• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Studs Again

markt111

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
all Yamahas
Well guys time for me to restud and looking to go more aggressive, I'm sorry because I know this has been discussed a billion times but my current setup is not currently performing good enough, I have 144 Woodys MegaBites 1325, they were all sharpened last year and that helped some but I think I need to go with more and longer studs.

My sled is a 2017 LTX LE, TD Power Trail/Muffler, primary use is aggressive trail riding and occasional lake runs, I want to stay out front of my SkiDoo buddies on there 1200s with Turbos and traction is keeping them close!

You will pick up a couple sled lengths just by going to 1.45's. That said, many seem to be running longer these days. 1.630 triggers seem to be about as good as it gets on the 1.25 track. Trade off is not as durable as say the mega bites.

Last edited:
192 1.57" Mega bites with zero issues, stock tunnel protectors in place. Very good traction

Hornet INS have treated me very well.

I have 180 1450 Megabites on my 18 RTX 129....all singles with woodys aluminum round backers, inner belt and outside too. Tuned it this past season(Second season) at 1360 miles, and I’m very happy with the 1450’s. Sure..could have gone longer, but I didn’t want any issues at all, and wanted peace of mind.

Had 1325’s on my Apex(same size lug on both Winder and Apex)), and the 1450’s on my Winder are So much better as far as penetration/hookup.

I Ran the sled for the first 2 seasons with 144 1.45" Wharthogs and the traction is night and day different with the 192 1.575" MegaBites. There is no comparison.

Well guys time for me to restud and looking to go more aggressive, I'm sorry because I know this has been discussed a billion times but my current setup is not currently performing good enough, I have 144 Woodys MegaBites 1325, they were all sharpened last year and that helped some but I think I need to go with more and longer studs.

My sled is a 2017 LTX LE, TD Power Trail/Muffler, primary use is aggressive trail riding and occasional lake runs, I want to stay out front of my SkiDoo buddies on there 1200s with Turbos and traction is keeping them close!
Yup,192 down the middle all woody goldiggers 1.45,just about right now,winder is 137 ltx-le

Last edited:

I run 225, 1.57 megabites. Lots of traction, hard on drive chain and I have to run track real tight. TD max spool 17.

I run 225, 1.57 megabites. Lots of traction, hard on drive chain and I have to run track real tight. TD max spool 17.

225 studs...holy crap that’s a whole boat load. I thought 180 or 192 was a lot..

You will pick up a couple sled lengths just by going to 1.45's. That said, many seem to be running longer these days. 1.630 triggers seem to be about as good as it gets on the 1.25 track. Trade off is not as durable as say the mega bites.
I would have to disagree on the durability. Triggers are super durable. Many of my ridding buddies have ran them for years and short of low snow riding damage, they never seem to fail and there is half an inch of stud grabbing. I have 192, 1.630 triggers going in my 2020 ltx le. Should hook like a cat on a screen door

192 ea. 1.630" StudBoy Lake Racer carbides mounted on double StudBoy ProLIte backers. IMO, lightest setup possible. I weighed both my setup against double aluminum setup and Prolite setup is lighter by 15%. All in middle belt. Track is 1.25" Ripsaw2. If you don't spin over cement curbs and boulders, very durable setup. Only lose a couple tips in a 2500 mile season.

Attachments

• studding2.jpg
    studding2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 207
Great feedback guys! Are the triggers heavier at 1.63 length or similar as they are narrower then megaBites? What about GoldDiggers vs the MegaBites?

I think now that these boosted sleds have been our a few years the conventional methods of studding has changed as needed...

192 ea. 1.630" StudBoy Lake Racer carbides mounted on double StudBoy ProLIte backers. IMO, lightest setup possible. I weighed both my setup against double aluminum setup and Prolite setup is lighter by 15%. All in middle belt. Track is 1.25" Ripsaw2. If you don't spin over cement curbs and boulders, very durable setup. Only lose a couple tips in a 2500 mile season.

You run this setup for trail riding or lake runs?

Both. I am in Midwest and 90% hardpack groomed trails (some ice). The advantage with ProLite backer is it also acts as a scoop (see pic) if installed facing the correct (by StudBoy's spec) direction. So then you not only have the 1.25" Ripsaw2 lugs but you also have the combined effect of the ProLite backers adding to the scooping/paddling effects, and on top of that I have the 1.62" carbide tipped Lake Racer studs to cut into the ice or hard pack. Great traction! BTW - I spent allot of time "countersinking" the heads of the studs into the quiet track. Bought a 15/16" hole saw, figured out a stop to allow it to cut into quiet track just the right depth (to get the head of the stud flush w inside of track), and then used a carbide die grinder to remove the little circle of quiet track material. Then, use 5/16-18" tap (or whatever matches the studs you're installing) to tap the ProLites. Apply a drop or 2 of super glue to threads in the backer, then screw stud in and tighten. NEVER have had any come loose. Have to heat stud to get one out. Don't have tunnel protectors and don't need them. Even these 1.620" don't hit anything in tunnel. Keep track adjusted right. Track runs very quiet on stand and very smooth on snow because studs are flush to inside of track. See pic. Prolite backers are tough and durable. Of course, I could ruin them by spinning over railroad tracks, cement curbs, boulders, etc, etc. But, I don't do that! This setup works great for me.

Attachments

• Studding1.jpg
    Studding1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 193
  • studding2.jpg
    studding2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 193

Back