• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tools and parts to carry

stomper

TY 4 Stroke Master
I just confirmed that myself and a buddy are heading out on a 5 day ride on the 25th. We will be putting on somewhere between 1100-1300 miles in those 5 days. I have a pretty good idea what to take along for tools and spare parts stuff for any possible issues that may happen but this is my first big trip. I would like to hear what problems some of you guys have had and some of the stuff you carry or should have carried on your trips to deal with possible issues that can happen on the trail. Because we live in a remote northern are there will be areas where there won't be towns for several miles. but only on the first and last day. It is an 8 hour ride with only 2 towns between.

my buddies belt blew last weekend and the kevlar threads that make up the belt were tightly wrapped around the secondary clutch so much that it was stuck closed... i would recommend a knife as well as some needle nose pliers or a pick set, and maybe if you can fit it a small size pry bar which could be handy for many other things as well... it would really help speed up that process if it happens.

That's a relatively short trip, so the odds of you needing anything or being unable to finish your tour will be remote riding 4 strokes. However, a spare belt goes without saying, some type of tow strap, compact booster cables, flashlight, lighter, hatchet, roll of toilet paper, compact first aid kit, multitool, and a sharp knife. 12 and 14 mm wrenches sometimes as well. Check with your riding buddy as to not duplicate what you both are bringing. Of course don't forget the beef jerky and something to wash it down with.
Have a good trip.

thrasher said:
That's a relatively short trip, so the odds of you needing anything or being unable to finish your tour will be remote riding 4 strokes. However, a spare belt goes without saying, some type of tow strap, compact booster cables, flashlight, lighter, hatchet, roll of toilet paper, compact first aid kit, multitool, and a sharp knife. 12 and 14 mm wrenches sometimes as well. Check with your riding buddy as to not duplicate what you both are bringing. Of course don't forget the beef jerky and something to wash it down with.
Have a good trip.

Add to that list zip ties... Its amazing how much you can temporarily fix with zip ties! I'd even wager you could temporarily repair an exploded track with ties!

parts

When we go on our yearly "Big Haul" one thing we toss in is a spare rear idler wheel a couple extra liters of oil..(tank crack, roll over)....Tylenol and earplugs for the drone.....

I guess it depends on your storage space. I always carry a fold up shovel. Once the snow packed like cement when stuck.
Tow strap, short length of 3/8 in hose for siphoning gas and a quart bottle for transferring it. Jumper cables, 3/8 drive ratchet 10mm 12mm 14mm 17mm 19 mm sockets and open end wrenches. Jumper cables. Extra heated shield wireing. Gauntlets in case the warmers crap out. WD 40 for spraying the electrics when they get powdered up or slushed up. I've had it stall me out once. WD on the relays etc works.
I always have a High lift snow jack and Warn 2500 lb with synthetic wire type portable winch I made. These have saved my butt many times out in the boonies stuck. Alone with just the wife.
I use just the front nose area and a pair of saddle bags besides the seat storage pocket.

Spare belt
Rope
Steady mate loops
Adjustable wrench x 2
Plyers
Vice grips
Jackknife
Zip ties
12 to 18" of tie wire
Spare relay
Rag
Matches with something to strike them on - sealed in a zip lock
Jumper cables
Plus the crappy tool kit that came with the sled
Maybe a siphon hose as well.

Ms

My buddies quit carrying things because they knew I carried it all.

David

spare gas if your route doesn't have many gas stops, a bottle of booze (not to drink to get drunk, but to help stay warm if you break down overnight), mylar blanket, first aid kit,

chances are if you break down a town won't be to far away

kidastra said:
spare gas if your route doesn't have many gas stops, a bottle of booze (not to drink to get drunk, but to help stay warm if you break down overnight),

Alcohol will cool you down! It is the worst possible thing in an emergency situation, it dilates your blood vessels, which sends blood into your extremities where it cools down fairly quickly. A mylar survival blanket and some beef jerky/granola bars are a much better choice.

What trails are you riding? with the recent winds we had in northern saskatchewan, I would carry a saw to cut any fallen trees. Plus a good set of scratchers for the icy trails that we've been blessed with lately.

Back