• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail Handling My Sidewinder Vs My old Viper

Maybe 15lbs more than a viper. Its the same sled, + a turbo and intercooler. It would weigh just about the same as an MPI viper, because its the same sled essentially.

Its the 137 that makes the sled feel heavy vs driving a 129. I think Yamaha/dealers made a mistake pushing the 137 sleds. My buddy bought a 137 viper a few years ago and hated the way it drove and handled. He now drives a Doo. My brother sold his 137 sidewinder because he didn't like the way it drove and handled compared to my 129, and he was sick of losing every race on the trail with the same mods as me (129 transfers much better). Just look at all the posts on here about the 137 lack of transfer. They are boring to drive IMO.

As yamaha doesn't post weights, you can check the cats. The ZR 9000 Limited is 603 lbs and the ZR 7000 Limited is 547 lb...both 137 so difference of 56 lbs.

Dan

Which skis from Cat? Do you have a part#?
Which kit from Snowtracker? I'm debating on them. Thanks Cheers
Travis replied to you on this. great guy to work with. Barn of parts.

As yamaha doesn't post weights, you can check the cats. The ZR 9000 Limited is 603 lbs and the ZR 7000 Limited is 547 lb...both 137 so difference of 56 lbs.

Dan

Ya I still don't buy it. Its the same sled. Only difference is a Turbo. One has tunnel heat exchangers, one has a rad and fan up front. I have a Sidewinder, my brother has a turbo viper, my other brother has an xf800 and my buddy has his 1100 parked in my garage too. I will weigh them all this summer at some point because I am curious now.

Ya I still don't buy it. Its the same sled. Only difference is a Turbo. One has tunnel heat exchangers, one has a rad and fan up front. I have a Sidewinder, my brother has a turbo viper, my other brother has an xf800 and my buddy has his 1100 parked in my garage too. I will weigh them all this summer at some point because I am curious now.

Don't buy it? The Sidewinder is a tank! Believe it, the winder is way heavier than a 1200Doo turbo, a viper turbo and a XF800 by a good 40-60 lbs. 1100 would be close depending on model and year. At one point the 1100 RR was as heavy as a Apex XTX EPS. at over 715 lbs wet weight with fuel. The LTX-LE in 2017 version is 671 with fuel and studs. My turbo 1200Doo was 605 or 609, I forget but close enough, with lightweight battery full of fuel.

The exhaust manifold on the Winder is solid cast iron, theres is two sets of gears and chain in that complicated chaincase, the suspension weighs a ton too, Its as heavy as an old pre-2011 Apex and the old RX-1 ton everyone complained about. There is nothing light about the Winder!

Don't buy it? The Sidewinder is a tank! Believe it, the winder is way heavier than a 1200Doo turbo, a viper turbo and a XF800 by a good 40-60 lbs. 1100 would be close depending on model and year. At one point the 1100 RR was as heavy as a Apex XTX EPS. at over 715 lbs wet weight with fuel. The LTX-LE in 2017 version is 671 with fuel and studs. My turbo 1200Doo was 605 or 609, I forget but close enough, with lightweight battery full of fuel.

The exhaust manifold on the Winder is solid cast iron, theres is two sets of gears and chain in that complicated chaincase, the suspension weighs a ton too, Its as heavy as an old pre-2011 Apex and the old RX-1 ton everyone complained about. There is nothing light about the Winder!

I never said it was light. Just it’s not 60+ lbs heavier than a viper, because it’s the same sled. Maybe 15-20lbs heavier. An srx weighs 610 with studs and no fuel. Nytro’s weigh a bit less than that. Vipers aren’t lighter than a nytro. My brother xf800 is way lighter than a turbo viper. Not even close. So a sidewinder cannot be 60-80lbs heavier than both of those sleds. I’ll post the results when I have them.

My 129 skid is way lighter than any Yamaha skid ever made, same with the 141 skid.
Those extra gears in the chaincase are like 1lb.

I never said it was light. Just it’s not 60+ lbs heavier than a viper, because it’s the same sled. Maybe 15-20lbs heavier. An srx weighs 610 with studs and no fuel. Nytro’s weigh a bit less than that. Vipers aren’t lighter than a nytro. My brother xf800 is way lighter than a turbo viper. Not even close. So a sidewinder cannot be 60-80lbs heavier than both of those sleds. I’ll post the results when I have them.

My 129 skid is way lighter than any Yamaha skid ever made, same with the 141 skid.
Those extra gears in the chaincase are like 1lb.

Sidewinder is 40 lbs heavier than a TURBO Viper, that would put it an easy 60 Lbs heavier than a stock non turbo viper. Thats if the turbo kit was real light.

Go back and see post #20 from Turtle. Thats not a misprint. The Viper is not the same as a Winder. The Winder weighs a ton more than a viper, plain and simple. the Viper is on par with the 1200Doo for weight. You'll be surprised I guess if you weight them.

Aren't they the same reverse setup and basic suspension.
The only thing I see heavier in the cc is the stronger chain.

Aren't they the same reverse setup and basic suspension.
The only thing I see heavier in the cc is the stronger chain.

Yes they are the same chassis wise, the viper and winder I mean, but the engine, turbo, pluming, and cast iron exhaust manifold takes it toll on the scale. Its far heavier than adding a lightweight aftermarket turbo kit to the Viper. However you want to cut it, the Winder is a tank on the scales!

Yes they are the same chassis wise, the viper and winder I mean, but the engine, turbo, pluming, and cast iron exhaust manifold takes it toll on the scale. Its far heavier than adding a lightweight aftermarket turbo kit to the Viper. However you want to cut it, the Winder is a tank on the scales!
I've been debating adding the header as it saves some pounds and adds power.
Just concerned about longevity.

The cross member the turbo mounts on is cast iron too.

Sidewinder is 40 lbs heavier than a TURBO Viper, that would put it an easy 60 Lbs heavier than a stock non turbo viper. Thats if the turbo kit was real light.

Go back and see post #20 from Turtle. Thats not a misprint. The Viper is not the same as a Winder. The Winder weighs a ton more than a viper, plain and simple. the Viper is on par with the 1200Doo for weight. You'll be surprised I guess if you weight them.

Lol. Whatever you say. 60lbs for a cast header. I’ll post the results when I weigh them. They are the same sled, they weigh the same. Pretty simple concept. No need to get worked up over it.

I’ve owned both, I’ve driven both. I have both in the garage.

Lol. Whatever you say. 60lbs for a cast header. I’ll post the results when I weigh them. They are the same sled, they weigh the same. Pretty simple concept. No need to get worked up over it.

I’ve owned both, I’ve driven both. I have both in the garage.

I'm not worked up about it, but they don't weight the same! It's just such a a idiotic statement to make. The Winder is a tank! SRX was just weighed at 669 without studs and full of fuel at AMSNOW. Think a Viper is more than 609 full of fuel? Lots of the Mags have ACTUALLY weighed them! Unreal you continue and want to argue about it. The Winder weighs a bunch more than a Viper length for length.

Heres it is in case you missed it from post 20.

2017 amsnow shootout.jpg

7D555F8B-7C42-4806-A999-4DD7ECBA83B5.jpeg
I'm not worked up about it, but they don't weight the same! It's just such a a idiotic statement to make. The Winder is a tank! SRX was just weighed at 669 without studs and full of fuel at AMSNOW. Think a Viper is more than 609 full of fuel? Lots of the Mags have ACTUALLY weighed them! Unreal you continue and want to argue about it. The Winder weighs a bunch more than a Viper length for length.

Heres it is in case you missed it from post 20.

View attachment 148043

So you’re saying a turbo viper weighs 7 lbs less than a 2 stroke xf800? Interesting theory.

View attachment 148044

So you’re saying a turbo viper weighs 7 lbs less than a 2 stroke xf800? Interesting theory.

Why do you keep putting words in my mouth? Look thru all the years worth of AMSNOW and you can see what any of them weigh they have tested. They weigh ALL the sleds full of fuel too...

Back