• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trading Nytro->Phazer. Backcountry/Challenger cut down Q'

McM

Veteran
Ok, so i've finaly made up my mind. I'm going back to a Phizzer!

Last autum I traded in my old -08 RTX for a slightley extended -09 Nytro RTX SE (128" Backcountry). Really love the engine and the usuall Yamaha features such as reliability, fuel consumption etc. I've put close to 2000 km (~1250miles) on the Nytro this season and played around a bit with suspension settings etc. But, in the end I miss the nimble feel of the phazer. Nytro simply feels too heavy for me and my usual riding now also involves more and more boondocking.

My target is either a streched RTX or a widened MTX. In any case I'm facing a track swap since stock tracks of either kind won't do and Freeride's have become hard to find this side of the pond. Looking for 1.75"-2" lugs and would like to know if anyone have cut down either a BackCountry or Challenger to 14-14.35"?
Is anyone of these better suited for a cut down then the other?

//Mac

Yes I have cut down the Camoplast Back Country to 14.25" X 144" on my MTX and will say a monster improvement in traction and durability.

Excellent! Did you turn into any glas fibre reinforcement at the side of the lugs?
You don't happen to have any pictures showing the side of the lugs?

Yes there is a fiberglass reinforcement rod on both sides. I used a piece of steel and heated up cherry red to cauterize the edge. I can take a picture for you and send it.

Attachments

• Track 002.jpg
    Track 002.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Track 003.jpg
    Track 003.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Track 004.jpg
    Track 004.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 56
Thanks a lot for the pics!
Do you mean there are also reinforcement rods in the actual lugs. (Not visible on your pics since you cauterize the edges?) Do I understand you right?

The reinforcment rod is in the lug at the base where the clip clamps around the rubber between windows. This track is also fully clipped as i mentioned 2.52 pitch. In the picture the white looking object is the fiberglass rod.

My track looks the same after the cutting process, and have had no ill effects. I was going to burn the edges a bit but never bothered, and no problems.

In general I don't think shaving off .25" or .5" off the side of any track would really damage it. Them tracks are tough!

Back