• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starving for fuel with Hurricane

R00STER

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 Nytro xtx 1.75
I installed a "previously enjoyed" full Hurricane kit with PCV, air box mod, and full exhaust this year, although I got it used, it was in amazing shape. Low end and mid range power is great, but when I stab the throttle it surges like its bouncing off of the rev limiter.
I have been working on some of the possibilities that I was hitting the rev limiter first before posting, so here is where I'm at.
Because I bought it used, I verified that it had the stock Hurricane map in the PCV, and it does.
I found that I had a coil bind in the secondary, and I cured that with an orange spring from Thunder Products.
I found that I had excessive play in the secondary bushing which I felt may be binding the driven clutch causing over revving, so I replaced the bushing. So, along with a full cleaning and inspection, I am happy that the issue is not in the secondary.
Because I originally thought that I was hitting the rev limiter (RPM's approaching 9400), I ended up putting more weight in the fly tips. I'm now running 4.5 g's in the tips (stage 2 Schmidt Bros), and this has brought my RPM's down nicely to where they should be.
So that's where I'm at, clutch shifts at 8700-8900, and top RPM's are around 9100. Sounds great right, but I'm still getting the surging at WOT just like I'm on the rev limiter, but I'm only at 9100 RPM!
I'm convinced that my fuel system is clean as I only ran Shell gold gas due to no ethanol added (running regular gas now to match the PCV tune). Plus, the machine is always stored properly, and I do run a cleaner in the fuel every now and then (just to make me feel good).
So I'm thinking that I need more fuel when the throttle is at 100%, but I'm thinking that there is no way that I am the only one who experienced this with a Hurricane kit. I also wonder about the guys that ran an autotune on their Nytros. Did the auto tune add more fuel to the map at RPM's over 8700?
I have been beating my head against the wall on this one, and I would totally appreciate some more input!

Check your weight arm bushings. I had the exact same issue you are having and finally changed the bushings in the arms and my problem went away. I keep a very close eye on bushings and their wear and I was blown away by how much I would have considered "be ok for this year" movement on the arm pin made such a huge difference on performance of the engine. There was never a issue with the sled in stock form, just had the issue once the add-ons where installed. Just something to check. Dave has them in stock also which was mint.

I just had them off, and they seemed really good. I installed the Schmidt Bros spacer on them, so they swing out freely, but zero side to side play. Bushing were replaced about 6000 km ago.
I will inspect them a little closer and more critically this week!

For argument sake I double checked the bushings and they are in fact in great shape. The fly arms pivot freely with no unwanted slop.
I still think that it has to do with mapping or fuel delivery. Once I let off the fuel about 10% the surging//missing stops.

Rooster
Does it start up hot or cold & idle fine ?
I’ve recently had hurricane suggested item installed on a 09 nytro
Pcv pti with 430 injectors on a 5 lb boost max turbo
Pain in my a$$ to get it to run properly
It’s a generic map and needs adjustments
My email lu

The system runs flawlessly other than at WOT. Lots of pep down low, and mid range. Idle is great no matter the temp.

After more testing, I am strongly convinced that it could have to do with the throttle position sensor. Just running the diagnostic feature, I can see that the lower limit with the carbs closed is in spec (16). However, with the throttle held wide open, I am only getting 86, and the target should be between 94 and 100.
I will be testing this theory out this week, as soon as I have a bit of time.

Rooster have you checked your co setting and throttle end play ?
My tps is the same 16/ 89 runs strong on wot
Afr or auto tune would be helpful ?
I’ve deleted my tps map to pressure base “turbo”
and finally got it running properly. I
Still notice a slight hesitation on throttle application but with afr and auto tune I’ll get it cured .
Be careful adjusting the tps “I wouldn’t” what you gain on top you’ll lose at the bottom. Your Pcv has a tp calibrations check that
0/100 and your volts with your altitude.
In the meantime keep the rubber side down ....

THANK YOU very much for your help Blownhard! The things that you mention about adjusting the TPS to compensate the top end would also raise the bottom is right in line with my thoughts on it yesterday, that's why I was holding off on tackling that project until I could read a bit more about it. My throttle end play is adjusted properly as per specs.
But, for as great as your help is, it really leaves me to think that my only answer that I have now is either drop another 500 bucks on an Autotune to put my map on spec for my sled, or just start manually adjusting the fuel map at 100% throttle until I eliminate the surging. That brings me back to my original post where I put out a request to the guys that ran an Autotune along with the Hurricane Hindle power up kit. If they could share their maps after running an Autotune, it would really help out guys that are experiencing issues with their systems! There is many conversations around the midrange hiccup, and running an Autotune to try and smoothen it out, so there is probably some good maps out there.
Right now my system is as smooth as silk up to 80-90% thumb pull, but once I squeeze to the bar it starts to burp and fart and surge violently. Testing has shown me that the only common denominator is that its only at WOT. I have seen it at many speeds and many different RPM's, i.e., if I gun it from takeoff it will act up by 100km/h while still in shifting RPM range. However, if I ease off the fuel a bit and only hold the throttle at 80-90%, I can achieve full shift out and top speeds well over 150km/h until I get greedy and try to squeeze it to the bar.
I hate to admit it, but these are the only ideas I have left.

THANK YOU very much for your help Blownhard! The things that you mention about adjusting the TPS to compensate the top end would also raise the bottom is right in line with my thoughts on it yesterday, that's why I was holding off on tackling that project until I could read a bit more about it. My throttle end play is adjusted properly as per specs.
But, for as great as your help is, it really leaves me to think that my only answer that I have now is either drop another 500 bucks on an Autotune to put my map on spec for my sled, or just start manually adjusting the fuel map at 100% throttle until I eliminate the surging. That brings me back to my original post where I put out a request to the guys that ran an Autotune along with the Hurricane Hindle power up kit. If they could share their maps after running an Autotune, it would really help out guys that are experiencing issues with their systems! There is many conversations around the midrange hiccup, and running an Autotune to try and smoothen it out, so there is probably some good maps out there.
Right now my system is as smooth as silk up to 80-90% thumb pull, but once I squeeze to the bar it starts to burp and fart and surge violently. Testing has shown me that the only common denominator is that its only at WOT. I have seen it at many speeds and many different RPM's, i.e., if I gun it from takeoff it will act up by 100km/h while still in shifting RPM range. However, if I ease off the fuel a bit and only hold the throttle at 80-90%, I can achieve full shift out and top speeds well over 150km/h until I get greedy and try to squeeze it to the bar.

Afr gauges is a must then you can visualize if it’s lean or rich.
Again make sure your pc is calibrated for your application

I'm also not sure of the best AFR for a naturally aspirated Nytro.
Should it be different for different RPM's?

Back