• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sub Zero Overnight Cold Starts

Viper14

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper RTX SE
New guy here, I have been following this forum since I spring checked a RTX-se last year. I usually don't post on things like these because well frankly I'm kind of boring when it comes to sleds as far as mods. Sled has stayed bone stock. I must admit there is some awesome information on here if a guy is looking for it.

My question is in regards to sub-zero overnight cold starts. Has anyone else seen any issues with this? I certainly have read a fair share about the warm starting issues but there doesn't seem to be much on the cold starts.

My last trip up in Northern MN was a very cold weekend. The first night the sled sat outside it got to about -15F. The sled actually turned over fine, a bit slower than normal but it just wouldn't start. I did finally manage to get it going, but only after about 6 or so tries. The second night was colder. It got to about -24F. Same thing as before only I probably had about 8 to 10 tries to get it going. I never drained the battery completely either morning but it was close. And yes for starting I turn the key and wait for the fuel pump to do its thing before turning it all the way.

There were two other older Yamaha sleds in the group and neither one of those had issues. They turned over slower as you would expect at that temp but managed to start with out issue.

The other overnight trips for the season were earlier this winter and the temps never got below zero overnight. Sled started normal for those.

I have been to the dealer but unfortunately they hadn't heard of this.

Just curious if its just me or if anyone else has had issues with this.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for the reply.

I watched a couple of the videos and read all the responses from the link and it sure sounded awfully familiar.

Viper14 said:
Thanks for the reply.

I watched a couple of the videos and read all the responses from the link and it sure sounded awfully familiar.

Mine has done that maybe twice, and it was freezing #*$&@ outside. It took a lot longer to start.i gave it a little gas and it fired right up. Don't know if that will be the answer your question. Plus I kept mine on the battery tender the night after the ride.

Mine has done that maybe twice, and it was freezing #*$&@ outside. It took a lot longer to start.i gave it a little gas and it fired right up. Don't know if that will be the answer your question. Plus I kept mine on the battery tender the night after the ride.

Agreed, was cold and normally wouldn't ride. Getting to old for that chit.

I do keep it on a tender when its parked at home in the garage.

Both mornings we played around with the throttle a bit. Not sure if it helped or not. Not sure how the injection systems work on these. Does giving it gas during cranking actually inject fuel?

Viper14 said:

Agreed, was cold and normally wouldn't ride. Getting to old for that chit.

I do keep it on a tender when its parked at home in the garage.

Both mornings we played around with the throttle a bit. Not sure if it helped or not. Not sure how the injection systems work on these. Does giving it gas during cranking actually inject fuel?

I think so, I know giving it a little gas has helped a lot of people, from what I have read. And I did it once and it fired right up. But the definitely don't like the cold!

Back