• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Strange chaincase leak on Attak

gkw

Extreme
My sled cleared 2000 miles this week in Quebec. But I had my first problem (besides wheels, hi-fax wear, bar heaters...). After a long (40 mile) run at high speeds (85+), I noticed some oil under my right foot.

At the next clubhouse, I pulled the panel to find a puddle under the chaincase. I thought at first that it was a blown seal, but a closer inspection revealed the oil had leaked by the gasket!

As usual, the people there are great and they called a local dealer who was there in 20 minutes, picked up the sled and I was back on the trail in an hour. He didn't have the gasket in stock, and couldn't find a problem with the chaincase or the cover. Chain tension was perfect and there was still oil in the case.

I can only wonder if the oil in the case got hot (due to high speeds?) and boiled out???

Any other theories??

GW

Are you sure it wasn't residual oil from a recent oil change. Motor oil and gear oil can get on that side and all over in there when changing them.

No chance. I had the oil changed at the 500 mile service. This was a lot of oil. Puddles on the ground...

blew up my chain case last sunday in Timmins,,, dealer had to replace it all,, the gasket gets sucked in,, i found out this is a problem that they are having,, and if you do blow it up,, no parts till first week of april... I got lucky they strip a sled to get me going,, so look out for the gasket,, what we did is cut the dip stick rubber more to give it air,, hope thats all.

The only logical explanation is that after that long high speed run, your oil got very hot and started to foam and expand through whatever bleeding air whole.That is something fairly frequent when someone does that kind of long speed run! Drain your chaincase and replace your oil with 100% synthetic 75-90 w oil.and it will take care of that problem.

I read your post before and the thought crossed my mind. But there was no evidence of that.

In fact, now 300 miles later, there is no more leaking. I am very careful with chain tension (after blowing several chains and chaincases in Snocross on Doos).

I am back to the theory that the oil got hot (or the chaincase got pressurized at high speeds??).

But I would have thought the oil would have blown out some vent somewhere??

I am heading back up to Que on Sunday for another 1000 mile loop and I will be carrying extra oil just in case...

gkw said:
No chance. I had the oil changed at the 500 mile service. This was a lot of oil. Puddles on the ground...
ON our rtx at about 400 miles we had to replace the seal,as yammi installed it wrong,they had pinched it during instalation,at wfo 110 mph extended run it would leak out and steank or smell like burnt rear end 90 weight.. its good to go now and we have done extended high speed runs for miles on top of miles,sled now has 1400 miles on and no more problems and he sees 134 speedo we have not gpsed his as of yet but my attak ran 114 gps and he goes by preety hard.

There has been a few of these cases reported ( chain case cover seal gets sucked in ) and yamaha is aware there is a problem. The suspect is not enough venting .

I posted a few weeks ago about all the oil being gone and everything in the chain case blew, then towed 40 miles by an F7. WELL HERE IS THE GREAT NEWS I GOT A HALF HOUR AGO. YES I'M YELLING!!! I mentioned earlier that all the parts were on back order. My dealer just told me it looks like the new release date is March 15th. Can you believe this shiiite!! My season is done 5 total rides with 760 miles and only one trouble free ride. My GT is a POS!!! And Yamaha sucks for not having the parts available to repair it. This may be the straw that breaks the camels back. I sold everything two years ago and planned on getting out of snowmobiling. But. I just couldn't take it when my buddies started calling in October about riding. So I bought the 05 RX1 (which I wish I would have kept) and got back into it. I AM JUST TOTALLY PISSED THAT MY SLED IS GOING TO BE DOWN FROM FEB 11TH TO MARCH ??? Sorry for the yelling, but I feel I have a right to be pissed. If I stay in this sport I sure hope someone else comes up with a performance 4 stroke. I am now going to call Yamaha and complain loudly!

Follow the instructions in the manual. It has worked fine for me. The chain doesn't really seem to stretch as much as other sleds I have owned.

GW

hey rhoag,, sorry to hear this ,, be mad at Yamaha yes,, i understand ,, i would be piss,, but b more pissed at your dealer,, mine went in the back and striped a sled for mine,, and called his customers to advise them,,, of this problem,, So i must say my dealer went over and above for me,, but if anymore comes in they might be SOL,, i think they are out

chain oil leak

the problem is the chain case cover flexing ( new material) and the gasket is moving. no fix yet from yamaha

Sledman,
So you are saying that I could be facing this same problem again next year? Man I wish I would have kept my 05!
sneak attack88,
I wouldn't expect my dealer to take the parts off a new sled, but on the other hand they have 2 GT's that haven't sold and I doubt will now.

Back