• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track Selection For the Nytro

DamonJones

Extreme
I have been reading through posts on track options hear and it seems that the threads wander off and never really address the questions. So hear is the break down I currently have and was looking for feedback.

I'm staying with the 153" for now and will be adding the timbersled rear when I do the change over. Here is the track options.

1. Power Claw $515 - 47 pounds
2. Challenger $505 - 47 pounds
3. Challenger Extream $621 - 53 pounds

So is the CE worth the extra money and weight? How about comparing the Power Claw to the Challenger? Any pro and cons you can add would be great. Thanks!

another option you might want to consider is going to the 15x156x2.5 Challenger CE. It has a harder durometer and if you cut the paddles down to 2.25 it is a very good all round track for spring and winter conditions. You can add the 8" wheels on the rear and it will work in your existing rails without adding an extension kit. $625.00 Tracks USA

The Power Claw comes in two different durometers as well be sure to get the 90 (harder ) durometer. A friend of mine had the power claw on his sled and his brother and dad had the CE's and he was the only sled that couldn't make it up the hill to the top. He even had more hp than his dad's sled.

Having ridden your riding area and knowing your snow conditions I would get the CE and cut the paddles to 2.25

Oh great now another option. LOL

So to be clear the 8 inch wheels make up the track diff? Wouldn't that just add more weight without gaining any surface area? How tough is it to cut down the lugs? Sorry for all the questions.

As long as we are talking track mods - what about porting the tracks? I rearly ride hard pack so that isn't an issue. Is the weight loss worth the effort? I remember something about rotational wieght loss being much more drastic than static weight? Any input?

Unfortunately there are just so many opinons out there your just not going to get a true consensus. I don't think you can go wrong with the CE. They do make one that is 15x153x2.25 so you don't have to cut the paddles. I did have the CE 2.5 on an 05' Summit 1000 and worked great. Am in the process of putting a turbo on my Nytro so I will go with the 162x2.5 due to the added Hp. The powerclaw is a good track and has done well on the 09' Cats but I think you would be happier with the CE for all around. JMO.

What you gain by the 156 with cut paddles is a harder durometer track and by cutting the paddles down you get an even stiffer paddle. The 2.5 length will still have the tendency to fold a little bit. Which IMO around the Bend area would be a disadvantage because the snow is generally very heavy there.

With the 8" wheels you do gain a little on length because you are at the back of the adjusment rather than the front as with the stock track. Remeber, only half the extra length goes to the ground anyway (if you were to change rails). I like the 156 because it is, in essence, only 3" shorter than the 162. You retain the manueverability of the shorter track w/o sacrificing too much in floatation.

I'm not a fan of track porting, IMO it creates excessive hyfax wear during spring time due to the hard pack surfaces that most mtn riders have to go through to get to the deeper stuff. It just doesn't hold the snow inside the skid as well and the little bit of weight savings isn't worth it to me.

It looks like you guys have offered some great info in this area but I would like to hear what more of you think about the initial question as I am trying to make the same choice. Thanks

I changed from the stock maverick to the 153 powerclaw, and all i can say is omg what a diffrence in powder. It is also better on hard surfaces.

Hey fellas ... I'm in the same boat, looking at another track. Mine has a few lugs ripped right off down to the webbing .... not impressed. Anyone else have lugs ripping off? I like the sounds of the CE track and Powerclaw ....... just to make up my mind. somebody sway me in a direction ..... I'm gonna make the change when the grass grows. I ride all over ... steep stuff, boondocking, trail. The stock track needs to go ....

162" Powerclaw!!

I went with a 162" Powerclaw and at the same time added a Timbersled rear skid. My riding buddy made me the rail extensions and 8" wheel kit.

I had waited until the 2010 sleds were released to see if I should upgrade, but went this route for much less money than trading in my 08 for a new one. All I have left is the Fox Floats for the front and I'm pretty darn close to a 2010 162" SE. Here's a couple of pics.

powerclaw.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

These upgrades really made the sled awesome. Haven't seen any bottomless powder with it yet, but what a difference so far.

sonds

Thanks for all the input. I did a bunch of reading hear and on other forums and it seemed to be a Ford vs. Chev debate. So I went with the money savings and ordered the Power Claw. I also ordered the Timbersled Suspension (FYI they are 20% off right now). I'm also going make a custom exhaust and do something about that scoop of a tunnel the 08 has on it. I'll post the mods as I go.

What would you guys pick? Both tracks are new. 153 x 2.25 Challenger take off from a cat OR 153 x 2.25 Power claw
The Challenger is $150 less then the Power claw
Thanks for everything!

Hey guys I was just wondering if a few of you wouldn't mind answering my previous question if you were in my shoes???