• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Torsion Spring Setting

Mark Andolina

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Phazer
Is there any way I can adjust between Soft - Medium - Hard settings on the torsion springs, without removing the skid? 2007 Phazer

Yes - there is a big nut on the torsion block that you use to change to the different side.

I know this little wheel has the three settings on it, but how can I spin it while its under the spring load?

Attachments

• 1-22-2018 3-50-15 PM.jpg
    1-22-2018 3-50-15 PM.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 237
You should be able to turn the torsion block with the skid in the air or without the weight of the sled on it. G.B.

thanks for the response GB.

I would need to take the "long" tail of the spring out of the block near the rail then correct? If I did that, rotated the block re-installing the "short" tail of the spring in the block under the adjustment I want, I feel like it would be very hard getting the long tail back into the block near the rail..

I just have not tried yet and am trying to get a game plan together before I jumble something up.

You just put a wrench on it and spin it , that easy. Do one side and then do the other side and make sure you have it in the same place. You don't take anything off. There should be a wrench in the tool kit big enough. you don't need to lift the rear up for the ground but it will make it easier, just be careful when spinning the wrench so you don't pinch your fingers or knuckles. Like you said it's under tension.

Well I got one, but figured out why the previous owner never adjusted the other side..that nut is completely stripped round.

Any idea on how I can turn that without using the nut. Tried a couple vice grips and man it’s not eve budging.

the way you described is how i do them when i do not want to haul out the wrenches. i just tip to one side then the other to do it.

Take the long tail out, adjust and then bend long tail back up in the rail block?

Gotta be a pain with all that tension on there but I’ll sure try

yup. that is how i do it trailside. at home i will use a pry bar or a couple of foot long peice of wood.

Just in case you really want to adjust that stripped one, or make adjustments frequently without worrying about stripping the other, there are billet aluminum versions available. I know Yamaha sells one and likely a few other companies as well.

Back