• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

track misaligned how to correct?

Drivers are equal distance from tunnel to center. Other X things seem to measure out pretty good. I am mechanically inclined, but I think this one is over my head. I don't know if it is possible to get a bad track.

I am at a loss.

I did speak with a different Yamaha dealer/mechanic today (not the one I purchased the Viper from) and he said it would be two week before he would look at it for me as he wants the factory Rep there.

Factory Rep is out of town for two weeks. I guess, I will have to wait....................

Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated!

I have a 2015 Viper STX DX 141 with the same problem as pictured in this post. The track is rubbing on the left side of the back tunnel. Front sprockets are to one side of the track and it will eventually wear out the track edges.

To center the track, I have to tightened the track tension bolt on the left side much more ( 1/4 inch plus when measuring it ) to get the track not to rub on the left rear part of the tunnel. Then, the track deflection is much tighter on one side, which creates obvious problems. Even tried the 4th wheel kit and no help! Definitely, there is an alignment issue with the skid rail and tunnel. Only 38 miles and it is wearing the paint off the tunnel. Brought it to the dealer and they acknowledged the problem and said to just drive it to see if it fixes it-self... right... what a joke!

Any ideas?

I feel your frustration. I have a 2015 STX-DX 141" and I too have the exact same thing. I bought the sled new and after 2 rides (430km) the sides of my track looked terrible. I couldn't align it, the front side is far left in the drive sprockets and the back side predominantly to the right in order to keep it from rubbing on the left up in the tunnel. It is clearly on an angle. Based on my findings after measuring everything X pattern, sprockets, etc. I don't see how it will ever work, which is likely why there is a lot of discussion on this topic. Based on my findings the track is allowed to float side to side by about 3/8" before the slider rails will retain it. Normal right, right. The problem lies in the tunnel since the track is 15" wide and the tunnel is only 15.5" wide. The bolt heads and rivets on each side chew up an additional 1/4" leaving only 1/8" clearance on each side of the track. Personally, I think it is bad design, having only 1/8" clearance on either side of a large track to float before running into the backs of rivets and bolt heads. It's clear to me that no matter where you set the track, it's going to destroy the edges of itself as soon as you turn a corner.
Yamaha corporate responded saying all of their Vipers rub and in fact, they have not seen one unit that does not have some "slight" rubbing. I was told to just get back out and enjoy my sled and the this is perfectly normal. The dealer didn't even try to align the track. What he did do is spent a lot of time with a raiser blade cleaning up the edges and he used something black to cover up the white threads... 1 month later, I picked up the sled and still have the same problem going into next season. For the record, I love Yamaha products but after this experience, I will never buy a Yamaha product again.

I feel your frustration. I have a 2015 STX-DX 141" and I too have the exact same thing. I bought the sled new and after 2 rides (430km) the sides of my track looked terrible. I couldn't align it, the front side is far left in the drive sprockets and the back side predominantly to the right in order to keep it from rubbing on the left up in the tunnel. It is clearly on an angle. Based on my findings after measuring everything X pattern, sprockets, etc. I don't see how it will ever work, which is likely why there is a lot of discussion on this topic. Based on my findings the track is allowed to float side to side by about 3/8" before the slider rails will retain it. Normal right, right. The problem lies in the tunnel since the track is 15" wide and the tunnel is only 15.5" wide. The bolt heads and rivets on each side chew up an additional 1/4" leaving only 1/8" clearance on each side of the track. Personally, I think it is bad design, having only 1/8" clearance on either side of a large track to float before running into the backs of rivets and bolt heads. It's clear to me that no matter where you set the track, it's going to destroy the edges of itself as soon as you turn a corner.
Yamaha corporate responded saying all of their Vipers rub and in fact, they have not seen one unit that does not have some "slight" rubbing. I was told to just get back out and enjoy my sled and the this is perfectly normal. The dealer didn't even try to align the track. What he did do is spent a lot of time with a raiser blade cleaning up the edges and he used something black to cover up the white threads... 1 month later, I picked up the sled and still have the same problem going into next season. For the record, I love Yamaha products but after this experience, I will never buy a Yamaha product again.
In all fairness, you bought a Arctic Cat product. It just has a Yamaha STICKER on it.

Back