• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stator/Pickup sensor replacement

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
I got the code 12 last winter after the last ride of year.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/code-12.128991/

It happened when I went to put sled away for summer. Had sat for a few weeks and just would not start with code. I checked sensor with OHM meter and it was definitly out of spec. Why. I have no idea.
Not as bad a job as thought. Used to removing front end and with it removed access to all bolts is possible. Dont even have to drain coolant since waterpump comes off as a unit. Here are some pics and if anyone runs into this feel free to ask any questions.
DSC00643.JPG
DSC00644.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG
sealant.jpg

I assume that this might fix my Code 12 issue without the need to replace the stator. Has anyone used one of these? Not sure why it says for 2010 and newer Phazer. Mine is an 09'. Thx G.B.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Phazer-MTX-RTX-500cc-2010-2015-Ignition-Sensor-Pickup-Coil-NEW/263060001494?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
A buddy of mine used one on his Apex and worked great. So yes that's the actual part that causes the code and no start. Just have to Seperate the Stator and pickup wires at the rubber grommet.

A buddy of mine used one on his Apex and worked great. So yes that's the actual part that causes the code and no start. Just have to Seperate the Stator and pickup wires at the rubber grommet.

Great, thanks Steve! I think its worth trying for the money. I was going to go with the SPI stator and sensor set up as it is half the price of the Yamaha one and with this I get to keep the Yamaha stator. Thx. G.B.

Hey Steve, I finally got to working on the Phazer tonight and got the stator housing off. What a PIA job I have to say. I bought the SPI crank position sensor and plan to wire it up to the stock stator. Question, the wire color is different between the original sensor and the new SPI sensor. Does it matter which wire goes were? The SPI sensor is on the right with the black and white wires. The original sensor has a black and grey wire. Thx, G.B.
Crank sensor.jpg

Nothing in instructions? Best guess is black to black and white to gray
No instructions included. So IDK? The wires are molded into position coming out of the sensor. You can see in the pic that the black wire on each sensor is in a different place. The add for this sensor said it fit a 2010 Phazer and newer. I checked the Yamaha part numbers for the stator assembly including the crank sensor. 2009 had a different part number than the 2010 but shows that the 2010 part number replaces the different 2009 part number. So the part should be compatible but Yamaha might have changed the wiring color? I am trying to see if SPI has a Tech phone number to see if they have a wiring schematic for their sensor. G.B.

I don't know with the Phazer but on the apex people claim to have to elongate the holes to get it to proper adjustment. FWIW

I don't know with the Phazer but on the apex people claim to have to elongate the holes to get it to proper adjustment. FWIW
Installed the new SPI crank sensor last night. It dropped right in and located itself to the stator cover. With the help of michdog2011, we put the sled back together. 1st attempt to start the sled we turned the key and got nothing. No click, nothing. After going over connectors to make sure we plugged them all in, we found that pushing and wiggling the wiring harness for the ECU and relay bank would produce a clicking, arcing sound when you hit the key. Cant believe that having the crank sensor wiring wrong trying to match up colors of the wires would cause this issue? When I found that the crank sensor was bad the sled would atleast turn over and crank just not fire. Anybody have any ideas or experience anything similar? thanks, G.B.

Installed the new SPI crank sensor last night. It dropped right in and located itself to the stator cover. With the help of michdog2011, we put the sled back together. 1st attempt to start the sled we turned the key and got nothing. No click, nothing. After going over connectors to make sure we plugged them all in, we found that pushing and wiggling the wiring harness for the ECU and relay bank would produce a clicking, arcing sound when you hit the key. Cant believe that having the crank sensor wiring wrong trying to match up colors of the wires would cause this issue? When I found that the crank sensor was bad the sled would atleast turn over and crank just not fire. Anybody have any ideas or experience anything similar? thanks, G.B.
It’s a coincidence. Check battery and all grounds.

What did you find GB?
SHE RUNS AGAIN!!!! Special thanks to michdog2011 for helping me through this fix. Couldn't have done it without him!

Sorry for the delay in replying. I had shoulder surgery and then we had a couple Holidays. So finally got back out in the garage today. So my no crank issue after replacing the crank sensor was a ground I forgot to reconnect. Duh! So after that the sled would start and run rough for 30 seconds and then die. Since I didn't get any instructions with the SPI sensor I went with our best guess on Black to Black and White to Grey for the wiring. Since we didn't really take any other wires apart to replace the crank sensor, decided to switch the wires on the crank sensor. You can access the crank sensor connector right near the voltage regulator under the head light on the left side. This was our plan when we had the stator out knowing we would not have to take sled completely apart to switch the wires. So using a dental pick we where able to pull female wiring pins out of the connector so we didn't have to cut splice and solder switching the wires. That was sweet!

I haven't ridden the sled yet but it seems to run in the garage just great. Again this SPI crank sensor was only $18 shipped! Compare this to $140 for an SPI stator and crank sensor or $280 ish for the Yamaha stator and crank sensor.

So anyone using this SPI crank sensor as a fix here is the correct wiring orientation:
Yamaha BLACK wire to SPI WHITE wire and Yamaha GREY wire to SPI BLACK wire.

Now I can finish prepping the sled to sell. I have a Nytro project that I need to get too after my shoulder is rehabbed to get ready for the 2018/2019 season. Many thanks to Cannondale and others here on TY for your help with this. G.B.

Last edited:

Back