• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tipping sled to change hyfax's

SledWrecker

Extreme
I'm going to change the hyfax's today on my 08' I watched a couple youtube videos and saw a few different ways some guys do it. Unfortunetly I dont have a good way to elevate the rear of the sled so I'm going to have to tip the sled on its side to do the change. My question is I dont have a roll-over tether setup yet. Do I nee to worry about oil running all over the place when laying the sled over? Any suggestions to make this process go as smoothly as possible?

Thanks

You don't have a 2x4 or a tree with a sturdy branch? How about some wood blocks under the running boards? Bar or plank thru suspension on jack stands? Gotta be a way to lift it..

I do have a 2x4 and jack stands but I can't get the clearance to get a philips driver in there to remove the holding bolts that keep the hyfaxes in place. I'll have to tip it to atleast get those then I could do the 2x4 through the skid with jack stands to hold it up off the floor while I swap the hyfax's

Stubby driver, or bit and ratchet? ha We'll figure this out yet. May just have to jack front off the ground first, then swap to rear.

If you turn it over completely on its side "YES" oil will fill up your air box begin to run out the bottom. Once you turn the sled back upright, all the oil in the air box will flow out the bottom and all over the motor and floor. You can tilt the sled to about 45 degrees but any more then that will cause problems.
If you put the 2x4 under the running boards to equalize the pressure of the jack stand and position the jackstands right at the front of the running boards they will be very close to the balance point of the sled. You should be able put weight on the back of the sled to raise the front and take the weight off to raise the back. the sled is naturally nose heavy so it will want to rotate toward the front Be very careful, jack stands are not the most stable things in the world

Do you have, or do you know anyone who has one of those multi-position ladders (Little Giant)? If so, set it up in an A-Frame position over the back of your sled, place a 2x4 accross the ladder rungs up fairly high and use a ratchet strap over the 2x4 to lift the track high enough to get under it. Make sure the sled can't move once it's up in the air so the ladder doesn't tip over before crawling underneath. ;)!

Draining the oil tank sounds simpler than all that jacking and hoisting and laying on your back. Can the oil vent line be clamped shut while you work on it?

I'd figure a way to hoist it from the back.

Use a stubby posidrive phillips to get the bolts out.

Then use the reverse method to pop the hyfax off.

I've done the reverse method a few time and it works great

I'd figure a way to hoist it from the back.

Use a stubby posidrive phillips to get the bolts out.

Then use the reverse method to pop the hyfax off.

I've done the reverse method a few time and it works great

Well I went to pickup my hyfaxes which they told me were in stock.. When I got there they were the 144" inch ones so that was a no go. Ordered blue ones for my 153 which will be here thur-fri (I hope) Thanks for all the suggestions I will probobly scavange some local construction sites tomorrow and see if there are any scrap 4z4 or 4x6 beam pieces I can use to prop up the rear of the sled. Unfortunetly I'm in a fully insulated / sheetrocked garage.. no way to hang anything from the ceiling.

Since you own a sled and may need to do a few things involving the lifting of the sled........... maybe take a nice piece of 2x4 and run it across the studs in the cieling of your garage (right tight to the drywall). Secure with a good number of sheet rock screws. Paint it white. Drill a hole and install a threaded eye hook. Now you have a decent lift point for doing all sort of work in your own comfy garage. Face it, this won't be the last time you need to lift the rear of the sled.

Where there's a will there's a way. These are two pressure treated 2x8 boards. The first is screwed across three rafters with #10 screws (9 total) and the second is screwed to the first (another 10 screws) with a J-hook sandwiched between. It is more than strong enough to lift the back of a sled.

Edit: Vmax4 beat me to it while I was taking the picture!

Attachments

• Hoist.JPG
    Hoist.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 77
YammyRX1, looks just like the one I had in a previous home. My new home had 4x12 beems in the garage under our living space. They were dry walled in, so I just screwed a eye hook in and use a pull stap. Best ever to have an easy way to get the sled off the ground to inspect/repair.

Back