• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

timber sled question

pics of suspension

it would have seemed that front arm was staying compressed.
i have not been able to change settings yet and ride.

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 121
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 122
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 117

Any update to this as what worked and what didnt. Just had my first ride today on the TS skid and it made a HUGE difference. But like others the skis are planted on the ground. Also mine liked to trench like no other. Just wouldnt pop on top of the snow. Ran the Front at 85, Rear 135, 2nd hole on limiter strap. No shims.

philsummers21 said:
Any update to this as what worked and what didnt. Just had my first ride today on the TS skid and it made a HUGE difference. But like others the skis are planted on the ground. Also mine liked to trench like no other. Just wouldnt pop on top of the snow. Ran the Front at 85, Rear 135, 2nd hole on limiter strap. No shims.

Dialing it in with the shims will make a huge difference. Everyone rides differently, but try a set of shims on the bottom to of the slide mechanism. I liked it better that way for the problems you are describing.

scmurs

on the bottom? i was thinking of one on top. Wouldnt it plant the skis more with a shim on bottom? Someone who knows needs to chime in on exactly what adjustments do what. Like Front shock up or down effects this. And rear shock effects this and so on.

pics in field of limiter straps are very confusing, as you could have the front skid sitting on something...thus compressing it a little..and it doesnt take much to put slack in the straps....

AK, what are you experiencing that you want to correct?

Phill, what are you experiencing that you want to correct?

glad to help people, but need a little info to help...pressures in each, and what you want to correct...and what your experiencing...

well unfortunately i worked all week and have no chance to ride. of course tomorrow is valentines day. mine definately does not trench.

if you add shims to the bottom it will couple with the front sooner there for raising both arms up and flatting out the approach angle.

they way i understand the top shim would allow the rear to sit lower and reduce ski pressure?? but would allow it to trench more??

lose air pressure in rear in theory would allow more ski lift

stiffer front in theory would do the same.

there is not enough snow around my house to ride so i am forced to wait until i can trailer.

mt i was confused to see the front arm stuck up see the gap between the track and skid. I was hearing a noise and after stabbing the track this year i was worried. i was actually on lake at the time of pic nothing was under the skid

I am actually to achieve ski lift like i stated earlier.

I have your shock air pressure setup that you recommended to murph. 85 front 135 rear.
i love it in the bumps and the powder.

If i try to jump a creek bank or similar it just will not the front stays glued to the ground.

I am going to try losing some shock pressure and see where that gets me.

Trenching issue is the biggest problem im having. Was riding today in supreme conditions. about 3-4ft of fresh snow. at one point my buddy got stuck so i rode a trail by him then came back around and parked in my own tracks on a little downhill slope. Got him out went back to my sled and went to go. Rear end instantly dug down to China and then i was stuck. Can't really say i notice it will going just at take off. And no im not just hammering down on the throttle. 2nd is wouldnt mind a little ski lift.

philsummers21 said:
on the bottom? i was thinking of one on top. Wouldnt it plant the skis more with a shim on bottom? Someone who knows needs to chime in on exactly what adjustments do what. Like Front shock up or down effects this. And rear shock effects this and so on.

Whoops, brain fart. Shims on the top. I was thinking bass ackwards. See what I get for trying to answer a question without the visual reference of the sled in front of me?

Anyway, my main point is that the shims do quite a bit, so don't overlook them as an adjustment point.

Where were your shocks set at?

Which primary clutch spring are you using are you using Phil?

There's also some other info if you watch TS's tech video found here:

http://www.timbersled.com/MtnTamerTechVideo.htm

scmurs

Using the GWG. Primary spring. It didn't trench like this using the stock skid BUT we havent had the snow like today either. Shocks were Front 80 or 85 cant remember and Rear 135. Ill play with it on monday. Was snowing like crazy so didn't feel like adjusting much today. Ill add a smaller shim to the top as well

AK,

It appears you have your Limiter strap out pretty far...I cant remember what you have for a track length...are they straight rails? or tipped up? (i.e. stock? or custom)

I would take 10 PSI out of rear shock...and probably leave the front...If you start tweaking too many things you lose ground with TS....

philsummers21 said:
Using the GWG. Primary spring. It didn't trench like this using the stock skid BUT we havent had the snow like today either. Shocks were Front 80 or 85 cant remember and Rear 135. Ill play with it on monday. Was snowing like crazy so didn't feel like adjusting much today. Ill add a smaller shim to the top as well

with stock sled, I would suggest going with a different primary spring...i.e. Orange-Pink-Orange....has a lower engagement...

when your on a trail, and you hammer it, what kind of ski lift are you getting? any? if none, would suggest starting with a little less pressure in the rear shock...going higher on the front shock is only really going to make your trail ride harsher....

with your limiter straps out that far, you really only have one option, and that is less pressure in rear shock...

philsummers21 said:
Trenching issue is the biggest problem im having. Was riding today in supreme conditions. about 3-4ft of fresh snow. at one point my buddy got stuck so i rode a trail by him then came back around and parked in my own tracks on a little downhill slope. Got him out went back to my sled and went to go. Rear end instantly dug down to China and then i was stuck. Can't really say i notice it will going just at take off. And no im not just hammering down on the throttle. 2nd is wouldnt mind a little ski lift.

Try the 3rd or fourth hole on the limiter straps. I did not notice a difference but like others say you have to set them up based on your rider style.

i agree mt small adjustments. I have the limiter in the 3rd hole as suggested by allen. I have stock spec rails from ice age machined for 8 inch wheels

I think some of my problem could be the fact that I have the track adjusters all the wat loose and the track is still pretty tight. I have the smallest upper idlers i can go.

hoping the track will stretch as it is brand new.

I will post when i can get out and ride. Snow up here in ak has not been very pleasing so far.
at least close to home

Back