• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter shot

N2DEEP

Veteran
Not much luck with my new mtx, lost last weekend to loosing all the engine oil and now the starter just went for a #*$&@. From day one the starter did not sound right have to wait to see what the dealer finds. I know with 20 k into this sled and having to pull up to the boys ridding the wife's sled is getting pretty old, also having to carry a tow rop for a Yamaha ? Never had to do that before. SAD the sled has only 560 mi on it , oh ya and the tri-post steering bushing is pretty much gone already too. Get it together Yamaha

If I thought that was a piss off my wife's sled is in the next bay with the same starter problem, motor on its way out. Double Ouch

WOW SORRY TO HEAR THAT
MAKE SURE THEY CHECK THE ONE WAY BEARING AND THE FLYWHEEL SURFACE.
WHEN I FIXED ONE AT MY WORK LAST YEAR THE TEETH NEVER WENT THROUGH THE MOTOR
BUT ALL THOSE PARTS HAD TO BE REPLACED.
P.S. THATS THE NEW YAMACAT ,I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING WITH A CAT PART IN IT OR ON IT .!!!

P.S. THATS THE NEW YAMACAT ,I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING WITH A CAT PART IN IT OR ON IT .!!!
Seriously??? I dont see how this is an Arctic cat problem. These engines are delivered to Thief River Falls from Yamaha with the starter already on the engine. All Arctic cat is doing is installing them in their chassis.

Seriously??? I dont see how this is an Arctic cat problem. These engines are delivered to Thief River Falls from Yamaha with the starter already on the engine. All Arctic cat is doing is installing them in their chassis.

IMO, and again, my opinion! The battery location, battery cable length, and ECU tuning is causing this. The extended cranking time to start is causing havoc. The battery voltage drops when cranking, below XXX volts, the fuel injection system no longer fires = continued cranking with no starting = starter & components wear & tear. Just my .02!

the starter solenoid is arctic cat which I think is part of the problem also,i have worked on 75-100 nytro's and I have never seen this problem tricky nick!

IMO, and again, my opinion! The battery location, battery cable length, and ECU tuning is causing this. The extended cranking time to start is causing havoc. The battery voltage drops when cranking, below XXX volts, the fuel injection system no longer fires = continued cranking with no starting = starter & components wear & tear. Just my .02!
Hmm. That is actually the best explanation I've heard so far. Definitely worth looking into

Has anyone done a voltage drop test while cranking yet?
How about run a thicker guage battery leads?

Last edited:
Mine has always fired right up like normal, I also have the MPI kit so not sure if the GEMS controller has anything to do with that.

My MPI Viper definitely doesn't fire up like the Impulse Nytro! My Viper takes about 1 full sec of crank time to fire up nearly EVERY time. TOUCH the key on the Nytro and it fire instantly...

So the extended crank time, long leads with battery location, and ECU differences make sense to me.

My MPI Viper definitely doesn't fire up like the Impulse Nytro! My Viper takes about 1 full sec of crank time to fire up nearly EVERY time. TOUCH the key on the Nytro and it fire instantly...

So the extended crank time, long leads with battery location, and ECU differences make sense to me.

Yet both of mine fire right up even around 0 degrees. If the leads and battery were wrong neither of mine would fire right up, now that is not saying you can't have a bad battery even new.

Back