• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Summer Storage

skip wareham

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Yamaha Apex XTX
Any merit to loosening the track and removing the drive belt as part of the annual spring fluid changes in preparation for summer storage?

IMG_4508.jpg

Although I do not loosen my tracks during the summer season, I do keep them elevated on the lifts I have since I keep my snowmobiles in my garage. That way, there's no pressure on any of the suspension or ski shocks and the wheels on the lift allow me to move then when needed. As for the drive belt, I leave it in place

Although I do not loosen my tracks during the summer season, I do keep them elevated on the lifts I have since I keep my snowmobiles in my garage. That way, there's no pressure on any of the suspension or ski shocks and the wheels on the lift allow me to move then when needed. As for the drive belt, I leave it in place

Thanks Rob. Mine stays on the lift as well.

only time i loosen them in storage is when i am replacing speedo bearing. belt stays on unless working on clutches.

I think the loosening the tracks and belt off were issues with the OLD original snowmobiles. But now we have tracks and belts built to handle serious HP and I now do NOT loosen tracks or remove belts.

i always remove the belts because i find it corrodes or sticks to the aluminum clutches, plus I clean the clutches in the fall anyways so you I have to remove it then JMO
That would be good

I don't think you want it elevated thats not good for the shocks leave the weight on them, elevating my poo's ruined the shocks

only time i loosen them in storage is when i am replacing speedo bearing. belt stays on unless working on clutches.
Leaving the belt on will ruin your clutches, it starts by oxidizing and leaving pits in the alumiumm

Leaving the belt on will ruin your clutches, it starts by oxidizing and leaving pits in the alumiumm

i run mine every 30 days and spin the tracks so i have never had any corrosion on the clutch faces on any of my sleds.

I don't think you want it elevated thats not good for the shocks leave the weight on them, elevating my poo's ruined the shocks

Can't say I've heard that before as I've always stored my Yamaha's on lifts; 3 sleds, 3 lifts. I always thought having no pressure on the shocks, springs, and suspension during storage was a good thing. Not doubting you but would like to hear from @cannondale27 on his thoughts on the matter as he rebuilt my 18 XTX Fox Float rear shock. That sled, when not is use, has been elevated since day one.

I also frequently have sleds stored up on lift.

Not sure how leaving the shock at the long length of its stroke is hard on it? The shock oil flows until no pressure difference between chambers than Awaits movement to cause pressure change then oil flows again. The springs would be shorter with weight on them, but shocks are still, unmoving in either case.
Personally I don’t think its a significant thing to be shortened for spring or shock by not having on the lift. I have not heard of a spring taking a ‘short set’ from being stored on the track and skis. I do remember hearIng this was a threat in the 60s but have never seen or heard of someone replacing snowmobile shocks or springs from sitting to long. My 2 cents

I think the most important thing when it comes to storage is that it's a dry area with enough ventilation to keep good quality air.
I do agree that it is normally good to remove the belt, as there are sometimes marks left on the sheaves, but that again probably won't happen if stored in the right environment.
I'm lucky to have an old bank barn, and the upstairs of those buildings is just fantastic for air movement and dry air.
I don't think it matters either way whether the sled should sit on it's skis and track or not.
IMO, it isn't necessary to start at all as 8 months isn't really that long, but if you must I would only do it every three months.

Back