• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail ride?

munskindaddy

Extreme
Found good deal on 162 mtx viper. Our group does a lot of trail riding. Will this sled work for this without hurting anything or does it always have to have deep snow? Will it still ride like xtx viper?

You can trail ride it but there's a couple things you will have to change. First is the track lugs are too tall. You would have to cut them down to size. Second is the clutching and gearing. Its setup to ride in the mountains so you would have to change the clutching and gear to make it drive right on the trail. Third is going the be the ski stance. Depending on the year your will have either a 36 or a 38 inch stance so the sled is going to be tippy feeling. Other then that you could trail ride it. I know people that trail ride a 153 and a 162 is only a couple inches longer.

you can trail ride it as is but it will need a set of scratchers for the slider plastic to live any legnth of time on trail. my brother trail rode a 09 apex mtx with stock everything and that is what he had to do to get the sliders to live. he is waiting on track to blow/wear out before he puts a shorter lug track on it. have to watch the throttle as it does hit the limiter on long pulls but we will clutch it some year. only other mod he has done is put a stock width apex ltx front end on it last season as he prefers that width even off trail. i do not reccomend cutting the lugs down on an mtx track to trail height as we have found that they trench a lot worse than a 1-1/4" ripsaw in our area.

You can trail ride it but there's a couple things you will have to change. First is the track lugs are too tall. You would have to cut them down to size. Second is the clutching and gearing. Its setup to ride in the mountains so you would have to change the clutching and gear to make it drive right on the trail. Third is going the be the ski stance. Depending on the year your will have either a 36 or a 38 inch stance so the sled is going to be tippy feeling. Other then that you could trail ride it. I know people that trail ride a 153 and a 162 is only a couple inches longer.
you can trail ride it as is but it will need a set of scratchers for the slider plastic to live any legnth of time on trail. my brother trail rode a 09 apex mtx with stock everything and that is what he had to do to get the sliders to live. he is waiting on track to blow/wear out before he puts a shorter lug track on it. have to watch the throttle as it does hit the limiter on long pulls but we will clutch it some year. only other mod he has done is put a stock width apex ltx front end on it last season as he prefers that width even off trail. i do not reccomend cutting the lugs down on an mtx track to trail height as we have found that they trench a lot worse than a 1-1/4" ripsaw in our area.

Thanks for the input. All new to me. It's a16 and comes with scratchers so that is a plus. Didn't know about elevation as I ride in u.p. of Michigan. Old man style riding so 100mph is a thing of the past.

Honestly I would move on, spend the $1500 more and get an xtx or ltx, the narrow front will be tippy as mentioned above, the gearing and clutching might get you 70mph on the trail, not always and that's pushing it, the length of the 162" will not corner very well, and if you cut down the track even to 1.75"( tallest I would go for trail riding), the lugs will be too hard for a good ride, I'm assuming the sled has the 3" or 2.6" power claw track, good luck with your purchase.

Buddy rides a 15’ MTX 153 and he is a 50/50 rider. Honestly I’m surprised how long the slides last and it tops out in the upper 70’s on the trail. No one wants to follow him with that 2.6” power claw tossing Ice Chunks. At least the 153” has crossover tracks avalible, the 162 doesn’t.

I trail ride a 162. I absolutely love it. I did make changers. like sway bar but its not absoulutley necessary. My buddy bought one and I told him he was crazy until I rode it. I went up next day and bought one myself. I ride off trail too. Its hooked up all the time like having picks and chisels. Im running the turbo arctic cats. My top speed is 96 mph with programmer(runs out of gear) . The 2.6 is little much for trails but 2.25 and run scratchers on anything marginal Ive got over 5k miles on. I do my own suspension and it can be made to ride REALLY good. My buddy has a 16 137 cat and I prefer ride of mine on trails(plusher). Triming track is easy with a skill saw. I trimmed down to 2 inch for my trail sled and my other I for off trail I left at 2.6.

A 153 gives you more track options. I picked up set of ice age 153 rails for 130.00 on ebay. Im thinking of trying the 1.75 back country 153 track, whenever I finally wear out my 2.25 162

The 153 rails will bolt right onto the 162 arms. 141 and up all same arms.. WEll except for 2016 and newer mountain skids.

Back