• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Still losing track clips - solutions?

mdkuni

TY 4 Stroke Guru
I had a brand new Predator installed after the Ripsaw was showing signs of wear. The Ripsaw was losing clips bad. Almost all of them in a 200 mile ride.

With the new Predator installed I have lost a great number again and the ones that remain have the guides on the clip snapped off. This is after about 1700 miles.

My dealer does not know why. Yamaha does not know why and they did not even cover my last set of clips. My dealer took care of it out of their own pocket!

I have rebolted the slide rail caps. I even replaced one of the caps so they are both snug. I have the anti-rub kit from Ulmer installed but this was an issue before then. My track is run fairly loose. I go in a couple turns once it rachets. I even went in another turn after some talk about the track being loose and casuing the problem.

Can anyone solve this?

I went through this with my GT. I put in a new track ( fully cliped, Predrilled, Rip Saw) Also had the drive shaft trued and found it had a slight bend in it. I replaced the shaft and had them face off the drive wheel's. So far 600 Mi with no problem's. A friend was riding aside of me at higher speed's and said the track was realy whiping between the drive wheel's and where the track meet's the slide rail's, Camoplast say's the pounding against the slide's gradualy loosen's up the clip's till they fall off. I could feel some vib's at 80 plus MPH in my feet, Now it is as smooth as silk. Camoplast say's they can duplicate this clip thing by running high speed's for long period's of time on hard surfaces, ice, road's. If the track is good i would have a machine shop check the drive shaft real close. kviper

one other thing to check is driver alignment. if they are out the driver hits the vertical part of the clip and peels it off. had this happen on mine after changing drivers. the driver lugs should only contact the rubber knobs of the track, not the verticle part of the clip.

mdkuni-
I have the same problem with my '06 Attak. I lose 5-15 clips every weekend of riding. Dealer does not know why...says the track is too tight. I have ran it loose, tight, & in betweeen. I have raised the limiter strap & bolted the rail caps on. Clips still come off...I am starting to believe it is in the drive axle or wheels.

Good part is the replacement clips are like $0.90/ea.

How many are running the 4th wheel kit in the rear. With 4 wheels, it is easier to keep track running true & straight. This may have no affect on a loose track, but could help with a tight track. This may have no effect on the track clip issue, or could it?

On our UP ride, we had 5 Attacks, one lost track clips. We had plenty of snow! At first comparison, my track was the only sled where the track wasn't touching the front of the rails, they were brand new.

Only my sled had limiter strap tightened one hole, & my suspension was set for my weight. Everyone else was heavier than suspension was set for & limiter straps were at stock locations. The only other difference was the 4th wheel kit which makes it easier to keep track running straight so edge of track clips is less likely to catch with a lot of force, maybe?

So we adjusted all limiter straps up one hole & adjusted / checked track alignment & tensions.

Not until, trail conditions became severely whooped & we pounded through them at speed. Then the front of my rails finally began to show signs of contact making the end caps loose.

The sled with the missing track clips got fixed, THANKS YAMAHA DEALER IN ISHPEMING, MI. But they all disappeared again the next day, BUMMER!

The only time anyone I know has lost track clips they have been riding in very marginal snow or bare ice, have been riding at very high speeds (110+ mph) and have totally overheated their hyfax and track clips. I guess that's not 100% true - we've had a couple of tracks that should have been replaced long ago loose a couple of clips right at the end of their life also.

Is this the sort of riding you guys are doing?

Are you overheating your hyfax and clips?

Personally I've never lost a clip on a track that isn't already totally falling apart and also has well over 5000 miles on it so I don't understand how this is happening.

How do you break in your hyfax? Do you make sure it doesn't melt onto the clips and keep dipping into snow until they are well broken in or do you just run it hard and get the hyfax severely melting?

BTW, for the end caps I drill the rivet out and install a metric nyloc nut and bolt. I then drill another hole further towards the tip and install a second nut and bolt on each cap.

The only time anyone I know has lost track clips they have been riding in very marginal snow or bare ice, have been riding at very high speeds (110+ mph) and have totally overheated their hyfax and track clips. I guess that's not 100% true - we've had a couple of tracks that should have been replaced long ago loose a couple of clips right at the end of their life also. My experience is the same

Is this the sort of riding you guys are doing? No, we had plenty of snow in the Kewenaw. Speeds were high, but no different than any other year.

Are you overheating your hyfax and clips? No, Hyfax were not worn for having approx 2500 Canada ridden miles on them

Personally I've never lost a clip on a track that isn't already totally falling apart and also has well over 5000 miles on it so I don't understand how this is happening. Same here

How do you break in your hyfax? Do you make sure it doesn't melt onto the clips and keep dipping into snow until they are well broken in or do you just run it hard and get the hyfax severely melting? No melting on clips & we were in plenty of snow, only happen on one sled.

BTW, for the end caps I drill the rivet out and install a metric nyloc nut and bolt. I then drill another hole further towards the tip and install a second nut and bolt on each cap.
I thought the end caps were best left loose so to not catch clips, all previous sleds are loose.

Double check you didnt bend something in your suspension. If the axle isnt aligned with the track (suspension tweaked) it will also cause excessive pressure on track clips.

Axle straightness

Drivers installed wrong

Just a few known causes!

This is my 11th yamaha and the apex gt is the first one to lose track clips. The other yamaha's had from 4000 mi to 16000mi and no track clips lost. Sleds 78, 81,84,90,94,96,97,01,02,04and 06 :o| boone

Here we go again.

1400 + miles and the clips are starting to go again. I do have the small wheel kit at the bend, I did tighten the rail caps with a bolt and nylon nut but they still keep coming loose. The clips missing match side to side for the most part. If one is gone on one side then it is most likely gone on the other side. There are a couple clips that have broken giudes as well. I have been running .5"-.75" tighter then last year to test if track tighness was the issue. I think it is safe to say it is not.

Brand new drive axle so that is out of the equation. I pulled the skid last night and do see some marks on the hyfax close to where the bolts are that hold the hyfax on.

Hyfax is still is great shape.

I don't know why I lost mine but last year I too noticed that all but two or three were gone. I replaced them and also noticed that the hyfax had gouges out of them on the face and sides at the front end. Don't know if this was for the same reason but here is wha I did and as of now I've not lost any clips.
First and formost check all of you clips to make sure none are loose or damaged. I relaced both rail endcaps as they were nearly worn through. I used a U channel that fits inside each groove and used a socket head bolt with nyloc nut to secure the cap. You may not need the U channel but hey what the heck. Use a high grade bolt so that you can tighten it with out it shearing. A socket head cap screw I think 6mm fit perfectly. Once the caps are tight I then beveled the end of the hyfax so that there was atleast an 1/8" to 3/16" underlap beyond the end cap do this on both sides and the flat on the bottom. The key hear was to eliminate any edge that could catch the clip, so long bevels are key. Also I do the same to the rear as I do back the machine off the trailer. There are no end caps in the rear so just make sure you bevel them so that no matter how much wear occurs the bevel will still be there. I know the rear wheels should prevent contact but hey it worked.

As I said I don't know if this will work for all but it seems to have worked for me. at least for the last 1500+ miles.

track clips

On my 06 GT I lost most of the track clips. so I took the rest of them off, add the small wheels up front of the rail, put on over sized boggies wheels and added the bolts to the closed windows. So far looks good as far as the track go with over 1000mi with out the track clips. Now all I have to do is replace the bolts when they ware down, a lot simpler than track clips :Rockon: boone

Don't know if you caught my other thread:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=51066

but after last season stating I'd never lost a clip before (except on totally shot tracks), this season I've lost over 10.

In my case I suspect the issue is largely the failure of my front limiter straps.

My overall theory is:

- Last season due to running the track too tight (trying to stop the ratcheting), I overheated my hyfax which loosened off the clips a little (softened and reflowed the track rubber slightly under the clips).
- To stop the ratcheting I ended up installing Skidoo anti-ratchet drivers and from then on ran the track much looser.
- The center track shock failed (mixed nitrogen with the oil due to a failed IFP seal), allowing the skid to snap back to full extension over every bump uncontrolled.
- This caused the limiter straps to fail.
- At this point I was running the track too loose (hadn't tightened it in ~2000 km).
- What was left of the front limiters then got sucked under the front idler wheels, which caused the idlers to fail.
- We then got tons of fresh, deep snow and I spent some time playing in it.
- At that point my clips started to loosen at the leading edge in pairs (side by side) and eventually fall off. I found some loose enough I could remove them by hand and all were loosened on the leading edge.
- My theory is due to the over extension of the front of the skid (without the limiters), the very loose track, and the deep snow, the track got pushed into the rail tips. As the clips rattled against the rail tips, the leading side of the clip got bent back slightly, loosening the clips. With the missing rubber on the front idlers, the clips would also have had a little extra drag on the hyfax, helping them to loosen off.

That's about my best guess what went on with my sled...

I have a bunch of changes planned to "hopefully" make sure this doesn't happen again, including:

- Rebuild and revalve the front shock to greatly improve the ride, but also save the new front limiter straps.
- New over-sized idler wheels at the front 4 locations to help keep the track clips cool during hyfax break-in.
- New track clips and/or new track.
- Running the track slightly tighter (close to Yamaha's spec, but slightly looser).
- Limiters tightened by 1 hole to help keep the skis on the ground as well as keep the track further from the rail tips.

Limiter strap is two holes tighter then stock now. Track is tighter then before as many believed it was too loose. I am within Yamaha spec.

Pretty much ALL of my clips are now gone about 800 miles later.

Anyone having clip problems on a non Monoshock skid? I am switching to a ZX2 and hope my problems will disappear.

Back