• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Speed Survey

How fast is your Viper on normal trails?

• Total voters
1tp said:

Very confident that 110/112 could be achieved in a 1/2 mile on a similar surface.

I don't think a stock viper with muffler and clutching will ever see that speed, even on ice, let alone in 1/2 mile.

FrozenTows4 said:
2014 XF7000 factory stock with 450 miles on it. 86 mph @ 8750rpms.

What were the conditions? I know guys talk about inconsistency but I wouldn't be surprised if conditions people are running them in are playing just as much a part. In addition to guys that like to fib about their speed. ............................High 80's and 90's are the norm on the trail...

Devil Track lake was really hard packed. Barely enough to lube the slides. Temperature was around 15 degrees Fahrenheit. 86mph is fine with me. My gps surprisingly agreed with that number. Like I said, I knew it wasn't a lake racer going in. Nitro would have been more suited for that. Comfort, corner to corner, and fun factor, is what it's all about for me. The XF/Viper 136 fills that slot perfectly.

If I see triple digits, at some point, that's fine. But most of the time we're at 20-40mph. Average speed, for the 3 days, was 25mph. The couple 80-86mph blasts, about 10-15 seconds each, did little for the average rolling speed.

Something kicked in on my XTX SE. I now have just over 2000km on her and it seems to have a little more top end lately, not a lot, but some. I was only seeing 140-145ish for a while, then didn't bother trying for a high speed and concentrated on playing in the deep.

Well on my way back from a powder session the other day I decided to see what she had again and saw a consistent speedo reading of 156km/h and some flashes of 157km/h. This is stock, other than a med windshield. I was laying almost flat on my stomach to stay out of the wind as well.

Not sure I'll ever see 160km/h (100mph) on the speedo, but I was pleasantly surprised to see 156km/h.

And on a side note, my buddy was crossing the lake with me fully pinned on his ski-doo 800 and blew his motor. Good old yamaha had to tow him off the lake.

I don't think a stock viper with muffler and clutching will ever see that speed, even on ice, let alone in 1/2 mile.

What were the conditions? I know guys talk about inconsistency but I wouldn't be surprised if conditions people are running them in are playing just as much a part. In addition to guys that like to fib about their speed. We all know how much of a difference it makes and you need snow that you can barely compress or ice to hit the c-note. Any clutching that is off, too tight a track and all the other factors will knock off speed off in a hurry. I have squeaked 100 out of it numerous times all stock besides a clutch kit but 95% of the time I don't have the conditions or room to do it. I haven't tried since adding a muffler and more clutching. It's not going to happen with all the snow I've been in. High 80's and 90's are the norm on the trail. Squeaking over 100 is on the rare days I see the right conditions , but it will do it.

What were the conditions? I know guys talk about inconsistency but I wouldn't be surprised if conditions people are running them in are playing just as much a part. In addition to guys that like to fib about their speed. We all know how much of a difference it makes and you need snow that you can barely compress or ice to hit the c-note. Any clutching that is off, too tight a track and all the other factors will knock off speed off in a hurry. I have squeaked 100 out of it numerous times all stock besides a clutch kit but 95% of the time I don't have the conditions or room to do it. I haven't tried since adding a muffler and more clutching. It's not going to happen with all the snow I've been in. High 80's and 90's are the norm on the trail. Squeaking over 100 is on the rare days I see the right conditions , but it will do it.

I see no reason why those speeds would not be obtainable seeing how we saw 3 runs of 107. All 3 sleds were still pulling at the end of the run.

I went to a demo ride yesterday. I rode 2 sleds, not sure of all the letters. both sleds were 2015.
1st one was a 129" viper no windshield with fox floats, 85mph flat out would not go any faster. it had 330 miles on it.
2nd one was a 137" viper tall windshield coil over shocks, same stretch of trail 96mph and still climbing, I ran out of trail. it had 390 miles on it.
I want to buy one, but not so impressed by the top speed, I did like the low end torque.
how could the two machines be so very different? and the longer track machine be so much faster.
thanks for the info,
cheers.

I went to a demo ride yesterday. I rode 2 sleds, not sure of all the letters. both sleds were 2015.
1st one was a 129" viper no windshield with fox floats, 85mph flat out would not go any faster. it had 330 miles on it.
2nd one was a 137" viper tall windshield coil over shocks, same stretch of trail 96mph and still climbing, I ran out of trail. it had 390 miles on it.
I want to buy one, but not so impressed by the top speed, I did like the low end torque.
how could the two machines be so very different? and the longer track machine be so much faster.
thanks for the info,
cheers.

Don't know why the long track sled is faster.....

thanks for the info,
cheers.
This is around par for the coarse! Inconsistent from sled to sled.

thanks for the info,
cheers.

Was the RTX the LE with the deep lug track?

Hit 93 on a near perfect conditions on a lake yesterday with a long stretch. Average though would be 83-85 with pretty much stock other than mbrp and Carlisle Ultramax belt.

Went out on Saturday down to Constance back, track was hardpack but enough to lube slides, 104 was the magic number, revved right out to 8950, checked shift out and was about 1/4" from top of primary... Swapped out springs from white to pink, same result top end, the pink spring pulled harder bottom end and mid range with my setup. Never got into skid adjustments while out there, could potentially be more that way not sure though.

Reactions: 1tp
I have a 7/10th of a mile long stretch of trail on a power line that was just groomed two days ago so it is packed with a little fluff on top. I was able to hit 88 each run I did. A couple I saw 89 but ran out of room. The best I saw was 92 but that was going on a parshally down hill section. This is completely stock 2014 ltx se with 670miles and only the updates and re flash done. I think I could possibly get mid 90s if the stretch was completely straight but in the middle there is a slight curve that I have to slow down for.

Ultamax belt will rob you top speed. I tried one this weekend with proper breakin and it robed me 300 rpm. I run a turbo and could only pull 8400-8500 rpm at shift out. Went back to the 8JP and back to 8800-8900 shift out. Couldn't do any top speed runs that day didn't have proper conditions but 0 to 100 mph was a lot quicker with the 8JP.

Back