• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starting tips after summer storage

Vector1

Expert
I started my Vector today, but at I had to spray fuel in the carbs to get the fuel flowing. I tried for 5 minutes with the choke and would not fire.

I started ours last week and all I had to do is open the choke and it started right up

Could you have been low on fuel??
Not that should of caused it

Goos luck

You did everything right. Just charge the battery and go. Sometimes they just don't start up right away. Maybe the fuel evaporated out of the carbs? However, it shouldn't take that long, just a few extra turns and it should fire. My SRX had the carbs full beyond normal and I had to drain them in the fall. They were so full the fuel wouldn't get pulled in.

Read this in the September 2005 issue of SnowTech.
So when old gas gums up the carbs on your sled, what jets are most often affected? Usually it is the pilot jets; the sled doesn't want to run very well at just above idle or at idle unless the choke is applied is a typical symptom at fall start-up.

Typically, it is the smaller passages of the pilot jets that plug up with corrosion and crap first. Problem is, carbureted four-strokes from Yamaha all have even smaller pilot jets than what we've all been used to dealing with. For example, the RX-1 is fitted with #17.5 pilot jets!

Moral of the story; be aware of the smaller pilots and their increased susceptibility to blockage due to fuel quality and storage issues. We continue to see exceptional success with the goofy little Fitch Fuel Catalysts that we drop into every gas can and fuel tank we have.

In the spring I added Sta Bil to a full tank of gas and started my RS sleds once a month after that. I have had no problems at all and don't think I will.

Sea-Foam is great to clean your fuel injectors on your truck. My engine service light came on poured in a can of Sea-Foam (NAPA Stores) and within 5 miles light went out. Every 10,000 miles or so I add a can to keep the injectors clean from the "cheap" gas. Referring to quality of gas not the price! I did pour some into my sleds (2-strokes) last Fall out of storage. Wierd but first ride I replace plugs on both sleds, kinda thought the Sea-Foam was to hot for the sleds and burnt the plugs. However, after replacing the plugs no problems after 2000 plus miles for the Winter.

If it doesn't start up on choke, then the fuel pump is probably DRY. You need to force the fuel into the fuel pump by pressurizing the gas tank. Open the hood, behind the secondary clutch a clear hose is fitted onto the FRAME, pull it off and BLOW INTO IT, then cork it off, full choke, closed throttle, and crank a bit.

Back