• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Speed Survey

How fast is your Viper on normal trails?

• Total voters
I'm the first to admit I am a pretty low speed driver with my XTX LE, its geared low and made for playing in the deep with a 2.25 track and I am ok with that. I have opened it up a few times on the lake and it pretty much said I done at 75-80 tops. This weekend at the TY Ride a special thanks goes to SHAGMAN and NOS-PRO for helping my sled reach 96 mph! WOW, Holy Sh!t!
I had a bit of flipper left also but I chicken out because I was running out of room plus my sled is not the best handling at that speed anyways. Thanks guys ! I know, most of you are faster but I am so happy to know my sled it goes over 80 now and not to mention its working better in the deep also. :-o

P.S.
NOS-PRO, sorry my sled bit your finger requiring you to need a bandaid. She is angry some mornings! ;);)

LOL, she bit pretty good, but think it was a love bite cause she knew she was going to be an animal that day...;)

From what I saw, you were enjoying your sled more than ever on that hill and it sounded like the engine was smooth and could handle anything that was thrown at it ;)!

You are very welcome bud! :Rockon:

Mine struggled again to do much over about 84 mph at Muni. I could match the mighty 90HP Renegade on the trail in the Friday slop, but I have to wonder if we raced who would win on top.

I did not mess with clutching on this trip. After testing at Mr Sled's I had the pink spring at 6-1 and shimmed K helix doing quite well. The red spring n the secondary brought back my low end ski lifting punch. Ulmer H helix brought the RPM's up a bit and let me put a little weight back into the heel. I did not get a chance to test in the same conditions that we had at MrSled's for the testing that we did with the pink spring so I am not quite sure if it was unloading the weights or the spring, or both that made the difference.

I now have a couple good combinations to test next season, but I think I may need to run the 24/50 gearing as well.

117 on the stand, no load stock gears, hit rev limiter....hahaha!

2014 viper, mpi
2009 Phazer 144"

Last edited:
2015 ltx dx 700 mi, ulmers intake, magnaflow can and 1.6 ice cobra, hitting 88 mph pretty consistently but I know it still has some break-in left in it.

Bone stock, best speed on trail was 94MPH and only once with roughly 400 miles on it. 84 MPH was consistent and sometimes able to get to 88 with long pulls. Just added a turbo and big venom clutch. Can't wait to see what that does when we get snow.

2016 XTX LE with MPI Trail Turbo

158K (aprox 98) on the guage, 7200 rpm and boost guage said 3. Thumb had about 2/3 throttle, Butt hole gauge said slow down.

101 mph on ice with stock 2014 LTX SE with D&D clutch kit and ulmer secondary machining and spring.

94-96 mph on hard packed trail conditions with same setup.

I could pretty easily break 100 with the MPI turbo last year. Never really got a chance to open it up and see where it peaked as I bought it late season. I do see a little flaw in the poll with the wording. On the trails I rode last year in New York (boy did I miss Maine) average speeds were low. I see some people who voted low that I know their sleds are faster than the vote but using "trails" in there puts speeds lower. I see it more as normal snow conditions as in not a radar run course. Maybe I'm wrong

Bone stock, best speed on trail was 94MPH and only once with roughly 400 miles on it. 84 MPH was consistent and sometimes able to get to 88 with long pulls. Just added a turbo and big venom clutch. Can't wait to see what that does when we get snow.

After our changes....I can't wait to post our new results ;)!

After our changes....I can't wait to post our new results
I can't wait to get her on the snow and see how she does! It won't be a very scientific result. I changed so much adding a turbo, big venom clutch, skid shocks, OSP adjuster, and soon a PCV. I wish we had snow so I could run it after each mod to see what it did. I would have loved to see what just your work did for a data point and further what each mod does to help get the most out of the viper. If snow and season length was no issue, I'd like to test after each one of these mods to give the community some data points...

It's sad to see so many turned off from our great sled due to top speed issues. I believe you are right about the clutches and gearing seeing how hard and fast our engines pull to top speed and the large inconsistencies from pull to pull. Proof is in the a few races. I can keep up with or beat an apex with more horse power to 70 before the viper falls flat. I fully expect an apex to win at top speed, but not by the results of a stock viper. Getup and go requires torque. Viper has no issue there. Speed requires horse power; apex wins. The apex is a very linear performer and a reasonable benchmark in a race. But race results don't show the last few MPH on a viper to climb slowly, it shows a dramatic fall off like you hit a speed wall. Race ends with viper in front to 70 before apex starts walking up and away, at 80 apex runs away. I believe with a few tweaks (Clutches and gearing), a viper should stack up better against an apex to 100 before the apex walks away on its way to ~110-115MPH. With turbo, I doubt a stock apex has a prayer...

Thanks Terry, for all your knowledge and help!

You betcha bud! :) ;)!

Agree with everything you said there.... especially the part where so many people were turned away or just turned off by the Viper.

Back