachments

• YamaCat 001.JPG
    YamaCat 001.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 111
cat was a lot cheaper then yamahas here so no brainer for me....im a member on arcticchat and ive yet to see anyone on there have belt issues...i pushed mine very hard the few weeks i had mine last winter and the belt looks fine...that included countless hours slush riding. Calltrex has more miles then i and he has no belt issues either. Most people just assume cat has bad clutching because of the turbos that experience it, that is more turbo heat, alignment and other things then the clutch its self.

Not sure what the $ amount would be for me to have gone with Cat, but I think the warrenty and this site are probably the biggest issues!

250--Yami 1000-- Cat ; 700--- oh now it is dealor support but that is with similar warrenty.

Yamadoo

This is some funny #*$&@ here. Yamaha guys bragging how much faster there cat is vs the cat which it came from. Ulmer has switched out clutches from one to another so I wonder how much better the yamaha button secondary really works?

This is some funny #*$&@ here. Yamaha guys bragging how much faster there cat is vs the cat which it came from. Ulmer has switched out clutches from one to another so I wonder how much better the yamaha button secondary really works?

According to Old Forge Shoot Out the XF7000 was almost a second slower than the SR Viper......just sayin......

Yamaha SR Viper LTX SE quickest sled of the 600-class at 24th Old Forge Shoot-Out!
December 15, 2013 at 8:09pm
Pleasant Prairie, WI—The 2014 SR Viper LTX SE laid consistent passes down the storied quarter-mile track at the White Otter Fish & Game Club during the 24th annual Old Forge Shoot-Out to prove that it is the quickest sled among 600-class performance models.
Yamaha-exclusive YVXC clutching harnessed the monstrous torque of the High Performance Genesis triple, to post a quarter-mile time of 12.5 seconds in both box stock and dealer prep rounds of the independent acceleration test. According to the unofficial results announced on site, the Viper was .4 seconds quicker to the finish line than the closest competitive 4-stroke sled and .2 seconds quicker than the closest competitive 2-stroke sled.
“The Old Forge Shoot-Out is the first independent test of true box stock, production sleds,” said Yamaha Snowmobile Product Manager Rob Powers. “It really shows the strength of the new SR Viper models and the efficiency of our YVXC clutches in transferring the Genesis engine’s power to the snow.”

True in that shootout, though there have been others with different results. Another one had the zr7000 quicker. I can't remember where that one was off the top if my head. Doesn't really matter. Get the clutching working well on the Cat and Yamaha and it's a crapshoot as to who comes out on top.
The magazines have also been all over the map as to which stock clutching they prefer.

True in that shootout, though there have been others with different results. Another one had the zr7000 quicker. I can't remember where that one was off the top if my head. Doesn't really matter. Get the clutching working well on the Cat and Yamaha and it's a crapshoot as to who comes out on top.
The magazines have also been all over the map as to which stock clutching they prefer.

Agreed.

Back