• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail Exhaust

So you had the same experience too...right around like 25-30 mph was just a really loud drone and in the twisties you often stay around that speed. Might try to snap up a MBRP or SPI but also don't want to spend $4-500 and be pissed again.

I"m in the same vote. I hate the suitcase in there now. I don't like the idea of not being able to check my chain case adjustment. The space difference between the factory and aftermarket is huge, it has to help with the heat build up under there. And of course the weight savings helps. But I.m not wasting my money again.

The issue here in Ontario is that if you get checked and the muffler is not stock you get fined on the spot no matter the decibels, correct me if I am wrong fellow Ontarians

The issue here in Ontario is that if you get checked and the muffler is not stock you get fined on the spot no matter the decibels, correct me if I am wrong fellow Ontarians

Yes you are correct. Your exhaust has to be stock or STAMPED Yamaha on it. Lol. That's why I want a quiet muffler, if its not loud when you get stopped they wont wont look for it. Its the guys that you can hear 2 miles down the road that are the issue. That has been my experience. My buddies have aftermarket exhaust on there Apex and Nytro and we have been stopped a few times over the years with no questions about the exhaust..

I was shocked how many after market cans I heard on my trip the Upper Michigan this past season. As you mentioned, we could hear them coming a long distance away when we stopped for a break.
Talking to a few on the trails they are willing to pay the fine to hear the noise??

I was shocked how many after market cans I heard on my trip the Upper Michigan this past season. As you mentioned, we could hear them coming a long distance away when we stopped for a break.
Talking to a few on the trails they are willing to pay the fine to hear the noise??
Time to JACK the fine. Was UP Der myself, heard these 2 Yamaha Apes,going down the B.N. They had just passed us at a stop sign, we pulled over and shut down. Heard the 2 Apes for at least 4 miles. It was SO quiet at the time, our break was over and getting ready to leave, could not believe how FAR away we could hear them from.

The stock muffler on a Viper or 7000 already has an awesome note so other than a weight saving why chance the fine....just sayin

Maine has a similar regulation.

I took my SPI/Ulmer off at the end of this season, seemed to be getting louder to my ears but I didn't bother to check it with my sound meter (The can passed UP sound check). I have about 3500 miles on it and I'm wondering it the packing started to burn out, especially with the leaner Dec 18' reflash.

I took my SPI/Ulmer off at the end of this season, seemed to be getting louder to my ears but I didn't bother to check it with my sound meter (The can passed UP sound check). I have about 3500 miles on it and I'm wondering it the packing started to burn out, especially with the leaner Dec 18' reflash.
Mine cracked right on top of the can where they weld it together but just welded it back together never bothered again

Have any of you tried or have any info on the Excell stock muffler mod?? They claim its only 4db louder than stock but you also pick up 8HP.

https://excellmotorsports.stores.dealerspike.com/product.aspx?zpid=6635917
That might be a way to get around the stock look that some people have to deal with. At $200 I could spend a little more and get the weight savings. I have been leaning towards the MBRP one but have some other projects needing my $$ at the moment haha.

Back