• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Too much transfer with AC skid on Turbo'd RX-1M.

Jonny Rocket

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 MXC boosted Nitro
I asked this question in the Aftermarket suspension section but thought I might get more views here.

I have a turbo'd 04 RX-1 with an 04 King Cat skid and 162" track. Front limiter is all the way in, front shock is somewhat loose, rear springs are as tight as they will go and the rear mounts are 3" down from the running boards. When I go up the steep hills my sled wants to go over backwards and I am only at 10#'s of boost. Is there any other way to decrease transfer besides sucking up the front limiters and lowering the rear suspension? I was thinking about getting the rear shock re-valved so it is stiffer. Any other suggestions are more that welcome.

Thanks,

J.

From what I have whitnessed in the past the M-10 works the best for keeping front end down while pulling the hills. Sucking up limiters is the only other way I know about.

canuck5 said:
From what I have whitnessed in the past the M-10 works the best for keeping front end down while pulling the hills. Sucking up limiters is the only other way I know about.

Thanks. Yes, I was riding with a M-10 T-Apex last week and it really seemed to work great at keeping the front end down. He would fly up the hills w/o any issues. I on the other hand had the power, just couldn't keep the front end down. Felt like I was going to go over backwards and I kept haveing to turn out.

J.

you could move the rear mount position back on the rails...depending on how far you may also need to move your tunnel rear mount location back as well...FWIW.

M10 definitely better...Rather than throw $ at revalve - Zbroz makes an awesome rear shock upgrade for the M-series skids (and others)...not sure if the CTC would be different for the KK chassis...worth a look.
http://www.zbrozracing.com/vehicle.cfm?veh=28&p=535

kinger said:
I would just relocate the rear end and your problems are solved and no $$

Kinger,

When you say relocate the rear end, what exactly are you referring to? I like the idea of using what I have and really don't want to throw a bunch of $ at it if I don't have to.

Thanks,

J.

Would a coupling kit from ad bovin help. Maybe if it coupled it wouldn't transfer so much. Thats how the polaris and doo skid fix transfer. Maxdlx

I have the same issue Johnny, I think my front arm is too low in the tunnel 7 13/16" from the top of the tunnel. I am also going to find some stiff springs for the rear.

MEAT said:
I have the same issue Johnny, I think my front arm is too low in the tunnel 7 13/16" from the top of the tunnel. I am also going to find some stiff springs for the rear.

This was one of the things I also noticed. I was looked at some AC sleds (Only looking :) and saw the front mounts quite a bit farther up in the tunnel than our RX's. And they are complaining of not enough transfer. I was thinking about putting another hole about 1" up from the current position. That should put in in between the AC and RX mounts.

Other things I was "thinking" about trying.

1. move skid back.
2. put a 174" track on. :)
3. purchase a timbersled suspension.
4. re-valve the shock.

Another thing I forgot to mention was I just had the rear part of the rails tipped up about 1". I was trying to mimic the newer skids in hopes it would help with the turning radius. Well it did help but as mentioned earlier I am having issues coming over backwards. So for me the tipped up rails are not working.

J.

What length are your rails and how far down is your front arm from the front of the tunnel ? I know the king kat locations are higher in the tunnel than the M7 locations. Mine came over backwards yesterday so I am going to move the front arm up 1" and buy the M8 springs. I wouldn't pull the skid back as I have on other sleds and didn't like the handling and its easier to stab the track.

Jonny Rocket said:
MEAT said:
Another thing I forgot to mention was I just had the rear part of the rails tipped up about 1".

J.

That was a mistake. Ice age is making the straight rails for the turbo Apex guys so they can get rid of their tipped up rails that came on the Apex. IMO you've screwed your rails at this point maybe try lowering the rear mount on the drop bracket in order to get the rear of the sled up a bit. This might help keep the front down. It's worth a try.

Rx1M5

I would drop my rear mounting position as well but I would have to add drop plates to my new tunnel and my bumper is too high as it is.

Back