• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Taking the SR Viper for a spin!

DeepFrz

Expert
I was finally able to test ride the new Viper XTX SE today. I will be posting a video of it later.

Got it up to 74mph at one point.

Well the XTX wil be a bit misleading since it is not really a trail sled. It is an off trail sled that can do some on trail riding

I was out on the same ride today as well. I got the xtx up to 80 on the same stretch you have pictured.Had the 129" one to 85. While it was fun to get out & try them, it wasn't a real good test. It was cold & hard when I rode - the trail had a lot of straights with icy sharp corners at the end. You could smell the hyfax burning on the xtx. The 129" had dually runners & pushed badly, the 141 I rode had 6" carbides so the front end didn't push as badly, but with a 1.6" lug & 141" length it wasn't real nimble in cornering.
The motor was impressive, but I wasn't as impressed with the chassis as I thought I would be. In my opinion, it still feels top heavy. You sit pretty high ( higher than a skidoo xp) & all the sleds had fox air shocks that maybe had too much air- I thought they needed more "sit in". Both sleds also had a clunky noise somewhere in the rear when pounding though smaller moguls. I don't know if that's normal with the cat slide action suspension, but my doo doesn't make any sounds.
Overall I like it better than the nytro I had, but I'm not ready to buy one.

JP270NYTRO said:
so is it worth selling the nytro and buying one?
That's a hard question - I put 4000 miles on my nytro before moving to the ski- doo. After blowing up my e-tec a couple weeks ago at 4500 miles, I was primed to go back to Yamaha. But it just didn't blow me away. It may have been conditions, or set-up, but I was hoping for something better. It may be the best 4 stroke out there(I haven't tried them all), but it'll struggle to keep up with the lighter 2 strokes in a twisty trail.
I hope they sell a ton of them, it means more money for sled development in the future. If I still had my nytro- I'd be very tempted. Hell, the hand warmers work- that's a big improvement already.:)

Were you easy on the throttle or are they that slow? Looking at that picture, in those conditions, my Apex would have easily been into triple digits

I've got the same chassis and track length in a 800 2 smoke. I trail ride every day with it. Like any other sled, the suspension does need to be dialed in and factory carbides suck. As do the ski's. I have no problem hauling #*$&@ on the trails, but have plenty of off trail capability. This engine/chassis combo should be a real hit.

To your question Mighty I rode to the same demo on my Nytro rtx so I was able to ride the viper then turn around and ride my rtx on the same stretch, it was a great comparison. Granted my Nytro has about 6k on it but I felt the viper was just as fast or faster on top but Nytro was quicker corner to corner. I'm not quite sold yet but its a much more solid sled than I thought it would be.

I rode one and liked it but I think the ultimate question is how will it hold up? Yamy 07 , Its easy to keep with the other two strokes if your connected by a rope. Sorry but I but I cant resist.

Yesterday was the first ride on my new motor. I should be good for another 3 yrs 5000 miles -then I'll be ready to trade up. Maybe Yamaha will have a 4 stroke that can keep up to my (then) 8 yr old doo.

yamy07 said:
Yesterday was the first ride on my new motor. I should be good for another 3 yrs 5000 miles -then I'll be ready to trade up. Maybe Yamaha will have a 4 stroke that can keep up to my (then) 8 yr old doo.
Another 3 years or 5,000 miles? Good thing you don't ride alot. And as far as "keep up" I assume you mean on a tight nasty trail.

I don't get the mind set of paying the same amount for a sled with a reliable 4 stroke for a disposable 2-stroke. I could see it if the trails were like they were just a few years ago. But the last 3 times I went to the UP the trails were amazing. I'm guessing that $45 per trail permit in MI is paying off

Back