• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking of trading my 2010 XTX for a 1200 doo. Should I?

sleddingfarmer said:
SledFreak said:
sleddingfarmer said:
800 etec renegade would probably be the most fun you would have ripping up the fields and fresh powder...I didn't want to be the first one to say it :tg:

What are you trying to gain with a new sled?

Oh I agree, just the motor will be shot within 3-5000 miles.... You decide...

A lot of people get more than 5,000 miles on a two stroke ski doo 800. But yes, I get your point. I think we all agree on this subject.

I'd still like to know what the OP is trying to gain from switching to a 1200 doo. Probably would be happier with a supercharged/turbo nytro that has a 2" track and wide skis. Set it up for full weight transfer... and then you'd have a off-trail sled. Take the tunnel protectors out to stop the icing...

Did you read the post on DOO-Talk about the Fuel controllers for the E-tec? 2 guys on there mentioned they blew up there 800R etecs, both with low miles on them. One had 600 for sure... Not a great average considering BRP only made 500 800R ETEC's. How many others blew up, that weren't on DOO-Talk begs for the real answer....

Yes, definitely don't not do it. Unless you are thinking of getting a new sled or keeping your old one.

Banks93 said:
revster said:
SledFreak said:
sleddingfarmer said:
800 etec renegade would probably be the most fun you would have ripping up the fields and fresh powder...I didn't want to be the first one to say it :tg:

I agree. If you keep a doo short term you do fine, but if you put on high miles the engines don't hold up. I'd say for normal wear and tear yamaha and doo are similar they both have their minor issues but you have to decide between weight and engine reliability. I got sick of pulling motors out of Revs and it looks a lot harder in a XP.

I think the 1200 is a great option but the Nytro is better for my style of riding. 1200 seems better compared to an Apex in my opinion.

The 1200 would be more like the 2010 Vector LTX GT. The Apex blows the 1200 away.

I wasn't thinking in terms of HP. I was talking the Apex chassis in general.

sleddingfarmer said:
SledFreak said:
sleddingfarmer said:

A lot of people get more than 5,000 miles on a two stroke ski doo 800. But yes, I get your point. I think we all agree on this subject.

I'd still like to know what the OP is trying to gain from switching to a 1200 doo. Probably would be happier with a supercharged/turbo nytro that has a 2" track and wide skis. Set it up for full weight transfer... and then you'd have a off-trail sled. Take the tunnel protectors out to stop the icing...

You're right I got 5800 out of my mine before it needed a total rebuild. LOL My buddy did his engine 3 times in 8000 miles. But that is the old powerTEK, maybe the new generation will be much better.

SledFreak said:
sleddingfarmer said:
SledFreak said:
sleddingfarmer said:

Did you read the post on DOO-Talk about the Fuel controllers for the E-tec? 2 guys on there mentioned they blew up there 800R etecs, both with low miles on them. One had 600 for sure... Not a great average considering BRP only made 500 800R ETEC's. How many others blew up, that weren't on DOO-Talk begs for the real answer....

Yeah I've read it all. Its just like every other internet forum, thread after thread after thread of problems. If you go on the cummins forum you'd swear the cummins was junk too.

Thats no different from these forums. Just read about the 08 Nytro like the one I own and everybody here says they are junk. Just ask Turk, he will tell you what a junk pile the 08 Nytro is compared to the 09 and newer ones. Also remember the OP asked about buying the 1200 not the 800 2 stroke. I wouldn't buy any 2 stroke from any manufacturer these days. You guys need to think about why these newer 2 strokes don't live long. They are running lean and hot with less lubrication. How reliable do you think a Yamaha 2 stroke would be in todays EPA world? Maybe Yamaha saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to tarnish their reputation for reliability by continuing to build 2 strokes? I will tell you first hand my 1200 is dead nuts reliable. I have 5000 miles on it and my Nytro has 4000. Both sleds run as good as new and have had very few issues. The Nytro has gone through exhaust donuts, one belt, both sets of ball joints, A arm bushings, 1 set of hyfax and I had a wire rub issue. My 1200 has had a recall on the clutch and reverse gear, one belt and the oil cooler was leaking and replaced. Other than that both sleds are like new condition. The OP would have a very good reason to trade for a 1200. Better range because of a bigger tank, Sharper handling and more comfortable ride, better skis, less hyfax wear and less overheating issues. Many of these things can be corrected with aftermarket things but you get them stock on the Doo. All the tuning in the world still won't give you the ride and handling of the Doo. This is just my opinion and reflecs the kind of riding I do. I went from the Apex to the 1200 and there is no way I'm going back. I ride my old Apex all the time and its still an awesome sled but when I get back on my 1200 I smile knowing I made a great choice.
sleddingfarmer said:
SledFreak said:
sleddingfarmer said:
SledFreak said:
sleddingfarmer said:

Yeah I've read it all. Its just like every other internet forum, thread after thread after thread of problems. If you go on the cummins forum you'd swear the cummins was junk too.

says the guy justifying his purchase of a skidoo on a yamaha forum. The 1200 is a nice sled but don't kid yourself it is no Apex. :o|

Banks93 said:
says the guy justifying his purchase of a skidoo on a yamaha forum. The 1200 is a nice sled but don't kid yourself it is no Apex. :o|

The original question was about going from a nytro to a 1200 doo, for mostly off-trail, field and some trail riding.

I've seen a 121 apex off-trail...but only for a few seconds, until it sank to the bottom of the powder, and took forever to dig it back to the trail.

Banks93 said:

I don't need to justify anything. I have a 1200 X gade ordered and nobody had to tell me what to order. My garage this fall will have a 06 Apex, 08 Nytro, 09 1200 X pkg shorty and a 2011 1200 X pkg Gade.

jds1000 said:
Banks93 said:

I don't need to justify anything. I have a 1200 X gade ordered and nobody had to tell me what to order. My garage this fall will have a 06 Apex, 08 Nytro, 09 1200 X pkg shorty and a 2011 1200 X pkg Gade.

Can I move into your garage for the winter? ;)!

jds1000 said:
Banks93 said:

Now there is a guy who has too much cash on his hands!

;)! ;)! ;)! ;)!

Mike

Not really. We are a big snowmobiling family. We bought the property I built my house on in the snow belt on the trail. My wife and I are very active in our club and when Winter is here we do nothing but ride our sleds. I need the extra sleds for when my kids come home or my brother and nephew come to town. For the past 20 + years I've owned 3-4 sleds and I don't see owning less anytime soon.
Mt Viper Mike said:
jds1000 said:
Banks93 said:

Now there is a guy who has too much cash on his hands!

;)! ;)! ;)! ;)!

Mike

Re: Thinking of trading my 2010 XTX for a 1200 doo. Should I

4Stroke Rookie said:
Well, I'm seriously thinking of trying the Doo 1200 4 stroke this year.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Nytro but am always looking to try new things. The thing is, if I trade my Nytro for a doo and I hate the doo, I'll miss my Nytro.

I do some trail riding but really enjoy ripping up the local fields with fresh snow. There's nothing but open fields where I live.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is.....

Have any NYTRO owners ever had the chance to ride the 1200 Doo?
How do you compare the 2?

Thanx for any input.
Have you made up your mind?

sleddingfarmer said:
Banks93 said:

The original question was about going from a nytro to a 1200 doo, for mostly off-trail, field and some trail riding.

I've seen a 121 apex off-trail...but only for a few seconds, until it sank to the bottom of the powder, and took forever to dig it back to the trail.

I know if I was buying a sled and did mostly off trail riding I would be looking at something light wait like the 800 e-tec. My Nytro can be fun off trail but it shows its wait for sure when pow riding and Im sure the 1200 isnt much different.

I also like to try new sleds. I believe the nytro and 1200 compare very well. One has attributes the other does not. I believe the 2/3 major differences are:

Nytro: Better motor
Ski doo: Better handling/weight

I also would consider the ski doo when i'm finished with the Nytro. Thus far the Nytro has been the best overall sled i've owned.

Back