• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Traction set-up questions

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
Are these triggers that much better than typical trail studs. Many many riders talk them up, I don't get it.
Secondly, I installed 1.63" across the bar. Angled backers in the center, flats on the edges. The angle backers offer very little deflection and feel very rigid. The flat backers are easily deflected, more so.. to solve this would it be better for me to run a shorter stud on the edge or just leave it?
Yes guys, I make a lot of mistakes however I do own them.
Ty....
IMG_20231221_114900861_copy_1536x2048.jpg
IMG_20231221_124532396_copy_2048x1536.jpg

Triggers will penetrate ice better as they have a narrower profile. On snow they are probably no different than other trail studs. Triggers are on every fast trail sled that shows up at our 3000' strip on our lake.
Ive been mislead. Ive been believing that triggers would do better on hard pack over ice? Maybe people assume you'll dig right thru. It some cases, that is very possible. Hmmm....
Top speed.....I'll need every ounce I can get.

He meant on regular snow where no amount of studs will make a difference. If the trail is truly hardpack then yes, studs will make a difference. Even in loose snow over ice they will make a difference. If you are floating on fresh powder, not so much.

He meant on regular snow where no amount of studs will make a difference. If the trail is truly hardpack then yes, studs will make a difference. Even in loose snow over ice they will make a difference. If you are floating on fresh powder, not so much.
I understand..... Judging by the pic, either hard pack or ice. There doesn't seem to be a Hugh advantage. Advantage yes, how much?!?!
That's all. Ill give them a try. Still have room to add a few more, but id rather keep stud count down as much as possible.

I wouldn’t lead you the wrong way!! The angled backers are straight up and down how they should be under load, not angled back. It works
You’ll see.
A lot on the lake run 1.86s

I wouldn’t lead you the wrong way!! The angled backers are straight up and down how they should be under load, not angled back. It works
You’ll see.
A lot on the lake run 1.86s
I never implied that. Actually they are super rigid when pulled and I'm satisfied with the product & your direction 100%
It's just my opinion, the triggers don't look like they're worth the hubbub over reg. Trail studs. Idk.

Trailleader, what I should have explained as well, is the flat backers with taller studs feel like they'll just roll over. Seems like it would be impossible for them to do their job efficiently.

I am studding mine now with them 1.63s as well. Doubles and singles with round backers. Cant wait to to try them out. I still need to buy 10 more to finish. I don’t need a 48 pack. If anyone has 10 to 24 Triggers pm me please

I am studding mine now with them 1.63s as well. Doubles and singles with round backers. Cant wait to to try them out. I still need to buy 10 more to finish. I don’t need a 48 pack. If anyone has 10 to 24 Triggers pm me please
You might as well buy the 48 pack and then you'll have spares for the ones that bend. I replaced about 20 a year.

Last edited:
So while I'm down on my knees begging this whole thing to go away, a thought occurred to me.
Running 163s on a well-maintained super tight track. Other than the factory Yamaha tunnel protectors is there something else I must do?

Like snow dust said
I check mine and replace as necessary after every trip
Some bend once in a while

Back