• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Suspension upgrade for Apex Mountain?

I have ridden Ray's (Spray25's) sled with the KMOD/BullyDogTech skid. It has an awesome ride. When I rode it once the turbo built max boost; it would pull the skis as long as you held the throttle open when climbing. It could have been the way he had it set up though. It was definately a blast to ride.

I never rode RXFUN's sled but he had the Holz racing skid. I have read someplace that Holz now offers a fox moutain bike shock that you at to the rear for adjusting your weight transfer.. The front arm did break on it but They took care of him as far as I know.

obr (and others) what is it exactly that sucks about the stock Apex skids? Do the bottom out hard? If this is the problem, you might want to take a close look at the rear scissor just ahead of your rear axles. On the stock RX-1 skids; Yamaha's design caused the bolt going through it to smack the top of the rail. I had my rear shock at full preload and still felt like I was bottoming out. I finally noticed the rails were getting a groove in them from the bolt hitting the tops of the rails right where the transfer control rods go through. After cutting them down 1/2 inch I can run my rear shock at full soft with no bottoming out. I weigh 280 lbs with full gear. Here's a picture of the rails after cut.

Another thing you guys might want to try before shelling out cash for a new skid is the MPI transfer kit (if it will fit your skid). It elimintes the rear control rods for more transfer and uses limiter straps to prevent over extending the rear shock. One call to Mountain Performance would confirm if it will fit or not. If it will fit; $50 might be all you need for the ride you are searching for.

Attachments

• Tunnel and Extension After.jpg
    Tunnel and Extension After.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 158
obr said:
thanks man, great info, just the info I was looking for. Will check the skid out. That's just the problem you described. It bottoms out HARD...

Let me know what you find on that rear bolt. I'm thinking with the tipped rails you guys might be experiencing my same issue but worse because the rail have that little bit of a tip to them. In theory with the rails up more back ther and the travel remaining the same from the factory you Apex owners should feel that hash bottom when the bolt hits alot sooner. Here is a picture of the bolt before I cut it off even with the nut and you can just make out the mark on the top of my rail from the bolt (it looks like a white spot on the rail's inside edge right above the top right corner of the text box). Move your mouse pointer to the lower right coner and a box should appear which makes the picture expand to a larger size.

Jim

Attachments

• Rear scissor bolt.jpg
    Rear scissor bolt.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 154
I looked at the sled, but couldn't see how the bolt could hit it in any way...
will try to upload a picture, but my sled is over at my fathers place, and he has bought a camera in the streets in Spain, so the wuality isn't to good. (It's REALLY bad)

But a you can almost see, the rails and suspension are a bit different. The sissors are not the same I guess...

Attachments

• PICT0047.JPG
    PICT0047.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 120
This is on my Apex Mountain. I have my weight transfer rods set up for full weight transfer and the anti-bottom rollers (just behind idler wheel) set up for medium in the picture. Also in the picture are MPI stainless steel ice scratchers (in front of idler wheel). This has been working for me, I'm 185lbs, and never "tail-land" the sled off jumps. It still bottoms occasionally when worked hard in big whoops but that just lets me know I'm using all the travel available. Transfer rod setup and the anti-bottom roller hole position make a big difference. If you have the weight transfer rods set up to couple early (nuts all the way up) the suspension gets stiffer and if you have the anti-bottom rollers in the hard position (front most rail position) the suspension gets stiffer.

Yamaha Parts -- From the 2005 Vector parts catalog (Track Suspension-1)

Item --- Part Number --- Nomenclature --- Issue

35 --- 8ES-47429-00-00 --- ROLLER --- 2
36 --- 90387-10025-00 --- COLLAR --- 2
37 --- 90201-106F2-00 --- WASHER, PLATE --- 4
38 --- 95817-10060-00 --- BOLT, FLANGE --- 2
39 --- 95607-10200-00 --- NUT, U FLANGE --- 2

Attachments

• Anti-Bottom Rollers.jpg
    Anti-Bottom Rollers.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 186
After putting a few rides on the new M-10 all I can say is wow! Spend the money you won't regreat it.

Hammer, THANKS...great info as always... the parts are in order...

Rip: yeah... surely the M10 rocks (at least on every sled I've ridden woth M10) but... PRICEY...then again..it's just prioritys... but if you knew what a sled costs over here... man...

If you buy the M-10 you can take it withyou to the next sled, and put the stock one back in. If you go with the other one's you will have to use some of your stock components. Just saying you will have nothing to put back in your sled should you decide to sell it.

Good point...
And just as I was starting to decide what to do, you had to stirr it up again... LOL, summer is just to long...

Maybe one should just sell the sled and buy a bicycle...

We had such a good winter this year, We can still ride in Whistler, if I wasn't doing a few things to my sled I would be going up this weekend. I wonder if it would be cheaper for one of us on the forum to purches your suspension and send it to you?

ripntear said:
We had such a good winter this year, We can still ride in Whistler, if I wasn't doing a few things to my sled I would be going up this weekend. I wonder if it would be cheaper for one of us on the forum to purches your suspension and send it to you?

Well... I know a couple of tricks that might make it cheaper, but nothing to discuss in an open forum :ORC

But, as long as the manufactor is willing to send it to me, I can't see how one would make save TO much doing it this way... But, nonetheless a good idea. And if you have any solutions on how it would be cheaper, you let me know...

And I can't say I'm not jealous of your snow... I'm getting my but over there to ride one time or another... Season ended 2 moths ago, and it was a poor-snow season... still atleast three months to go...
Would be the time of ones life to be able to just see your riding areas live, and to ride it....WOW...can't even imagine... But, I don't even know where to begin looking for all the stuff one would need...Talking place to stay, sleds to rent (not cheap #*$&@ fan cooled polaris') places to ride, guides, etc etc... oh well....

But... Watercross season is beginning this weekend... all the way throughout august there is watercrossing here now... Only time I regret getting a 4-stroke is now... just don't want to sink the baby... :4STroke:

Back