• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Supertrax Article: New Yamaha?!

MrSled said:
2001srx=fast said:
Okay Well all this hype doesn't do anything for me. So what if they come up with a apex XTX BIG DEAL. I want power. Yamaha needs a 170 hp naturally inspired motor, atleast in my opinion. they can probably fit a motor into the apex frame with hardly any weight gain. I said that about their atv's and they didnt have anything for me in 2010, now i have a renegade in my garage.

I am naturally inspired to make this site the best it can be and look at that... its still needs work... :jump:
Naturally inspired to reach your aspiration eh boss? :hide:

My bet is a three cylinder 120 HP motor, Apex based chassis. Not all that much different than a current Vector GT. Sounds like it might be more rider forward. The mono skid does not have me excited.

SledderSteve said:
MrSled said:
2001srx=fast said:
Okay Well all this hype doesn't do anything for me. So what if they come up with a apex XTX BIG DEAL. I want power. Yamaha needs a 170 hp naturally inspired motor, atleast in my opinion. they can probably fit a motor into the apex frame with hardly any weight gain. I said that about their atv's and they didnt have anything for me in 2010, now i have a renegade in my garage.

I am naturally inspired to make this site the best it can be and look at that... its still needs work... :jump:
Naturally inspired to reach your aspiration eh boss? :hide:

Perfect :Rockon: ;):D

Back for 2010, the YZF-R1 is the only production motorcycle with a crossplane crankshaft. Crossplane technology, first pioneered in MotoGP® racing with the M1, puts each piston 90° from the next, with an uneven firing interval of 270°- 180°- 90°- 180°. This uneven order does an amazing thing… it actually lets power build more smoothly. That means smooth roll-on delivery out of the corners, with outstanding tractability, followed by very strong high rpm power. It’s a feeling that’s simply unmatched, like having two engines in one: the low-rpm torquey feel of a twin with the raw, high rpm power of an inline four. This breakthrough technology on the YZF-R1 represents a paradigm shift in both technology and performance.

I had to luck it up since that description looked way different in my non technical mind.
Video here (starts slow but very good explanation in the middle):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTXMtTTKQw

More tech info here:
2009_yzf-r1_eur_01_w_tcm71-288062.jpg

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/...R1: Engine with uneven firing order&pageNum=1

I read on the interweb that the new sled will have twin 2-stroke engines. Anybody that can add two and two will recognize this allows Yamaha to maintain their full 4-stroke lineup philosophy while still winning over Doo riders.

Hey no prob. Only down side is I was also reading that most American V8 uses Cross Plane. Nothing new here but the video seems to say otherwise. Also note that exotic like Ferrari's uses flat plane. That's why they sound different.

Phatboyc said:
Hey no prob. Only down side is I was also reading that most American V8 uses Cross Plane. Nothing new here but the video seems to say otherwise. Also note that exotic like Ferrari's uses flat plane. That's why they sound different.

Yeah, but American V8's use cast crankshafts that can't spin much past 7,000 rpm. The new R1 spins to 13,750 rpm. Show me an American V8 that can do that! At 185 HP per liter, the 8.1 L Hemi (if made by Yamaha) would make over 1,498 HP!!! lol

DiscoRR said:
Yeah, but American V8's use cast crankshafts that can't spin much past 7,000 rpm. The new R1 spins to 13,750 rpm. Show me an American V8 that can do that! At 185 HP per liter, the 8.1 L Hemi (if made by Yamaha) would make over 1,498 HP!!! lol

IMO horsepower should not be used to rate engines.. ok yeah 185 hp is a lot.. but your not making much torque with that much rpm. For example a Caterpillar D6 dozer has a 9 liter engine producing 185 hp.. put your R1 motor in that and how much dirt do you suppose you can push? my guess is it will have a tough time moving its own weight.. same hp.. completely different torque..
C345010_CIM02.jpg

Back