• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

THE SCOOP ON INTERCOOLERS FOR TURBOS

TURBO TURTLE

Extreme
Website
www.northeastturbos.com
REMEMBER'' A TURBO WITHOUT AN INTERCOOLER IS JUST BLOWING A lot of hot air. Engines hate hot air. Race proven intercoolers chill turbo flow for max boost pressure and density and engines love that just a point of info from the (TURBO TURTLE)

if you think 1/2 a mile is long you got a prob... :roll:
since when is 2500 feet a long run :?:
you say your scard of jasons kit at WOT ..... :idea:
well you tell me were in the trails do you run WOT for 2500 feet long :?: none they dont make trail like that they make trails to keep speed down!
on a lake not everybody runs over 2500 feet , but hey im getting a jason kit. why cause we run at -25 -30 -40 , the air will be cold enoff for the turbo and the rx1 motor , i can see a intercooler working better then jason only in summer if it will . but if you think 1/2 mile is long and motor will over heat well think again ... :roll:
i have had pro stocks with no colling on it at all and ran 1500 feet no prob in winter , so a rx1 with a turbo in 2500 feet there will be no prob .....
the thing is at least we dont loose 3 gallons of gas with jason turbo so realy if you guys with the coolers want to race the farthest guess who would win ???? :shock: me or jason lol we got more fuel .. :eek: :shock:

also if you realy look at jasons turbo you would see that if there is a need for a intercooler later on in the game we can add it and still have 3 gallons of gas more then you guys
my 2 cents
chow :lol:

Dear Marc! I´m not refering to engineoverheating.See the other threads
about pumpgas,highboost,turbocharging versus detonation risk :roll:
No one would be more happy than me if fever and jason succeeds with their projects.Every turbocharged RX1 will be a buttkicking experience for
all two-stroker bluesmokers with lakeracepipes,-porting,bigborekits and a
powerbandthatreachesallthewaybetween8700to9100rpms :wink:

Water/Methanol Injection

ok since we are talking like collers are better and this and that and that and this well maby do some reading

cause i shure have done lots

so in thew end
i will be running a jtssrx turbo and a water/methanol injection kit

Benefits:
1. Far More Power...
Water/Methanol Injection allows
you to safely run more boost and
timing
2. Reduced Intake Temp...
Up to 130 F drop in intake
temperature results in a denser,
more powerful air/fuel charge.
3. No Loss in Boost as with an
intercooler.
4. Dual Fuel Capability...
No need to run high octance racing
fuel - add high octane methanol
at boost when needed.

as you can see the you loose boost with intercooler as witht his kit you dont

Your Answer Seems To Indicate A Supercharger Would Be Better

I Think By Your Answer that If you had a GOOD way to Power it A Super charger Would Be Better Than a Turbo IF YOU Can Power the Compresser
With out A Huge XTRA Lot of Wieght

A suoercharger is not as efficient as a turbo. The supercharger would have a little more torque at low rpm but the drive eats a lot of power to drive it. The turbo is heat driven it uses the 30 percent total loss out the exhaust to produce the boost they are more powerfull than superchargers.

Turbos typically are much more tunable and more top power is normally attainable for small engines. The disadvantage of turbos is spool up which is easily overcome by proper clutching. Turbos can also be difficult to control as you get into huge power and large turbos. Boost spiking can be an issue but with well thought out kits should never happen to the end user. Superchargers that are designed for daily use are great for down low power but due to efficiancy they are not good for the extreme power junky that needs warp speed.
Water injection is just another form of intercooling. Quite often it is used WITH an intercooler for extra protection. Most tuners prefer an intercooler over water injection. You will lose power with water injection, but it allows you to raise the boost to gain it back, plus some. Keep in mind that it also is both mechanical and electronic and adds another part that may break. If your water injection fails while on a high boost run, say Bye, Bye, to your motor.

intercooler to be or not to be!

The turbo would work ok without an intercooler on a motorcyle because you are normally only crusing at 3500 rpm which is about 2500 rpm below the rpm ranger the turbo begins to build boost. However an intercooler would work better and produce more horsepower. On a snowmobile the clutch engagement is usually set up to engage between 5000 and 6000 rpm and higher on some. What this means is that the turbo is starting to build boost as the clutching is engauging and even more boost to maintain a travel speed. So without the intercooler the air being drawn into the motor is the same temp as the engine compartment, plus the cylinder pressure is raised creating more heat. This results in higher heat temp entering an already heated motor because of the higher rpm. For best results the engine receives less wear and tear when it can run air cooled by the intercooler. The more heat the more oil break down, then there's more friction which cause's engine fatigue. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this subject and these are just my thoughts after years of playing with them. O' by the way the turbo on my mini sandrail was from Mr.Turbo, a very good bike set-up.(Yamaha FJ1200) However it was hard starting when it got below freezing. I wouldn't recommend it for cold weather starting. It was a draw threw system with a single 42mm carb, ( instead of the blow threw type using stock carbs) now being used on most sleds. I did use the blow threw on my other sleds, however they were two strokes with a lot lower compression and I used race gas. The design of the four stoke holds the engine heat much longer than a two stroke which makes the intercooler so attractive for engine life.

Back