• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

supercharger on an trail sled???

nate007

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
1. '06 Apex -twin screw
2. '04 Redline Revolt 800
3. '09 Nytro XTX - twin screw
I have been considering a supercharger for my'06 Apex GT. I'm new to the turbo/supercharging thing, and have only heard of guys doing this on mountain sleds. Is there anybody here that has done it on a trail sled? I don't do much lake racing, and am not looking for the ultimate top speed, but the short bursts to 110+ is what I am looking for.
I am also assuming that doing this would make my sled hard to gain traction on just about every surface possible, huh? I have considered just building the motor to gain additional power without the expense, but would a supercharger be too mush power for a trail sled anyway???
Nate

I noticed that if I am in powder the turbo digs a hole much faster... :o|

Oya Nate, I sure dont need all the power it puts out and the gas mileage sucks!

6lbs I am buring 1/4 tank more gas, 9lbs I am buring 1/2 tank more then stock.

SC is an excellet kit for a trail machine making trail power. Won't run with a turbo(what will) but is a nice clean trail package.

Hi guy's, I just wanted to chime in here and tell ya that I bought Yamadooman's 05 RX-1 with the stage 1 Supercharger on it. I am currently running the 7pound pully's on it and it should be making right around 200hp. I have been trail riding it now for about a month and it totally rock's. I can tell you that in the trail this thing just flat out get's it done. The gas milage is not an issue, I am getting better mpg then my buddies 800 MXZ REV. I had my first 2 real race's this past weekend and just walked away from an 06 Appex and a ZR900. I am glad I spent the money to get this sled, I don't think I could ever go back to a stock engine. I would recommend the S/C for the trail, the throttle response is second to none and the sled actually hook's up hard and pull's to the 110mph in a flash. Feel free to pm me with any question.

:Rockon:

super charger

I have over 4000 miles on my attak with sc running 7psi boost this thing rocks. Once you figure out your clutching its unreal. I get @11.5 mpg and I'm a little rich in the bottom and mid range runs @10.8 to 11.5 on o2 gauge. Very happy, corner to corner you won't find anything funner. Uh is that a word or did I spell it wrong oh well. I did have to install extrovert drivers the thing would ratchet the track all the time. Hope this helps.

Running mine on the lake 10lbs. boost and trail riding same , no issues. Spend a little time dialing it in and your set.( Highly recommend Ulmer clutching and throw the BOV valve on it that T. Jannetty recommends) You will have a riot.
Art ;)!

Supercharging is the best way to hop up your trail sled. Throttle response is linear, unlike a turbo that has what I call the rubber band effect (lag) and with our by-pass valve you get close to stock fuel mileage at part throttle low load conditions. Plus if you have noise cops in your area you can run through the stock exhaust. Oh yea and no extra under the hood heat issues either. Our mountain sled is just as much fun on the trails as it is pointing it up the hill. I personally would never go back to a naturally aspirated sled. Boost rules!! ;)! ;)! ;)!

Bill

Guy's, I don't want to hijack the thread but the only problem I am having with the stage 1 kit from MPI is the evac tube for the crankcase ! right now it has their breather in the end the of the tube and it is laying across the top of the motor towards the oil tank. It is blowing the hot steam and a little oil out of the end and it is getting all over everything. is this normal ? The sled is an 05 RX-1 with 2600 miles on it, I was thinking of getting one of the catch can's from Lightning Pro but am unemployed right now and don't really have the $145.00 for the unit. Do any of you other guy's with S\C have any suggestion's ?

Thanks for all the help in advance, and I will be back on line later tonight.

;)!

Yamanator said:
Guy's, I don't want to hijack the thread but the only problem I am having with the stage 1 kit from MPI is the evac tube for the crankcase ! right now it has their breather in the end the of the tube and it is laying across the top of the motor towards the oil tank. It is blowing the hot steam and a little oil out of the end and it is getting all over everything. is this normal ? The sled is an 05 RX-1 with 2600 miles on it, I was thinking of getting one of the catch can's from Lightning Pro but am unemployed right now and don't really have the $145.00 for the unit. Do any of you other guy's with S\C have any suggestion's ?

Thanks for all the help in advance, and I will be back on line later tonight.

;)!

Had the same problem last year I routed mine up buy the bars instead so that it couldn't run out as easy problem went away for oil getting around.

supercharger

nate go with the supercharger you will love the power that is always;
their , i have umlers clutch kit also that works great , i have ordered the bov to help with fuel milage in the trails.

yamanator- i had mine over the motor , oil was getting all over the electrical , moved it to steering bar also , no more mess.

Myself and Bossman have spent many many hours trying to dial our sleds in to run perfect in the trails. We have tried the Boondocker box and the bov. For OUR sleds"10-13psi, triple head gaskets" we FINALLY have it running perfect "11.5-12.8 a/f readings" and NO bog NO sputter anywhere. And it came down to using the MPI box with the right settings and no bov. Believe me when I say, we have tried every combination. We had the boondocker box working almost perfect but couldnt get the stumble out of it when you let off the gas. I can go on and on all day on the things we have tried that didnt work, but I wont. So, the supercharger is the best setup you can ever get for the trail, just need a little juice to hang with the big boys on the lake.

Back