• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Viper owner

Cabinflyer

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper S-TX 137 DX, 2016 XF 6000 Crosstrek, 2007 AC 660T
Today I am the new owner of a 2016 SR Viper S-TX 137 DX (Dang that's a mouthful!). The sled was one owner who rode it one time, and only has 113 miles on it. He fogged the engine, and greased it all up prior to storing it. I had the Yamaha dealer change the oil and did the ECU flash. He says it is in pristine shape, and ready to go.

I had a 2014 AC XF 7000 Crosstour, so I'm familiar with the 1049 engine.

My friend has this exact Viper sled. The only thing I noticed when riding it was the clutch shifted a little different than my XF 7000. Not saying it was better or worse, just different. I thought the skis darted on the trail, worse than my sled. It has double carbides

So...is there any clutching issues with this year and model? Also, I ride mainly trails and the lakes here in Northern Minnesota, and do it at or below the posted speed limit since my brother is a DNR officer, and I don't doubt it for a minute he'd give me a ticket as revenge. Is there a better ski than stock for this type of riding?

Thanks!!

The clutching might seem a bit different with the Yamaha clutches compared to your old cat clutches. Thunder Products makes a great kit if you want to make a change. As for the skis there are lots of options but if mostly riding groomed trails hard to beat the value of the Cat skis. That's what I switched to and they were a nice improvement over the stock tuner skis. The stock tuner skis only seem to work on very hard pack fresh trails. Once things start to get chewed up they push in the turns.

Today I am the new owner of a 2016 SR Viper S-TX 137 DX (Dang that's a mouthful!). The sled was one owner who rode it one time, and only has 113 miles on it. He fogged the engine, and greased it all up prior to storing it. I had the Yamaha dealer change the oil and did the ECU flash. He says it is in pristine shape, and ready to go.

My friend has this exact Viper sled. The only thing I noticed when riding it was the clutch shifted a little different than my XF 7000. Not saying it was better or worse, just different. I thought the skis darted on the trail, worse than my sled. It has double carbides

So...is there any clutching issues with this year and model? Also, I ride mainly trails and the lakes here in Northern Minnesota, and do it at or below the posted speed limit since my brother is a DNR officer, and I don't doubt it for a minute he'd give me a ticket as revenge. Is there a better ski than stock for this type of riding?

Thanks!!
First off, congrats on the new to you sled! You'll get a ton of life outta that sled with only 100 miles on it!

As for the clutching, yeah it's different from the Cats..... I got used to it. Takes a few rides but you'll figure it out.

As for the stock tuner skis, ditch them and get a set of C&A razors with some Snow Stud Double Down 6' carbides.. You'll go exactly where you point the bars.

Also, another handling tip, order the Bill Mohr center shock spring for the front skid shock. $75 and well worth it IMHO. Much better weight transfer when taking off.

I ride same trails but south of you out of Duluth. I have a15 STXDX my tuners are way better with 6 inch carbides in the inside and 4 on the outside.
Never tried it myself but have heard trail guys love the Sno trackers for tuner skis
Enjoy

Put cat skis on my 16 se with dual 6 inch carbides.way better than tuners.thunder products big venom kit and good to go.

Congrats on your new purchase. My 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre loves the Cat ski's and Woodies single 6" carbides.

I ride same trails but south of you out of Duluth. I have a15 STXDX my tuners are way better with 6 inch carbides in the inside and 4 on the outside.
Never tried it myself but have heard trail guys love the Sno trackers for tuner skis
Enjoy

My buddy and I both have stock Tuners on our Sidewinder LTX's with the Snow Tracker carbides. Overall, I think that I prefer the Cat skis with Snow Trackers on them, but putting the Trackers on your Tuners is probably the most cost-effective solution. Like all Snow Trackers, they do not dart, period. They hold the corners in most if not all conditions, and they steer easy. There are several aftermarket skis that are a big improvement over the Tuners, but the Trackers are an easy fix for the problems that most people have with them.

Ordered some stuff from Rock yesterday. No freeze relay, headlight adjuster, and HID kit. Rock says lights are plug and play and anybody should be able to install it. So if I can do it then yes ANYBODY can. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Go to Rocztoyz.com to see his products. Great guy to deal with, quality stuff!

Ordered some stuff from Rock yesterday. No freeze relay, headlight adjuster, and HID kit. Rock says lights are plug and play and anybody should be able to install it. So if I can do it then yes ANYBODY can. Keep your fingers crossed!!!
Put them in my 7000. Awesome kit!
FB_IMG_1572397139464.jpg

Thanks!!

If your strictly a trail rider I'd toss a set of stock Cat skis on it personally, especially if that's what your use to from the Crosstour. I ride of trail quite a bit so I upgraded my Cat skis to Powder Pros, but I was quite happy with the Cat skis on the trail (14' vipers had cat skis stock). As far as the clutching I went with the Thunder Products kit since I found the stock clutch to be WAY too jumpy at slow speeds, it also helped my top end speed by quite a bit. (who can stay under 50mph on Lake Vermilion?)

If your strictly a trail rider I'd toss a set of stock Cat skis on it personally, especially if that's what your use to from the Crosstour. I ride of trail quite a bit so I upgraded my Cat skis to Powder Pros, but I was quite happy with the Cat skis on the trail (14' vipers had cat skis stock). As far as the clutching I went with the Thunder Products kit since I found the stock clutch to be WAY too jumpy at slow speeds, it also helped my top end speed by quite a bit. (who can stay under 50mph on Lake Vermilion?)
I think I will take that advice. I mostly ride the trails or the lakes up here.
I had a 2014 Crosstour, but the Viper's cousin is really the Crosstrek XF 7000. The Crosstrek and Crosstour skis are different. Fortunately. last year I got a 2016 XF 6000 Crosstrek and it uses the same ski as the XF 7000. I'll swap them out and give them a try!

I think I will take that advice. I mostly ride the trails or the lakes up here.
I had a 2014 Crosstour, but the Viper's cousin is really the Crosstrek XF 7000. The Crosstrek and Crosstour skis are different. Fortunately. last year I got a 2016 XF 6000 Crosstrek and it uses the same ski as the XF 7000. I'll swap them out and give them a try!
Those are the same skis that I had on my 2015 LTX 137" when it got totaled. I had the semi-aggressive Snow Trackers on them, and that sled was the best handling sled I have ever ridden. I highly recommend the Snow Trackers, but I understand that there are some other good options out there as well. Regardless, that should be an excellent ski for your sled.

Back