• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Throttle Needed on Start Up

nber

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 L-TX LE
If my sled is shut off before the engine has idled down, it won't start up without giving it a bit of throttle. No issue if you wait until it is idling at 1500, fires without issue. Sled also starts very well when it is cold.

It has always done this and I thought it was just the nature of the beast. However I have recently been running with a couple of other Sidewinders and they don't have this problem.

Anyone else have this issue?

No one I know shuts them off prior to letting them idle for at least 30 seconds or a minute of idling time.

You in fact need let them idle to let the turbo spool down and actually cool down. If you shut it off prior to idling for a period of time you risk oil coking in the housing as it is so hot.

The turbo spins very high speeds as it is just idling, if you shut the engine off there is no oil being pumped to the turbo bearings. If you want to replace the turbo early, then by all means continue to shut it off prior to idling down.

As Mike said letting anything with a turbo idle for a while before shut down is a must. I do the same with My Cummins 3500.
My riding group is always a bit annoyed with me when we stop as my Winder sits and idles for at least 30sec or so before I shut it off.
LOL...Tough

The benefits of letting it idle down are understood. However it doesn't explain why it needs throttle to restart. Acts as though it is somewhat flooded.

The benefits of letting it idle down are understood. However it doesn't explain why it needs throttle to restart. Acts as though it is somewhat flooded.

On a carb engine it would flood not letting it idle down. I'm guessing on our EFI engines, the injectors are off with the key but maybe not?

If my sled is shut off before the engine has idled down, it won't start up without giving it a bit of throttle. No issue if you wait until it is idling at 1500, fires without issue. Sled also starts very well when it is cold.

It has always done this and I thought it was just the nature of the beast. However I have recently been running with a couple of other Sidewinders and they don't have this problem.

Anyone else have this issue?
I had a same problem with mine on last trip, sled just won’t idle as soon as I let go of throttle it does shot off . Same thing while starting I need to give it a little throttle so she can run. Set of new plugs took a problem away in my case, it wasn’t a easy task to do in two places trailer and negative temperature, but I got back to riding after hour.

its normal with these,mine does it now and then.my apex will do the same thing.needs a little throttle to start sometimes!

Any chance your throttle cable is too tight? Should have min. of .030" play at flipper.

I am having wont idle issues too. Havent rode Virus for 6 weeks or so, trackshaft bearing went. No surprise. Bought a real nice gen 4 850 Backcountry with Shot start. Anyway loaded it up from the shop into my trailer. Wanted to ride it today to make sure it's ready for sale. I tried a little seafoam. no dice. I am thinking it needs a good heat cycle and hard run, if not I will try plugs. I dont have time today, wanna go sledding. This pos has been a menace since day one.

Anyone find shutting the sled off using the kill switch VS. the key make any difference? I always have let my sleds idle before shutting them down.. Like ALL my sleds for years.. Coming off Cats you better do this unless you want a backfire! We ALWAYS used the key instead of the kill switch also. Probably no difference on these. Just a thought.

I only notice it's a little harder to start in the warmer weather (around freezing point). When it's colder no issues.

I had a same problem with mine on last trip, sled just won’t idle as soon as I let go of throttle it does shot off . Same thing while starting I need to give it a little throttle so she can run. Set of new plugs took a problem away in my case, it wasn’t a easy task to do in two places trailer and negative temperature, but I got back to riding after hour.
Our 2020 winder has the same issue! Certain times starting it acts like the mapping is way off. You need throttle to get it started. Once its running it needs throttle to stay running. After a half hour of riding it will run like normal. Some times when starting it also only runs on 2 cylinders. After 5 minutes of warm up it picks up the dead cylinder and runs fine. Will be taking it in as its less than a year old. But i doubt they will find anything.

I’ll tried to bring motor to normal operation temperature 168 f by holding throttle and then as soon I’ve released it engine dies. I didn’t try to run / drive sled like that. After I replaced spark plugs motor started immediately and stayed idling. It didn’t happened again in 900 miles.

I should have mentioned that plugs that I’ve replaced were only 250 miles “ old “ . I’m usually putting a new set on beginning of season but newer in mid season.

Back