• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter Questions!

The only way the starter can turn at engine rpms would be if the one way starter clutch was siezed / stuck.
Has not happened to me but if you review old starter relay threads, there are a number of posts about the starter relay remaining engaged, keeping the starter engaged (I presume) and turning at engine rpm (claimed). So many that an LED kit was created that turns on when relay powers starter side and then should go off when you let go of the key. If the LED remains on, then the starter is engaged. Grizz may be able to chime in as I think he had some input on those old threads. When I got my sled I went back to the beginning and read I think through the first 500 or so threads to learn the ins and outs of the Nytro. Great Intel back there. I suspect you are also correct if the starter clutch had an issue you would not need power from relay to keep things engaged.

Has not happened to me but if you review old starter relay threads, there are a number of posts about the starter relay remaining engaged, keeping the starter engaged (I presume) and turning at engine rpm (claimed). So many that an LED kit was created that turns on when relay powers starter side and then should go off when you let go of the key. If the LED remains on, then the starter is engaged. Grizz may be able to chime in as I think he had some input on those old threads. When I got my sled I went back to the beginning and read I think through the first 500 or so threads to learn the ins and outs of the Nytro. Great Intel back there. I suspect you are also correct if the starter clutch had an issue you would not need power from relay to keep things engaged.
I've seen a starter relay stick on a high mile 07Apex, which fried the starter, because they just aren't designed to run that long. However, unless the one-way starter clutch is seized/stuck, the starter will not be forced to spin higher.
If the starter clutch actually does seize, the starter would actually be spinning much, much higher than the engine due to the gear ratio.

I've seen a starter relay stick on a high mile 07Apex, which fried the starter, because they just aren't designed to run that long. However, unless the one-way starter clutch is seized/stuck, the starter will not be forced to spin higher.
If the starter clutch actually does seize, the starter would actually be spinning much, much higher than the engine due to the gear ratio.
correct, I doubt any hilliard has ever stuck engaged, if anything, they fail to grab. If somehow it were to happen, the starter would spin so fast it would come through the hood. the stuck relay spins the starter at cranking speed, eventually burning up beyond its duty cycle. also the only stuck relays I have ever seen were on mowers that wouldn't start and the owner held the key until the solenoid welded or melted.

correct, I doubt any hilliard has ever stuck engaged, if anything, they fail to grab. If somehow it were to happen, the starter would spin so fast it would come through the hood. the stuck relay spins the starter at cranking speed, eventually burning up beyond its duty cycle. also the only stuck relays I have ever seen were on mowers that wouldn't start and the owner held the key until the solenoid welded or melted.
Yup

NEVER USE A PRY BAR, BROKE MY DRAIN PAN... too much pressure on any one point and the metal is much thinner than it seems.

Well last week my starter crapped out because my relay crapped out, starter is froze and the new relay just clicks. So now I'm doing this fun job of removing it. I don't have any questions about getting the starter out. My question is when I look on online at new starters I see some that are $100 and some that are $350 but all say I can use them in my nytro. What have people used for starters? Aftermarket or OEM? Thanks in advance.
I have a question about getting the starter out. I have the bolts out and everything but how do I get it out of the sled?

Stay far away from Chinese starters... They use trash parts like recycled soda cans cast with bubbles and brass bearings. Nothing except the hardware is interchangeable.
Easier to just tear apart and have a look, I've reglued/epoxied loose magnets (jammed up ~ possibly your problem) this way and came out fine... Otherwise don't toss it and save to buy OEM, set old starter aside for parts.

Back