• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track ratcheting with extroverts, I just can't figure it out

I just loosened my track to 1 1/2 inch sag (from 7/8 inch sag) and I ratcheted all day. Tightened it back up. These motors just make too much power!

I have the extroverts on mine with 250 HP, has never ratcheted once since I put on the extros, I run it pretty loose too. You have something broken or something out of place.

Lee,

My track ratcheted several times this weekend!! I started looking at it carefully later in the day (because of another problem) and one of the bolts that holds the limiter strap rod in had fallen out. #$%&* :o|

I replaced it but until I get a new bearing for my jackshaft I won't know for sure that was it.

Ray, sorry to hear that. If you need any skid parts let me know. Mine is parked on the shop floor and ready for harvesting parts.
I looked it over again once removed and everything is ship shape. I still don't get it.
I see that one side of my extroverts are pretty chewed up. I wonder if I could press them off the shaft and put them on the opposite way so the track is using the unworn side for grip once I put in the Cat skid? Hum?

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Lee- oops-- (Frostbite)

Well so far after removing the suspension. I found that the front limiter straps are little over 1" out of adjustment..meaning one is tighter then the other. The locking colar on the shocks are loose, track was rubbing bad on the tops of both shocks...need to check further into that one.

Looking over the track, looks like the track has rubbed metal to metal, track clips are almost all wore thru.

My anit-ratches are completely mushroom out. Really bad, Im replacing them with a new set.

Track is in excellent shape minus the clips. A couple studs are bent, but im putting them into my new track anyway.

I checked mine and they are perfect but it still ratchets. Well, maybe not anymore. My M7 skid arrived last evening. Now, those green idler wheels have to go!

Frosty

I think it is something with the geometry of the stock skid, mine was terrible with the stock skid, worked great with a holz skid and 9 tooth drivers(not extro's), and now works great with a AC 1m skid and a turbo, now I installed 9 tooth extro's.

Getting rid of the stock skid is a huge upgrade, you will be very happy!!

Lance did you say there is room to run 9 tooth extroverts with a 2" track? I guess I can rationalize my 8 tooth extroverts will accomodate a Maverick (2 1/2") if they ever make a 2.52 pitch.

Anybody looking for some Arctic Cat green idler wheels? :rules

Frosty

Yes, there is room for a 2" track with the 9 tooth drivers. It doesn't leave you many choices for gearing, usually 20-42 or 20-43, unless you like the smaller top gears.

Very important to have the drivers timed right. Who put them in? If they are not timed right, you will only have one drver driving at a time untill it wears the teeth off, and by that time they're shot. If you payed someone to put them on, make them buy you new ones and never go back to them for anything.

I lied......I did ratchet yesterday twice. Deep snow....typical Washington Cement. I loosened the track again to about 4-5" and it did ratchet twice. Not bad though. Guess I should tighten it back up to 3" of sag.

T

Are you bragging? :D

I see from my notes that I had to have the Yamaha skid with 1- 1/8" of sag below the rails for the ratcheting to stop.

Guess what, it's exactly the same with the M7 skid.

I may take off the Holz front torque arm relocation bracket for a ride and see what happens (the track tightens as the suspension moves).

Frostbite

Back