• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track tension

MikeWalters

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer
Does anyone know how to check for proper track tension?

I think mine is a little tight but am not sure what to reference??

Thanks

something about hanging a weight and measuing how much it drops down. i just eye ball it by pushing down on the inside of the track and seeing how much it drops down by.

This is how I do it. (Not a professional here, but its worked for me for many years).
- Lift rear of sled off the ground.
- Drop 10 pounds of weight between the rails, on the track.
- Insert 2 fingers between track and rails.
- Tighten adjusters until fingers touch the rail.
- Repeat on other side.

I adjust mine so loose that it ratchets especially coming off the driveway into the ditch and pinning it when it hits.I then adjust by 1/2 a turn each time till ratcheting stops.

cannondale27 said:
I adjust mine so loose that it ratchets especially coming off the driveway into the ditch and pinning it when it hits.I then adjust by 1/2 a turn each time till ratcheting stops.
+1 this usually ends up being more than 1" of slack with no weight hanging off the track. Looser the better!

Thanks guys!

I guess what I'd like to know is what are the ill effects of a tight track?

Yes.Not sure if it helps speed but I think it helps traction by ballooning more.Has to be easier on Bogeys also.

Too tight is bad for eveything in the skid. From shocks to slides.
Too loose is bad for the track and possibly the heat exchanger if you run studs.

blueironranger said:
cannondale27 said:
+1 this usually ends up being more than 1" of slack with no weight hanging off the track. Looser the better!

Agreed ! Just watch your studs !

Just adjusted mine yesterday. It's hard for me to go so loose from the track guide days where you would over-tighten.
I set it so while on the stand, it'll just be on the verge of rolling on its own at idle. This is very easy, BUT, i'm not sure if it's the best way? Works for me. Anyone else try this? Anyone else have theirs 'set' want to try and see? I'd be very interested if my way gives you a good tension.

That should be just fine and makes sense.But dont forget a cold track does not roll as easy as a warm one.

Back