• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Speed?

yamahahaapex

TY 4 Stroke Master
Dreammeter says 158km/h on a soft trail. in the powder I am about 110km/h. Is that the range you want to be in? What are you guys running? I am running at stock mtn gearing. A couple of things were done by the dealer, spring removed etc

I was able to eek-out 98mph according to the GPS unit and the odometer was reading 101mph. This was on a long road covered with white ice at night with temperature of around 8 degrees F. Stock gearing with the only changes being rivets and porting the track.

Yesterday I did a top end run, hardpack with 174/2.5 track, I run 18/43 gears, sled is minus 95 lbs motor bonestock, and was able to hit 85 mph....better than I figured with that gear. Oh I was at 6000 feet, 10 deg.

other considerations

cnynrnr13 said:
ok time for me to re gear this thing :Rockon: 18/43 and still seeing those top end speeds sounds like what im needing to be doing
>>>
There are many considerations in this equation though. That's a great MPH since I'm seeing 80-84 MPH on flat hard conditons with 19tooth top gear, good clutching and a 162 track. Every sled will run different and the clutching has A LOT to do with the over all track speed and top end speed. It's not just throwing a gear at it and it will run good.

2XM3 said:
Yesterday I did a top end run, hardpack with 174/2.5 track, I run 18/43 gears, sled is minus 95 lbs motor bonestock, and was able to hit 85 mph....better than I figured with that gear. Oh I was at 6000 feet, 10 deg.

How much do you notice the 95lb weight loss?

Wakegod said:
2XM3 said:

How much do you notice the 95lb weight loss?

Huge, Everyone who has ridden the sled before and after has been stunned, even my die hard Polaris buddies grudgingly admit they really like the sled now. It has been a huge amount of work :o| :o| , i ride 2-4 times a week(15 min from house) and have done a LOT of careful testing #$%&* , and I have swapped out quite afew parts that I have just bought, but thats how I did it. ( I now have a huge collection of primary and secondary springs as well as weights and helixes, the shockwave is a blessing) :exc:
I owned a race engine shop for 20+ years (now retired) and am pretty used to testing, my wife says the work on the sled keeps me out of her hair....lol....

I was pretty shocked that it ran that fast, I figured about 75 max. I have a stalker 2 radar gun and thats what we used for the top end run.

My idea here was to do everything possible to optimise the sled as best as I could with the stock motor and learn to ride it well before I put a pound of boost in it, that way I know I have areally good combination of parts when I add the boost. And then the testing starts all over again....yipee....... :jump:

Re: other considerations

GotJuice said:
cnynrnr13 said:
ok time for me to re gear this thing :Rockon: 18/43 and still seeing those top end speeds sounds like what im needing to be doing
>>>
There are many considerations in this equation though. That's a great MPH since I'm seeing 80-84 MPH on flat hard conditons with 19tooth top gear, good clutching and a 162 track. Every sled will run different and the clutching has A LOT to do with the over all track speed and top end speed. It's not just throwing a gear at it and it will run good.

100% correct, and I also believe the 174 2.5 paddle may "puff out" a bit more than the 162 did thus killing some of my gear. Kind of like a drag tire that "grows" more in the top end runs, this makes total sense to me as the sled ran about the same speed with the 19-42 and the maverick track. The 174 is a lot of weight to swing about and there is no reason it should not swell up to a larger diameter when the motor is spinning at 10,700 rpm.....IMHO

Oh, as a side note I also have run the 17/43 and liked it even better but the 17 is just to darn small to risk leaving in the gearcase. I wish I could fit a 45 in there......lol.....

cnynrnr13 said:

Try it, its cheap and quick to do, HOWEVER remember you must trim the gasket edge to fit the 43 in there and use a 70 tooth chain..... 18/42 drops right in. 17 tooth upper will fit if you turn down the spacer,washer and bevel the edge of the nut so they all clear the chain edge.

What kind of track speed do you see on a powder climb 2XM3? Just curious how well a l/w apex can do.

For comparison with 9ish pounds of boost at elevation with my stage 1 kit I'm seeing 62+/- mph. On the trail I see well in excess of 100mph on the dream meter before I start to worry about my scratchers breaking or my track falling apart.

Right now I'm pretty frustrated with my sled. I have got to find a way to make it handle better. Ironically I think my improved clutching has made it so responsive that my old trick of grabbing a handful of throttle is actually hurting me. If I am standing with both feet on one side of the tunnel and I hit a bump while sidehilling I go on quite the wild ride.

2XM3 said:
cnynrnr13 said:

Try it, its cheap and quick to do, HOWEVER remember you must trim the gasket edge to fit the 43 in there and use a 70 tooth chain..... 18/42 drops right in. 17 tooth upper will fit if you turn down the spacer,washer and bevel the edge of the nut so they all clear the chain edge.

quick ? for you stock mtn se comes clutched stock for 7 to 10000 feet right? so today i was out riding between 5100 and 7400 ft at the lower elevation my sled was bouncing all over the rev limiter which i have never experienced before at higher elevations. is this something that is normal at lower elevations with clutching for higher elevations?sounds funny to me but do you know if this is true :Rockon: thanks

cnynrnr13 said:
2XM3 said:
cnynrnr13 said:

quick ? for you stock mtn se comes clutched stock for 7 to 10000 feet right? so today i was out riding between 5100 and 7400 ft at the lower elevation my sled was bouncing all over the rev limiter which i have never experienced before at higher elevations. is this something that is normal at lower elevations with clutching for higher elevations?sounds funny to me but do you know if this is true :Rockon: thanks

Yup thats just what she will do, time for some clutch work.....add weight to the primary to lower the max rpm, change the spring to blue-silver -blue ,better upshift and helps rpm,helix at 46-48 deg, u will love it. Download the manual and look at the clutching charts,really helpful

PS you can change gears in about 30 min and a beer

Wakegod said:
What kind of track speed do you see on a powder climb 2XM3? Just curious how well a l/w apex can do.

For comparison with 9ish pounds of boost at elevation with my stage 1 kit I'm seeing 62+/- mph. On the trail I see well in excess of 100mph on the dream meter before I start to worry about my scratchers breaking or my track falling apart.

Right now I'm pretty frustrated with my sled. I have got to find a way to make it handle better. Ironically I think my improved clutching has made it so responsive that my old trick of grabbing a handful of throttle is actually hurting me. If I am standing with both feet on one side of the tunnel and I hit a bump while sidehilling I go on quite the wild ride.

tomorrow we will ride a nice area that has some good pulls, I will let her rip and post track speed......there is no way I am near 62, my guess is 45ish, but we will see......

I assume you took the swaybar out and low pressure on the shocks? Simmons gen 2 helped a lot on the bucking bronco sidehill deal....and I have found that you better be sure to have a good amount of powder under you to geta good "dig" at the start

Back