• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter slipping on 05 RX1 and a possible cheap fix.

Here is a way to fix your starter clutch from slipping it says to simply shorten the spring to make it fit snugger. Here is a link on how to do it. Wish I would have found this earlier as mine showed no real signs of wear on either the gear that it runs on or the sprag cam bearings but the spring was not as tight as the used one I installed. If it happens to me again I am just going to shorten the spring like it says in the link.

http://www.mad-ducati.com/Technical/Sta ... lutch.html

I had very hard starting sled. Every time it fired clutch disengaged. Fouled plugs and sled would only start above 15 degrees. Finally clutch would just slip. Thought it would be worth describing the sequence we followed.

Lifted left front of sled to allow better access. We used a car ramp under ski. Removed side panel. Removed oil reservoir upper lines and sending unit plug. Removed the two bolts 10 mm and one nut 12mm holding reservoir. Leave the lower line and set off to the side. Removed hex head screws on the flywheel cover. These are different lengths so record the sequence. Remove cover to expose the flywheel. Remove flywheel (we broke a puller). Pull off flywheel only. See picture of flywheel, clutch. Clutch is sandwiched between flywheel and bracket. Remove three hex head screws. Clutch comes right out. It has a direction so pay attention. Lay the clutch flat and carefully remove spring otherwise clutch cams go everywhere. We took the spring apart first. This was the hardest part because it is only a few mm in diameter. Cut 1/4" off spring. Hold one end of the spring and twist the spring so it readily screws back together otherwise it will unscrew itself. Put spring back on clutch. Resin stall in reverse.

Thanks to all who pointed me to this repair. New clutch is $100 to $150 and you must do everything identified except the spring removal shortening and reinstall. This is a real savings.

spacer.gif

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 249
I know this is an old thread but I need to perform this fix on my 03 RX1. Do I need a special puller for removing the flywheel or will a standard harmonic balancer puller work. Also, I assume that I cut the 1/4" off the wide part of the spring ans not the tapered part. Correct

I know this is an old thread but I need to perform this fix on my 03 RX1. Do I need a special puller for removing the flywheel or will a standard harmonic balancer puller work. Also, I assume that I cut the 1/4" off the wide part of the spring ans not the tapered part. Correct

I tried doing this and it worked for about 3-4 starts and started slipping again...if you have lots of time it may be worth trying but to me it's not worth doing things twice. Get the crankcase gasket when you order the new sprag clutch just in case it rips (mine did) when removing the cover. Mark your bolts holding the cover on some are longer than others. Blue Loc tite the 3 Allen screws holding the sprag clutch in (mine were backed out when removed the first time) a harmonic balancer puller should work to pull the stator off. You also need a drive clutch holding tool to retourqe the stator bolt (very tight). Keep your fingers on the outside of the case when reinstalling the cover, the magnets inside will pull the cover and squish your fingers if in between.

Back