• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sub Rad Kit

wayneb

Hello,
I am new to grooming and utility sleds.
I have purchased a left over 2010 VK Pro. I had the dealer install the sub-rad kit and scratchers on the unit prior to pick up.
I did this based on all the information I could find on this and other sites as well as as many grooming related sites I could find about 4 strokes and pulling.

I am not subsidized by my local ski club and I also wanted to do a bit of touring with it, so I don't want overheating issues reducing engine life.

My first experiance was 3 hours packing in 18" deep fresh snow. (2 mile loop)
3 hours later I pulled the drag (home built 300lbs) around for another 2 hours at about 10 mph.
I did not have the scratchers down and did not turn on the manually operated fan on the sub rad. No temp light and the temp outside was about -15C (-5 F).

pretty happy with the power but not much experiance to compare to.
If anyone else has the set up, I would appreciate talking to you to learn more.

Thanks.
Wayne in Sask. Canada.

air19 (i think) has this on his. has a whole post on how his performs in this section under the title of grooming with vkpro.

Hey WayneB,

I have been grooming with a VK Pro for three years now and once I got the second radiator my overheating problems were finally under control.

When you say "I had the dealer install the sub-rad kit", I assume you mean the second radiator.

The trick under use is to anticipate the conditions when you might overheat and start running that second radiator early. When I'm riding the VK Pro solo (without pulling anything) I don't think I've ever switched the second radiator on. But when I'm pulling I've had it on almost all the time. It doesn't hurt to turn it on if in doubt.

I expect the best thing would be to install a temperature guage, and then you could really see what is happening.

Use it often and report back.

Back