• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Studs Again

Are the Pro lite double backer holes the same center to center as woody's aluminum double backers?

StudBoy standard ProLite double backers are 1.0" CTC. StudBoy ProLite Plus are 1.16" CTC. Don't know what the Woody's measurements are.

1.450 gold digger work good , without worrying about how tight your track is all the time . The most important part of studding tracks that lots of people miss ( or the mechanic at the dealer doesn't care ) , is the number of scratch lines your pattern will leave on the ice . The stud points should be 5-7 mm spaced & a pattern that the next scratch line should have a couple bars on track spacing for best traction. It's measuring & drilling holes on the track ,not as much stud height .
You can run 96 down the middle & 24 to 48 on the outside and get good traction.

Last edited:
I Ran the sled for the first 2 seasons with 144 1.45" Wharthogs and the traction is night and day different with the 192 1.575" MegaBites. There is no comparison.
I assume you mean the longer MegaBites hook better?

I assume you mean the longer MegaBites hook better?

And he also increased the number by almost 50 studs too...that’ll make a big difference in and of itself.

Yes, you're right there Winterwolf. It was the second time studding the track and I didn't want to take any chances in not having enough traction. I added 2 singles to the outside of every other bar.

Put me in the camp of, you can't have too much traction. I'll say this too. Out of the 144 1.45" snow stud Wharthogs 25% of them were bent or broken. Going to a longer stud, 1.575" MegaBites, I didn't have a single bent or broken stud last year. Never a problem with my idler wheels either. Just crank the stud head down into the quiet pads and good to go.

Yes, you're right there Winterwolf. It was the second time studding the track and I didn't want to take any chances in not having enough traction. I added 2 singles to the outside of every other bar.

Put me in the camp of, you can't have too much traction. I'll say this too. Out of the 144 1.45" snow stud Wharthogs 25% of them were bent or broken. Going to a longer stud, 1.575" MegaBites, I didn't have a single bent or broken stud last year. Never a problem with my idler wheels either. Just crank the stud head down into the quiet pads and good to go.

Yup...I agree, just tighten them right down into the pads, and no issues.

I’m gonna say, I think the problem you had before with the bending and breaking, was that there wasn’t enough studs for the power you had; not the length. If you put the longer ones on, and didn’t increase the number like you did...you would have had more failures imo. When you add more studs strategically, you increase the strength of them all.

If you don’t have enough studs for the HP you’re putting out...especially when tuned like these beasts are many times, this will put more pressure/strain on all the studs, and then this will eventually cause failures. And then the chain reaction of failures starts.

I know allot of guys on here are running 144 studs up the middle without any issues with the big tunes so i don't necessarily agree with that sentiment. I think it's more of an indictment on the Snow Studs Wharthogs than anything. I wouldn't recommend those to anybody.

I would have to disagree on the durability. Triggers are super durable. Many of my ridding buddies have ran them for years and short of low snow riding damage, they never seem to fail and there is half an inch of stud grabbing. I have 192, 1.630 triggers going in my 2020 ltx le. Should hook like a cat on a screen door

Winder_506, how are you liking this set up? Anything you would do differently? Thanks.

Winder_506, how are you liking this set up? Anything you would do differently? Thanks.
I ended up going 144 rather then 192. Did a 4/2 pattern up the middle all double backers. Take your time and measure out your own pattern to maximize scratch lines. Only thing Is to be sure you re torque studs after a few hundred miles as they will set into the track and need re torqued after they work in. Also keep your track tension tight. I Wouldn’t change anything for a great trail set up for grip and stoping power in all conditions.

I ended up going 144 rather then 192. Did a 4/2 pattern up the middle all double backers. Take your time and measure out your own pattern to maximize scratch lines. Only thing Is to be sure you re torque studs after a few hundred miles as they will set into the track and need re torqued after they work in. Also keep your track tension tight. I Wouldn’t change anything for a great trail set up for grip and stoping power in all conditions.

Thanks. Why did you decide on 144 instead of 192? If I recall, you're running a pretty high hp setup. I know you said you wouldn't change anything, but do you see any benefit going up to 192? Thanks again.

IMO 192 1.5x-1.6x is the minimum for an aggressive set-up. If you're not worried about a holeshot or racing your buddies then you can get away with less number and length.

IMO 192 1.5x-1.6x is the minimum for an aggressive set-up. If you're not worried about a holeshot or racing your buddies then you can get away with less number and length.

Thanks this is kind of what I was reading... I finally got to ride my setup on Saturday. Max Spool 17, header, fuel pump, 3" exhaust, CAI, TAPP, Pro 4, the usual. Incredible is all I can say. I could not believe how hard it pulled between 70 and 120 mph. Just exhilarating. However, I was "cruising" at 100 mph on a couple of stretches and mashed the flipper the rest of the way and the track broke loose a few times and got squirrely. Off the line on good hard pack it just spins. I did a few pulls on well-groomed track and, with my dad following, he said the track was just spinning for a 1/2 mile, which is what I felt as well. I'm not studded, but that's changing this weekend. Way too much power to not have more bite. Really looking at 192 Woody's Gold Digger Traction Master 1.575" paired with 8" Slim Jim Dooly. I'm running the Curve skis with 6" Slim Jim Doolys now and love it, so I assume the 8" is necessary when adding that many studs. Do you see any problems or hesitations with this line of thought? Thanks.

Thanks this is kind of what I was reading... I finally got to ride my setup on Saturday. Max Spool 17, header, fuel pump, 3" exhaust, CAI, TAPP, Pro 4, the usual. Incredible is all I can say. I could not believe how hard it pulled between 70 and 120 mph. Just exhilarating. However, I was "cruising" at 100 mph on a couple of stretches and mashed the flipper the rest of the way and the track broke loose a few times and got squirrely. Off the line on good hard pack it just spins. I did a few pulls on well-groomed track and, with my dad following, he said the track was just spinning for a 1/2 mile, which is what I felt as well. I'm not studded, but that's changing this weekend. Way too much power to not have more bite. Really looking at 192 Woody's Gold Digger Traction Master 1.575" paired with 8" Slim Jim Dooly. I'm running the Curve skis with 6" Slim Jim Doolys now and love it, so I assume the 8" is necessary when adding that many studs. Do you see any problems or hesitations with this line of thought? Thanks.
That should work well. I like studs in the outer bands as well.

Back