• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thoughts on Pilots

jaydaniels

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder RTX
I just picked up a set of Pilots that I was going to try on my Apex. Seems people have good things to say about them. One thing that I didn't see in any post was the fact that the pilots actually raise the front of your sled about 1". I'm not so sure I want to raise the front of my sled that much. Seems like it may have an effect on handling or cornering. Anyone else notice this or think it will be an issue. I'm now starting to think I may be better of going with stock skis and Deuce Bars or Slim Jims.

I have them on both of my sleds and I think they are easier to turn. If any thing it my help with turning by putting a little more weight on the skid.

Put them on your sled. You will not regret it. Mine feels like it has power steering with them on. The only disadvantage pilots have compared to stock skis is that the plastic is softer and damages easier.

Thanks for the replies. I'll give them a shot. I guess the slight height change may be a small price to pay for the better handling and less darting around.

pilots are the worst ski in new snow and one of the best on groomed/hard trails. stock skis do nothing good or bad imo. my pilots are hanging on the wall next to the simmons. stock w duelies is a ok all around ski.

i have the 6.9 on my vector ltxgt. they are awesome!!! feels like power steering. only thing that is maybe not so good is the 6.9 is supposed to be a mountain ski and they dont float that well in DEEP powder. i dont do the mountain thing anyway. they are worth every $ i spent.

nytroD said:
pilots are the worst ski in new snow and one of the best on groomed/hard trails. stock skis do nothing good or bad imo. my pilots are hanging on the wall next to the simmons. stock w duelies is a ok all around ski.
Evidently skis are all to the riders preference of how the sled reacts under specific conditions. I have 5.7 pilots and IMO the stock skis do nothing well. Major POS! ;):D

I'm going to give the pilots a try. If for some reason I don't like them I'll put them on my SRX and go with stock skis and slim jims.

I switched from shimmed Yammi Mountain skis and this year I'm trying Simmons Gen 1's with dual 8" cutting carbides on all 4 runners!

My shoulders might ache on low speed turns but the sled should corner like its on rails!

I put this on here because Simmons and Pilots are similar in the sense they are both dual keel skis.

;)! ;)! ;)!

pilot skis are great on the apex. Add 6" shaper bars on the middle and 4" on the side. Great combination. If you don't put any on the side your skis will wear out.

apex55 said:
pilot skis are great on the apex. Add 6" shaper bars on the middle and 4" on the side. Great combination. If you don't put any on the side your skis will wear out.

X2

I've had them for 3 years on my apex and love them. Just make sure you run an outside carbide, the newer version of pilots don't use and outside carbide but the ski is already set up for them, just gotta drill the holes. Like stated already i'd run it just to protect the outside of the ski. I've seen pilots that don't have the outside one and they wear much faster especially in marginal conditions. They are also cheap compared to many aftermarket skis and readily available if you needed one fast. I never noticed them being taller than stock skis, but if they are it is still worth it. They handle and drive way better than stockers. I wish Yamaha would swallow there pride a little and work with another company that already has good functioning skis and use them. Just my 2cents.

I rotate my carbides each season. New ones in the middle then put the old ones on the outsude. It's amazing the beating they take.

Back