• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stubborn Stud Removal Tips

o's srx

Lifetime Member
Does anyone have any tips on removing stripped Allen key or torx hole in the stud? The steel nut is rusted really good and the stud just spins.
I have had luck drilling out the aluminum nuts, but the bit just won't drill the steel. I'm not looking to keep the stud or nut but would like to keep the single backer.

I would spin the track so the problem area is towards the rear, or an accessible spot. I would then cut the nut with a cutoff wheel. Or try to grip the head of the stud with vice-grips, then spin the nut off

X2 for the cut off wheel

I would spin the track so the problem area is towards the rear, or an accessible spot. I would then cut the nut with a cutoff wheel. Or try to grip the head of the stud with vice-grips, then spin the nut off

Cut through the nut with a 4” grinder and cutoff wheel, then I use a coarse flap wheel to sand the Nut down even thinner. Usually you can then spin the Nut off with an impact without even using an Allen wrench. There won’t be much Nut left is all.

On the aluminum nuts, I drilled a couple small holes on one side, just until I contacted the stud, so I could split it open and then was able to unscew it.
The ones with steel nuts, we're a little more difficult. I used the suggestions and sacrificed the stud to save the backer. A Zipcut wheel to slice the side of the nut off. Then with it "relieved", most were able to unscrew with a wrench and vise-grips holding the stud. Some required a 2nd relief cut as they were being extra stubborn.

Back