• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Speed Survey

How fast is your Viper on normal trails?

• Total voters
Vibeline, where'd ya run the sleds on Saturday?

Ultamax belt will rob you top speed. I tried one this weekend with proper breakin and it robed me 300 rpm. I run a turbo and could only pull 8400-8500 rpm at shift out. Went back to the 8JP and back to 8800-8900 shift out. Couldn't do any top speed runs that day didn't have proper conditions but 0 to 100 mph was a lot quicker with the 8JP.

I've used the gates belt some, it's a very grippy belt and requires some clutch tuning to get it right. Simply putting an aftermarket belt on won't show gains, it'll actually make it worse as it pulls rpm down. When I've run the gates I have to take weight away to get it to run at 8900-9000 rpm vs more weight to run the harder 8jp or 8dn. With the gates belt dialed in properly for rpm mine pulled faster top speeds, but it was very sensitive to conditions, if there was much track spin it would pull rpm down too much, the slight slip of the yamaha belts makes them run a little more consistent, but with an aftermarket belt and clutching dialed in you would see as good or better top speeds, but it does have it's disadvantages which is why I'm back to the good ole 8dn

Didn't Ryan tell you to make sure you abide by ALL the rules of the trail?? 50 k all day, eh? Lol

Vibeline where is your location?
Eh smoothride,
I took that picture of your sled in lake St Clair.
P.S. My 2 stroke skipped that water the day the 1/2 ton yami took a dip in the pool

New top speed!! I'm finally completely broken in with 1100 miles!! Around where I am its spring conditions with Melting during the day and then freeze at night. I hit 97 on a nice power line stretch that was just groomed the night before and was pretty icy hardpack snow. I was able to hit 97 every run and saw 103 for split second on a small little drop in the trail. It was still pulling really hard when I ran out of room so I think I would be able to see 100s no problem on a good stretch . This is with a completely stock 2014 ltx se.

My third post here and end of season report, so I topped out at 94 @ around 700 miles, 97 @ 1200 miles and a few weeks ago it hit 100 at around 1800 miles, seasons over here and with 2055 miles Id say Im pretty happy.
2014, ZR7000 lxr, 90 studs, all speeds were on averaged groomed trail conditions.

Cheers, Todd

My sled is a 2015 stock DX LTX, no modifications at all. Started my day Saturday on a flat hardpacked lake about a half mile across, with temps in low 20's F, and about 1,200 miles on the odometer. First run the speedo hit 95 mph, with 94.4 on the gps. My buddy's Vector LTX showed 99 mph on the speedo, and 94.2 on the gps. (Guess the Viper has a much more accurate speedometer than the Vector.) Ran 225 miles of trails, and came back to the same lake later in the day with the temps near 30 and the lake surface softer. I only lost about 1 mph, with the speedometer showing 94 mph; my buddy claimed his speedometer hit 101, but did not tell me his gps speed.

I'm the first to admit I am a pretty low speed driver with my XTX LE, its geared low and made for playing in the deep with a 2.25 track and I am ok with that. I have opened it up a few times on the lake and it pretty much said I done at 75-80 tops. This weekend at the TY Ride a special thanks goes to SHAGMAN and NOS-PRO for helping my sled reach 96 mph! WOW, Holy Sh!t!
I had a bit of flipper left also but I chicken out because I was running out of room plus my sled is not the best handling at that speed anyways. Thanks guys ! I know, most of you are faster but I am so happy to know my sled it goes over 80 now and not to mention its working better in the deep also. :-o

P.S.
NOS-PRO, sorry my sled bit your finger requiring you to need a bandaid. She is angry some mornings! ;);)

Last edited:
The LTX-LE is starting to wake up. Friday at the Muni TY ride I saw 97 on totally stock sled. Normal day to day I can pull 92 with blinks of 93-94 in most conditions. Still running 8JP with stock clutching. I do have the 1.25" track.

I'm the first to admit I am a pretty low speed rider with my XTX LE, its geared low and made for playing in the deep with a 2.25 track and I am ok with that. I have opened it up a few times on the lake and it pretty much said I done at 75-80 tops. This weekend at the TY Ride a special thanks goes to SHAGMAN and NOS-PRO for helping my sled reach 96 mph! WOW, Holy Sh!t!
I had just a bit of flipper left also but I chicken out because I was running out of room plus my sled is not the best handling at that speed anyways. Thanks guys ! I know, most of you are faster but I am so happy to know my sled it goes over 80 now and not to mention its working better in the deep also. :-o

P.S.
NOS-PRO, sorry my sled bit your finger requiring you to need a band-aid. She is angry some mornings! ;);)
I knew you had more than 12 mph in you Mark;)!

Back