• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cold start information

Vmax

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Arctic Cat ZR 6000 El Tigre
I know this topic has been beat up forever but I heading to upper Michigan on the weekend for 5 days and the temps are supposed to fall like a rock. I am installing a heater block pad on the oil pan before we leave. I talked to my dealer and he confirmed that I had the 2018 flash before I picked it up. When starting it in my garage this past week it sputtered just before firing at 30F
What kind of issues could I encounter with cold starts and what is the remedy if it does not start on the first/second try.
Thanks in advance

What I have learned for the last 24,000 miles riding vipers is to let the fuel pump cycle. Just turn the key for a second usually does not start. Next key turn for about 2 seconds and should start. Do not start and turn off quick this is usually when I have issues.

Also, don't let off the key too soon. Keep cranking till it's running if it's trying to start. If you don't hear the fuel pump with key on you have a frozen relay. Hotel hair dryer on fuse box is your friend, park close and try to keep it somewhere out of the wind.

I know this topic has been beat up forever but I heading to upper Michigan on the weekend for 5 days and the temps are supposed to fall like a rock. I am installing a heater block pad on the oil pan before we leave. I talked to my dealer and he confirmed that I had the 2018 flash before I picked it up. When starting it in my garage this past week it sputtered just before firing at 30F
What kind of issues could I encounter with cold starts and what is the remedy if it does not start on the first/second try.
Thanks in advance
I just got the most recent flash on mine and have the cold start issue. It used to start decent cold but terrible when hot. Now it's the opposite.

It never hurts to hook up a booster pack right off the top.

I have the latest flash and it improved all starting conditions.
Best two pieces of advice given above already are:
1. Turn key on and let the fuel pump cycle and shut off.
2. Turn key to start position and keep it there until the sled starts, don't let go of it when you hear it fire, keep the key in the start position until it is running!

Also stated hook up a jump pack if you have one. The electronics of these sleds don't like the system being below 12.2VDC especially when below 0-degree F. Anything you can do to maintain voltage at or above that level is a good thing no matter what.

Last edited:
I have charger pigtails coming out from under my seat.if it's below-10f mine wont go without plugging my 4 amp charger into the pigtails for half hour or so.

I added 18" battery cable pig-tails for the same reason. No more removing the seat to attach jump pack or jump start someone else. Works great for battery tender over the summer as well.

Fully charged battery and fresh fuel. If this is your first trip of the year get the old fuel out and put fresh in and run it till warmed up so fresh fuel is through the whole system before you head up. Every time I’ve had a cold starting issue it’s my first trip up north when it’s cold and I had last years treated fuel in the sled thinking I would just get fuel after I unloaded. Now part of my fall maintenance is getting the old fuel out and fresh in before that first trip. Beyond that I also let the pump cycle first and hold key to crank till it’s running. I personally have never had the relay issue.

I have installed the new sealed relays for the fuel pump and ICU, I have the 2018 flash. Will an inline coolant heater help or is it all about the flash and battery crank power. I would think a warm engine is a good thing.

Great information folks....thanks

Dealer tech. told me to cycle fuel pump a few times. Turn key let pump fire up turn off, do the same thing 3 or 4 times then turn it over. Has not been cold enough here to really put it to the test.

I have installed the new sealed relays for the fuel pump and ICU, I have the 2018 flash. Will an inline coolant heater help or is it all about the flash and battery crank power. I would think a warm engine is a good thing.

Great information folks....thanks
I've been researching this topic for a while, and my summary is that in line coolant heater may help somewhat, but best solution seems to be pad heaters attached to block and/or oil tank work better. Either way you will need to plug into 120v.

I guess where I am confused is why do we have to cycle the key/fuel pump multiple times. If the fuel pump hums the first time that would mean it is primed
Sorry for the questions

Back