• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stripped Oil Drain Hole in Block

bowtietr83

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
06' Apex GT
Anyone have any experience in fixing a stripped engine oil drain plug? The threads in the aluminum completely pulled out. This is the plug on the bottom of the engine, not the oil tank.

Gonna need t get an oversized drain plug. Most auto parts stores carry a variety of sizes

I don't see any available for m10. I'm thinking im going to have to drill and tap to either 7/16 or m12. Anyone replace the sump on an apex? Looks like i can get at some of the bolts, how hard is it to get to the others?

Install a Timesert. It’s much better than a helicoil for this application. And since you’re removing and reinstalling the drain plug into steel from then on, unless you’re a gorilla you won’t have a problem.

The more I look at it i'm worried about a couple things - getting shavings in the engine and getting the hole drilled and tapped straight. Since a new sump is only $80 I think the best bet is just to replace it. Looks like a couple options at this point, drill out the rivets on the bottom pan and remove that to get to the sump bolts or lift the engine a couple inches. I'm leaning towards lifting the engine, looks like it's not that big of a deal - just pull the exhaust apart (after removing the seat and tank of course) and the air box and it looks like it will lift a couple inches once the motor mount bolts are removed. If anyone has experience with it i would love to hear, I see an oil hose and coolant hose on the bottom, I have access to the back sump bolts and i'm thinking I may be able to just pull the front mounts and tilt it back to get at the front bolts.

I have had the machine apart many times (donuts, oil filter, etc...) but have never gotten into the engine like this. Let me know if you know of anything that would complicate my plan.

Thanks!

If you plan on lifting the engine you might as well pull it right out. The parts that need to be removed to lift the engine a few inches is the same for pulling it completely out. Took me 3 hours to pull my first engine.
Here is a vid of the last time I swapped out a motor. It might give you a slight idea of what you can expect.
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/r-r-apex-motor-time-lapse.160537/

Thanks, much appreciated. It looks like there may be enough room to just lift it without removing the steering gate, hopefully that works. If not glad to hear its only a few hours. Is there any adjustment that i need to pay attention to when i pull it? Concentric bolts or anything for clutch alignment?

Back