• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

temp light on

fast shee

Veteran
Went for a ride today with my 08 rtx and temp outside was 0c. The engine was running so hot the temp light kept coming on. Snow conditions were fine ( not icy ) but no snow build up in suspension or around exhaust. One of my friends was riding a 08 vector without and problems at all, When we stopped at crossings I would shut off the engine but he left his running and no light for him, just me. I did not check the rad fan yet but will loop the temp sensor together to try and turn the fan on. The engine ran hotter at slower speeds ( no air flow ) but still really warm at higher cruising speeds ( 60-75 mph ) in wide open areas. Anyone else have this happen to them? What a pain in the butt! Coolant did not come out of overflow bottle and rad is full as is all fluids. Any fuses or relays for this?

did u reduce the coolant mixture? the nytro is famous for having almost straight coolant in it from the factory , i rode 275 km today most in great snow with no light all day, execet once when i was waiting to load in on the truck, this was however from the last 25 km it was low speed and low snow 25-30 mph due to my friends phazers track destroying itself it had ripped off the outside of the track about 6ft long and was a 2 inch strip, we were lucky to limp it home. I reduced the mixture to 50/50 and added some water wetter to help, 600+miles this year and this was the first light.

I did not reduce the coolant strength but this is my 3rd season with this machine and only came on once last year and now all day today and once 3 weeks ago in quebec but was running a icy road with no snow. Just thinking what the difference is between the 08 and 09 models for cooling systems if any?

i dont think there are any differences. theres a ton of heat from this monster, i am considering the mtx cooler, i need to call the dealer for prices for it and the marginal snow wheel kit for the roads.

May have to consider the same thing myself if this thing does not sell. I blew off one idler wheel today with all the mounting hardware so this will cost me!

MTX mountain cooler is the only way to go. $260 for the kit, From sports plaza out of seattle, wa.

in my case the problem was the skidplate.the snow builds up a wall in front of the heat exchanger because the plate is to long.

Just rode all weekend (and it was warm!) and never saw my heat light once. Last year I saw my light on a lot but now with the mtx heat exchanger the problem is solved.

if you buy the MTX kit it will fix all your overheating problems. Buy it in Canada much cheaper, I paid $197+tax @ motorsports pickering, for the full kit...even included rivits

gonesleddin said:
if you buy the MTX kit it will fix all your overheating problems. Buy it in Canada much cheaper, I paid $197+tax @ motorsports pickering, for the full kit...even included rivits

Do you have any pics of the install?

billymx815 said:
gonesleddin said:

Do you have any pics of the install?

I dont have any pictures, but its very easy to install. Worst part is probably removing the rear suspension and putting it back in. Not sure if its worth the hassle to try to do it with the suspension in.

There is a post on here somewhere that has some pictures of it if you try to search and find it tho.

Have you checked your hifax recently? Overheating can often be an indication of insufficient hifax lubrication...meaning that you may have overheated/worn down your slides on this ride.

What would the hyfax overheating have to do with the engine overheating? I too this weekend had the temp light come on and off every couple of miles while in the U.P. I thought it was just because of the 36 degree weather.

kw said:
What would the hyfax overheating have to do with the engine overheating? I too this weekend had the temp light come on and off every couple of miles while in the U.P. I thought it was just because of the 36 degree weather.

Insufficient hifax lubrication --> more drag between the track and the hifax --> engine has to work harder to maintain the same speed (kind of like driving while dragging a brake) --> engine runs hotter than normal and overheats.

I had this problem a few weekends ago, while riding on a groomed trail through crusty snow (without scratchers). I couldn't figure out why the engine kept overheating, until I got it back on the trailer and saw that the hifax was now worn down to the line.

Ok that makes sense, I was riding on week old snow. It was the first trip with the sled. Do the ice scratchers work good, are they worth the money?

Back