• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

the first 100 miles on my rtx

ScottyD

Expert
Hamilton Ontario/sled from Sand Lake/Kearney
i like the power and torque, the handling and weight remind me of a doo ck3 chassis, the darting was a non issue
the only real issue was that pos 3rd window track, why they didnt put a fully clipped track on that sled is nuts, my sliders are down to half in good snow conditions, the track ratchets and you could smell sliders, definately getting a fully clipped track next year, i never liked running a track that tight just to stop ratcheting
every sled has issue's, this thing is no light weight but i like it
man hearing all the clutch noise and track noise compared to a 2 stroke is something to get used too
the biggest downside to the whole thing was i realized just how out of shape i have become, lol

Don't worry about the wear. The slides wear quick to a point then stay there for 1000's miles. The original RX1's did it and I spent 300 bucks on 4 wheels kits...didn't matter one bit. Put a set of graphites on and it did the same..wear then stop. One set of slides in 4000 miles on our Vector (twin shock susp) and one set in 2500 miles on the Apex (mono shock). They all did the same thing. JMO

I just changed my 07 to a 1" fully clipped track and I changed the hyfax. I had 4300 miles on them since new and at the turn near the front they were worn down to the wear lines. I took a sawzall and cut it in half right there and there was still almost 3/8" of material! They wore down to the wear lines fairly soon and never wore any more.

My 07 RTX does it too. I find that after burning the hyfax some the slides wear much better. I put 2000 miles on about 1/16 inch. I use a 10 mm open end wrench and as long as you can't fit it over the hyfax your good to go.

Anyone know why Yammi went to the clipped every third and closed window track? Doesn't make sense to me unless they figure the closed windows help trap the snow in the track. My sled rolls dramatically better with the clipped track.

take a 1 1/8 hole saw and drill out the closed sections of the track. running my 136 ripsaw the last 3 years, no problems.

ScottyD,

Some people have said that if you "quench" the new slides when new by getting them hot on the hard pack and then jumping into the powder several times over will increase the life.

I've never tried it myself but I can attest that the slides wear very quickly at first to a certain point and then they stay that way for thousands of miles after that.

The reason this happens guys is the slide wears because of friction heat. When the slider gets worn closer to the rail the rail acts like a heat sink taking the heat from the slider keeping the slider cooler and the wear stops. At this point the sliders will last for a very long time.

I'm not so sure about the "friction heat" explanation. I just think that the slides wear to the point where the track is not rubbing on them as hard (always between the wheels) and consequently they stop wearing as fast after that.

I ran 5,600 miles on one set of sliders on my 07 RTX with the stock ripsaw. I have put 900 miles on my fully clipped cobra and the sliders are wearing just as fast. They wear really fast and then the stop. I figure they wear over 75% in the first 1,000 miles and the other 25% takes up to 4,000 miles depending on conditions.

The truth-Because our sleds are heavier than others, the slides wear faster, till the wheels take the weight off the slides. don't worry about the slides till they are past the wear line. If you think the closed windows are the problem, try the wear pads that are like stud heads that you can put in the non closed area. As with other gimmicks, it doesn't work. Some people install idlers bigger than ours, and it takes the weight off the slides sooner.

If you look at the profile of the slides, there is hyfax left after it wears past the wear line(the wide area of the hyfax). It isn't an issue if you just just don't panic when you get to the wear line.

Back